2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Extra Intelligent Access Key deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM
BillRes2
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We ordered a spare for our 2019 F350. The only thing critical is the cutting of the key. The only reason for us to have it done is the spare tire release. The glove box and the rear seat storage we will probably never lock as we feel locking them would cause more damage that the value of any potential contents. Are we wrong?
Bill

Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Getting the blank is cheap. Getting it cut is expensive
Not if you have friends @ the dealership ...

Old 11-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Raptor Rob
Senior User
Thanks for the link. I ordered 2. One for My 17 PSD and one for My Wife's 18 Expedition. I'm hoping this one works for the Expedition..Oh btw I got an extra 10% off somehow, so I got 2 Keys shipped for $141.00 not bad when the Dealership wants double that for 1 Key . Thanks again for the link and all of the savings.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:53 PM
sdenn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor Rob
Thanks for the link. I ordered 2. One for My 17 PSD and one for My Wife's 18 Expedition. I'm hoping this one works for the Expedition..
I can't tell the difference between this one and the factory ones, they may be identical for all I know. I've been very happy with it and although not cheap every little bit helps.
One locksmith even had the gall to charge $450 for key, cutting, and programming. I just hope nobody falls for that trap. Again this forum is great!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Raptor Rob
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdenn
I can't tell the difference between this one and the factory ones, they may be identical for all I know. I've been very happy with it and although not cheap every little bit helps.
One locksmith even had the gall to charge $450 for key, cutting, and programming. I just hope nobody falls for that trap. Again this forum is great!
The only difference I can tell, is on the expedition there's a picture of a hatchback instead of a tailgate. I can't imagine why this wouldn't work. If it doesn't, I will have 4 keys for My Truck.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Paulgl32
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one from Amazon warehouse (open package new key) 59$ I programed with the instructions in the book and never cut it. It works

Old 11-07-2018, 06:08 PM
AceRed
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here's reality.
You can program your own key if you have 2 working ORIGINAL keys. No clones allowed.
The key your buying may or may not be an OEM. Non OEM's are much cheaper.
These keys need to be cut on a Sidewinder key machine. Not everyone has them. Actually very few have them. Not everyone will cut them if you bring them in to their store. We stopped cutting internet purchased keys. We ruined a couple of cutters and wheels and it isn't worth it. At $154 per wheel and about $70 for a cutter, we stopped taking that chance.
The major cost of these keys are the thousands spent for the machines that program the keys and the money for the specialty key machines. As an example, I have nearly $7000 invested in equipment to cut and program these keys.
The price listed on that site is really cheap. We have OEM keys and that key is $115. That's for a non push button start truck. That site wanted $69 so I doubt it was OEM. But if it works and holds up and you don't need it cut or programmed at a dealer or somewhere with the proper equipment, then your in cheap.
I would check around to make sure someone will cut it for you. I have been in discussion with many other stores and the majority are starting to shy away from cutting keys bought somewhere else. So check around first.

Hope that helps clarify some things up for folks.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 579 Likes on 384 Posts
I've purchased Keys for multiple Ford and Lexus vehicles from carandtruckremotes.com with no issues. The remotes for the Ford and Lexus are OEM, not clones.

I've bought keys for 2-2014 F150's, 2- 2016 F150's, My 2017 F350 Lariat, just received a key for my 2018 Ford Focus Titanium and just ordered a set for my 2019 Ford Lariat Ultimate today. The one for my 2018 Focus was the most expensive at $112 delivered.

My local Ford dealer's parts department has cut these keys for me for no charge. I just need to give them a copy of my registration with the VIN number and confirm I am the owner. I negotiate cutting a key I provide up front when I buy the vehicle.

My Lexus dealer would not cut a clone key and wanted the OEM bag that my internet purchased key came in before they would cut it. They charged to cut the key and program it but it was several hundreds of dolloars cheaper than buying from them. They said they had the same issue with cutters being ruined by clone keys and would only cut OEM keys.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 PM
SCAPBT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by AceRed
Ok, here's reality.
You can program your own key if you have 2 working ORIGINAL keys. No clones allowed.
The key your buying may or may not be an OEM. Non OEM's are much cheaper.
These keys need to be cut on a Sidewinder key machine. Not everyone has them. Actually very few have them. Not everyone will cut them if you bring them in to their store. We stopped cutting internet purchased keys. We ruined a couple of cutters and wheels and it isn't worth it. At $154 per wheel and about $70 for a cutter, we stopped taking that chance.
The major cost of these keys are the thousands spent for the machines that program the keys and the money for the specialty key machines. As an example, I have nearly $7000 invested in equipment to cut and program these keys.
The price listed on that site is really cheap. We have OEM keys and that key is $115. That's for a non push button start truck. That site wanted $69 so I doubt it was OEM. But if it works and holds up and you don't need it cut or programmed at a dealer or somewhere with the proper equipment, then your in cheap.
I would check around to make sure someone will cut it for you. I have been in discussion with many other stores and the majority are starting to shy away from cutting keys bought somewhere else. So check around first.

Hope that helps clarify some things up for folks.
So if i only have one key for my truck. the replacement will not be able to be programmed? Why? When i purchased the truck it came with one key fob. That is why i am trying to purchase an extra key. Can you explain why it will be unable to be programmed?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SCAPBT
So if i only have one key for my truck. the replacement will not be able to be programmed? Why? When i purchased the truck it came with one key fob. That is why i am trying to purchase an extra key. Can you explain why it will be unable to be programmed?
A dealer or most good locksmiths with the proper computer and software can program a second key if you only have one working key. They actually delete both keys from your truck computer and then program 2 key fobs.

You can program a key yourself only as long as you have 2 already programmed Ford OEM keys. The procedure is in your owner manual. If a second key could be programmed by anyone with only one working key then any valet would be able to program a key and steal your truck.

THAT’S WHY I ALWAYS insist on 2 keys with the vehicle and immediately buy and program a 3rd key for any car I own. If you ever loose one of your 2 original keys you are at the mercy of the dealer.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM
AceRed
Senior User
I looked up the instructions for the 2017 and 2018 Trucks. Turns out the software is still in development for us to program them. Here are the instructions for the 2018.
Note:IMPORTANT!- Adding additional keys or keyless remotes to this vehicle is only available if you have 2 available currently programmed keys. Programming for if you have only 1 or 0 currently programmed keys or keyless remotes available is currently still in developement. To add a third key or keyless select Preferred Option FLM_K03 or use the On Board Programming Instructions. --The Programming Slot for the push-to-start version of this vehicle is located in the bottom of the storage tray underneath the climate controls. Place the remote in the slot with the buttons facing up. There is second potential location for the programming slot. If the vehicle has 3 front seats lift up and fold back the center seat, the programming slot should be located at the rear of the compartment underneath the middle seat.

Here's the instructions we have for the 2017
Note:IMPORTANT!- If programming a transponder key as a replacement for the OEM flip key remote you must use a 128 bit transponder, an 80 bit will not program. -- Key and Proximity Remote programming for F-250 and larger is currently not supported. Some early year F-250s have been found to still use this system, but all F-350 and larger models use an unsupported system. For these vehicles you can still add a third key if you already have 2 currently programmed keys available, select FLM_K03 for this procedure. --The Programming Slot for the push-to-start version of this vehicle is located in the bottom of the storage tray underneath the climate controls. Place the remote in the slot with the buttons facing up. There is second potential location for the programming slot. If the vehicle has 3 front seats lift up and fold back the center seat, the programming slot should be located at the rear of the compartment underneath the middle seat. --If vehicle alarm is active and you have no means to deactivate it you will have to wait 10 minutes after the alarm starts and then the horn will beep twice. Immediately following the horn beeping there is a small window to access the system. In order to ensure that you access the system within the time frame you will need to start the procedure while waiting for the horn to beep. Select the preferred option for programming and precede with steps until you reach the step that says "Turn Ignition Off". Leave it sit on that step until the horn beeps then immediately press Continue and follow the remaining steps.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AceRed
I looked up the instructions for the 2017 and 2018 Trucks. Turns out the software is still in development for us to program them. Here are the instructions for the 2018.
Note:IMPORTANT!- Adding additional keys or keyless remotes to this vehicle is only available if you have 2 available currently programmed keys. Programming for if you have only 1 or 0 currently programmed keys or keyless remotes available is currently still in developement. To add a third key or keyless select Preferred Option FLM_K03 or use the On Board Programming Instructions. --The Programming Slot for the push-to-start version of this vehicle is located in the bottom of the storage tray underneath the climate controls. Place the remote in the slot with the buttons facing up. There is second potential location for the programming slot. If the vehicle has 3 front seats lift up and fold back the center seat, the programming slot should be located at the rear of the compartment underneath the middle seat.

Here's the instructions we have for the 2017
Note:IMPORTANT!- If programming a transponder key as a replacement for the OEM flip key remote you must use a 128 bit transponder, an 80 bit will not program. -- Key and Proximity Remote programming for F-250 and larger is currently not supported. Some early year F-250s have been found to still use this system, but all F-350 and larger models use an unsupported system. For these vehicles you can still add a third key if you already have 2 currently programmed keys available, select FLM_K03 for this procedure. --The Programming Slot for the push-to-start version of this vehicle is located in the bottom of the storage tray underneath the climate controls. Place the remote in the slot with the buttons facing up. There is second potential location for the programming slot. If the vehicle has 3 front seats lift up and fold back the center seat, the programming slot should be located at the rear of the compartment underneath the middle seat. --If vehicle alarm is active and you have no means to deactivate it you will have to wait 10 minutes after the alarm starts and then the horn will beep twice. Immediately following the horn beeping there is a small window to access the system. In order to ensure that you access the system within the time frame you will need to start the procedure while waiting for the horn to beep. Select the preferred option for programming and precede with steps until you reach the step that says "Turn Ignition Off". Leave it sit on that step until the horn beeps then immediately press Continue and follow the remaining steps.

AceRed,

Thanks for posting. So your software doesn’t yet have capability to program an additional key if you only have one already programmed key. Dealerships do have that capability using their computers and their software.

i’ve used the owner’s manual on board programming instructions recently to program my Ford Focus Titanium push button start remote. It’s exacly the same procedure as listed in the 2019 F350 owner’s manual fir push button start remote below. It was simple and took less than one minute.

My ordered F350 key fob is on the way today. Looking forward to getting it and programming it.

Another interesting thing i’ve read is that some 3rd party lease lenders keep one of the 2 original keys so they can recover the car/truck if the leasee fails to pay on time.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM
AceRed
Senior User
I was very surprised to find they didn't have the software for the Super Duty's. We are doing Just about everything except German cars and can cover 91% of the market. At least I can order the FOB's and folks can do onboard program. I recommend that for anyone/everyone. Having 2 original keys in case you lose one is a good thing to have.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
AceRed, What would you charge to cut a blade if I gave you my key codes?
You can PM if this offtopic

Old 11-08-2018, 04:38 PM
AceRed
Senior User
I don't have a code cutting machine. We can only copy the sidewinder keys. We do not cut keys anymore from other sources. Only our own. There's too many knock-offs that destroy cutting wheels quickly.
And of course if you start making exceptions it opens up a new can of worms. 16 - 18 year old employees don't do well when given those types of choices, lol.

Quick Reply: Extra Intelligent Access Key deal