1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Steve_F
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk when going over bumps

Need help figuring something out on my truck, 2003 f250 4x4. I’ve been on here with same question and replaced several parts as per recommendations. The parts I mention as being replaced were all worn out. Still can’t figure it out.

There is a hard clunk coming from right under my feet as I’m driving, I can feel it in my left foot like someone is hitting right under it with a hammer. I’ve replaced all tie rods with mood heavy duty parts, sway bar link and bushings. Shocks are brand new, rotors and calipers are brand new. Basically my whole front end suspension and steering is brand new. What do u think this could be?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:54 PM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you check the track bar?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have bumped your old thread so we wouldn't recommend you replace the same things twice. That's what forums are for.

What is the truck doing when the clunk occurs? Have you checked or replaced motor mounts? Trans mounts?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:36 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Double check your shocks; that was the cause of a mysterious bump in my truck. Grab the shock and wiggle it; it shouldn’t wiggle, so if it does, that’s most likely the cause

Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Steve_F
Junior User
To be more clear on what I have done to try fixing this knock... all parts I mentioned were replaced and torqued down to spec. I’ve double checked to make sure nothing came loose on me. Track bar, all tie rods and tie rod ends, shocks, brake rotors and calipers, sway bar links and sway bar bushings. Had a friend help and we each took turns under the truck looking for the culprit while the other was jumping on the bumper trying to recreate the sound, which we couldn’t do (speed bumps and big pot holes seem to be the thing that gets it clunking). Neither of us saw anything questionable. There is a very little bit of play in my hub assembly and wheel bearings causing a minor sway on highways. They will be getting replaced this weekend. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they are the cause of the loud clunk I feel hitting directly under my foot when I drive over speed bumps. Could the wheel bearing cause this clunk? I have a friend that was a ford mechanic for years. After telling him about this and what I have already done, he said it is likely the cab mounts. What are everyone’s thoughts on it being cab mounts?

Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 AM
slpcth
Senior User
Not to be redundant, but did you physically remove and check or replace the track bar? It's torqued to 400 ft lbs so just checking the bolts isn't going to show a problem. I just replaced mine for the same reason, a clunk and steering sway. Once I got the old bar off and got a good visual on the bushings it was evident how bad they were.

​​​​​​Paul

Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Cyotie911
New User
Originally Posted by Steve_F
To be more clear on what I have done to try fixing this knock... all parts I mentioned were replaced and torqued down to spec. I’ve double checked to make sure nothing came loose on me. Track bar, all tie rods and tie rod ends, shocks, brake rotors and calipers, sway bar links and sway bar bushings. Had a friend help and we each took turns under the truck looking for the culprit while the other was jumping on the bumper trying to recreate the sound, which we couldn’t do (speed bumps and big pot holes seem to be the thing that gets it clunking). Neither of us saw anything questionable. There is a very little bit of play in my hub assembly and wheel bearings causing a minor sway on highways. They will be getting replaced this weekend. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they are the cause of the loud clunk I feel hitting directly under my foot when I drive over speed bumps. Could the wheel bearing cause this clunk? I have a friend that was a ford mechanic for years. After telling him about this and what I have already done, he said it is likely the cab mounts. What are everyone’s thoughts on it being cab mounts?
My 2 cents from experience:
I say that I have heard cab mounts being the culprit of a "Thunk" noise before, Your best bet to check that is to place a decent sized board under a solid part of your frame in the area of the noise and carefully jack your truck up (not off the ground mind you, just with a little bit of pressure so that you can start seeing the cab go up) with the jack on the board (Note, you don't want to put your jack directly on the cab itself the localized pressure point of the jack could go though the cab floor). Once you have some pressure applied, check your cab bushings and see if there is any separation or if the cab stays taught to the frame. If it separates, that's more than likely your cause. If it's not, you might also check the trans mounts while you are down there although I if they are bad, you would more than likely hear it when your truck shifts unless you drive like Miss Daisy and let the trans casually shift between gears.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:19 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Check your spare tire. Sometimes it can clunk and thump if it isn't tightly held.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:47 AM
CousinJordo
Senior User

This may be a long shot....but I had a mysterious thunk that I could feel in my feet, I couldn’t recreate it manually and it only occurred over potholes/bumps, etc at a decent speed. Sound familiar?

I ended up finding it by chance. It was my drivers side rear door. The catch bar for the door latch gets worn out over time and allows the door to have play. Go out and push on the door near the handle. If it makes any clicking noise at all, this may be your loud thunk.

All i I did was wrap a round or two of electrical tape around the catch where the latch hits it. Magically, the thunk hasn’t returned and he door latches tight. I doubt the tape will last long, but I haven’t been able to find the part online so I just need to go scrapyard hunting.

Anxious to hear if this works!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM
gfl
Tuned
could try engaging the hubs to see if it goes away, i had one that rattled. that and sway bar links solved mine. good luck

Old 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Steve_F
Need help figuring something out on my truck, 2003 f250 4x4. I’ve been on here with same question and replaced several parts as per recommendations. The parts I mention as being replaced were all worn out. Still can’t figure it out.

There is a hard clunk coming from right under my feet as I’m driving, I can feel it in my left foot like someone is hitting right under it with a hammer. I’ve replaced all tie rods with mood heavy duty parts, sway bar link and bushings. Shocks are brand new, rotors and calipers are brand new. Basically my whole front end suspension and steering is brand new. What do u think this could be?

Did you ever get this figured out? Did you check the door latch?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 PM
txjfrosty
Junior User
Curious what your findings were? My truck just started with this same issue this past week. Loud clunk hitting bumps on the passenger side. Even just a small 1" bump from the road to the concrete driveway.

I did look at my passenger side shock ( Fox 2.0) and it looks like it's blown. I am pretty sure this is going to be my clunk. Although I'm kinda pissed since these are only a year old.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Steve_F
Junior User
I ended up replacing just about everything, as stated in previous comments. The final thing I replaced that solved the problem was both the front bearings/hub assemblies. While doing this I checked everything to see it was tightened and torqued to spec. I did notice that the drivers side front shock was a little loose, not much though, so I tightened it before reassembling (my clunk was coming from drivers side right under my feet). That could have been the problem. It was either that or the hub assemblies, which were rusted and looked horrible. I no longer have that clunk no matter what size bump I go over at any speed. Like you, I would also get a clunk when pulling into a driveway and going over the small lip of the concrete. I’d def replace your shock if they are messed up, hopefully that solves it. If not, read all the comments in this thread, I basically checked them all and had no lick until I replaced the hub assemblies and tightened the drivers side shock

Old 11-14-2018, 03:09 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I’m willing to bet that in the end it was the slightly loose shock that was the culprit. It’s amazing how the tiniest bit of movement can cause the amount of noise it does.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Steve_F
Junior User
Originally Posted by seville009
I’m willing to bet that in the end it was the slightly loose shock that was the culprit. It’s amazing how the tiniest bit of movement can cause the amount of noise it does.

Could be, but these were pretty shot. Im just glad the noise is gone and that truck is driving like new again