What injectors are best for running with TS chip? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

What injectors are best for running with TS chip?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What injectors are best for running with TS chip?

  #1  
Old 10-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Byerkie
Byerkie is online now
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Byerkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
What injectors are best for running with TS chip?

Im new to this form and hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a farely stock 2000 7.3 (155k) with TS 6pos chip upgraded air intake. The engine has a couple injectors/orings going bad so i figured it would be worth upgrading them all together in the process of fixing it. I would like to get the most power possible (safely) out of the new ones but, without having an upgrading domino effect. Ive seen people talk about 160/30%-80%-100% but, mixed opinions so any advice would be appreciated!
 
  #2  
Old 10-27-2018, 06:50 PM
pirate4x4_camo's Avatar
pirate4x4_camo
pirate4x4_camo is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,769
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Stock because you will need specific tunes to run the single shot injectors.
 
  #3  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Byerkie
Byerkie is online now
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Byerkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Stock because you will need specific tunes to run the single shot injectors.
i was reading that the chip needs to be reburned for the new injectors i just dont know what level injectors i could run without blowing up my stock trans and turbo
 
  #4  
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM
pirate4x4_camo's Avatar
pirate4x4_camo
pirate4x4_camo is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,769
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Byerkie View Post
i was reading that the chip needs to be reburned for the new injectors i just dont know what level injectors i could run without blowing up my stock trans and turbo
that is why I said stock injectors, you need diffrent tunes to run single shot injectors.
 
  #5  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Byerkie
Byerkie is online now
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Byerkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was on full force diesel and they will reburn the chip for free, just gotta send it to them for a little bit.
 
  #6  
Old 10-27-2018, 11:52 PM
pirate4x4_camo's Avatar
pirate4x4_camo
pirate4x4_camo is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,769
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Byerkie View Post
I was on full force diesel and they will reburn the chip for free, just gotta send it to them for a little bit.
so will swamps and others with purchase of the injectors.
 
  #7  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:22 AM
axmrdr
axmrdr is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 232
axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm no expert but you can get plenty of power from stock injectors and not have the domino effect that you mention. These trucks can empty a wallet. Stock injectors and a good tune will go a long way in making one happy with the performance.
 
  #8  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO's Avatar
P4IN COMM4NDO
P4IN COMM4NDO is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 533
P4IN COMM4NDO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Strongly suggest getting the chip reburned if you got it with stock tunes. If you got it from a tuning company it should be fine but TS tunes are known to eat 4R100s
 
  #9  
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM
brian42's Avatar
brian42
brian42 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,270
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
There are way too many options to list. First decide on what you want to use the truck for then go from there. Plenty of us on here willing to share our good (and bad) experiences with setups, vendors, and "good ideas".

Also talk to some of the shops/vendors and see what they recommend for your "setup". See if there's anything common between them and who they recommend to complement their product (tuners for their injectors and injectors for their tunes). Each shop/vendor also has their own warranty/update policy so take that into account along with their price.

As axmrdr said, this can empty your wallet pretty quick. I did this last year and I finished with a bill probably double what I expected. Injectors, tunes, cups, harnesses, gaskets, glow plugs, Hydra, and the list goes on from there.

It's hard to not dive in when you've got it all apart and go hog wild with updating/replacing aging parts then go big with everything ("buy once...cry once"). You also have to consider the other things you have to do to support your goal. Beefier HPOP, fuel system upgrades, transmission rebuild, driveline refresh, and tractions bars can be a real consideration depending on where you go with power. These trucks weren't meant for too much more power than they came with so keep that in mind.

Good luck and we all look forward to helping you spend your money!

Just my .02
 
  #10  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Byerkie
Byerkie is online now
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Byerkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
There are way too many options to list. First decide on what you want to use the truck for then go from there. Plenty of us on here willing to share our good (and bad) experiences with setups, vendors, and "good ideas".

Also talk to some of the shops/vendors and see what they recommend for your "setup". See if there's anything common between them and who they recommend to complement their product (tuners for their injectors and injectors for their tunes). Each shop/vendor also has their own warranty/update policy so take that into account along with their price.

As axmrdr said, this can empty your wallet pretty quick. I did this last year and I finished with a bill probably double what I expected. Injectors, tunes, cups, harnesses, gaskets, glow plugs, Hydra, and the list goes on from there.

It's hard to not dive in when you've got it all apart and go hog wild with updating/replacing aging parts then go big with everything ("buy once...cry once"). You also have to consider the other things you have to do to support your goal. Beefier HPOP, fuel system upgrades, transmission rebuild, driveline refresh, and tractions bars can be a real consideration depending on where you go with power. These trucks weren't meant for too much more power than they came with so keep that in mind.

Good luck and we all look forward to helping you spend your money!

Just my .02
yeah, overall i want more power and to replace my original injectors with something bigger but, i dont want to get into upgrading frenzy. Ideally i was thinking
-4" straight pipe
-6632 air filter
-Ts chip
-wicked wheel 2
+larger injectors
i would like the truck to last as a daily, non-tow driver 10k miles a year but, i want more power without blowing it up or its on to a 6.7L
 
  #11  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM
brian42's Avatar
brian42
brian42 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,270
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
If you're driving a 2000 then you have forged rods and don't have to take PMRs into account like I did.

In hindsight I should have stuck with fresh new OEM injectors. That's not very sexy so nobody will listen to that, I know I wouldn't have a year and a half ago...and I didn't: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-band-aid.html

I won't give any speeches (I just deleted one after I read it and decided not to get on my soapbox), just make sure you know what you are looking for.

I will say this: I was looking for longevity as well when I entered this. There's plenty of paramters that you can push over the OEM limit to get results but IMO that goes against my previous sentence. I was all set for higher ICP (I have a higher volume HPOP and the new design lines) and eventually get a GTP38R (should clear up some of my haze, I can hit 40 psi and it passes smog) among other things. I learned that keeping things lower will keep things alive longer. I've now realized that I want to keep things at or under the OEM limit...mostly .

I know that's not cool but it's something to keep in mind. It's going to take a lot more than injectors and tuning if you are planning to have a little fun on Friday night and think you are going surprise that Camaro/Camry/WRX/Fiat 500 next to you at the stoplight, even if you get the holeshot.
 
  #12  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Stewart_H's Avatar
Stewart_H
Stewart_H is online now
The Nekkid Super Mod
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Coast of CA
Posts: 27,873
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I did this last year and I finished with a bill probably double what I expected. Injectors, tunes, cups, harnesses, gaskets, glow plugs, Hydra, and the list goes on from there.
Minus the gaskets and cups, I'm doing the same thing to my Ex in a couple weeks.

160/80's, Hydra, 4 glow plugs (did the passenger side a couple years ago when one went bad), and 2 new UVCH's.

To the OP, who provided the tuning for the TS Chip you have? Keep in mind you have to physically send the chip to whomever you want to write the tunes for your singles. If you upgrade to the Hydra or F6, you can have tunes emailed to you.

Stewart
 

Last edited by Stewart_H; 11-09-2018 at 01:34 PM.
  #13  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 PM
HD Rider's Avatar
HD Rider
HD Rider is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Glendive, MT
Posts: 1,760
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
If I had to do it over, 160/80/SS.
Single shots because they are more efficient and will gain about 1-2 mpg. 160/80 will get you the power you're looking for without going too far overboard and requiring a bank full of money for supporting mods. A turbo upgrade might be in your future to clean up the smoke and get the most out of those injectors. You'll need to send your chip in for reburn with tunes matching the new injectors and setup.
You can see what I'm running in my signature.
 
  #14  
Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Byerkie
Byerkie is online now
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Byerkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
If I had to do it over, 160/80/SS.
Single shots because they are more efficient and will gain about 1-2 mpg. 160/80 will get you the power you're looking for without going too far overboard and requiring a bank full of money for supporting mods. A turbo upgrade might be in your future to clean up the smoke and get the most out of those injectors. You'll need to send your chip in for reburn with tunes matching the new injectors and setup.
You can see what I'm running in my signature.
thats what im shooting for, currently i have original injectors and i think some are on the way out so instead of replacing with stock why not spend the extra $400-$500 for better ones. Whats the difference in the 160/30 and 160/80?
 
  #15  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 764
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
The holes at the tips of injectors, 30% larger than stock, vs 80% 0 would give you better atomization, but slower to dump a full injector of fuel.
30% nozzles are just "ported" stock nozzles, 80% is a new nozzle that actually comes that size to begin with. Tune writers prefer 80% because they are consistent to tune for while 30% depends on who ported the nozzle so results can be inconsistent with the same tune on different trucks' injectors
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.