Differences between low end Trims - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Differences between low end Trims

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 AM
localrick13
New User
localrick13 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi On the Topic of Differences between low end Trims
I'm on the fence trying to decide between XL & XLT. Regular Cab.
I have some questions about Keys, Sync3, Seat and Wheels.

Keys. Which trim has the smallest key? Does XLT come with the larger FOB? Does the XL come with the smaller keyhead remote? Maybe it's related to the upgrades you select. Power & Value packages will be included in my build as well as all the pay-for upgrades including Sync3,BLIS,Remote Start. I'm hoping I can get the XLT with the small key keyhead remote. I read the manual about the keys and I see there are these 2 types, but can't figure out what to expect.

Sync3. From the build & price, I see the XL model has a different looking 8" screen with the buttons on the left and right. The XLT & up models all have the Sync3 with the buttons in the panel below the screen with nothing surrounding the 8" screen. I could care less about the buttons, but want to double check that the Syn3 is the same between the trims.

Seat. I wonder if the XLT model is shipping with 8-way power drivers seat. Power & Value packages will be included in my build. I am confused because in the build & price it mentions the 8-way power seat only available in Super Cab and Crew Cab but when I look at recent '19 model window stickers online I see Regular Cab XLTs with power seat.

Wheels. Does anyone know if they will build a F-350 XLT with the 18" argent steel wheels? In the '18 Pickup Specs document the 18" steel wheels are only available on F-350. It doesn't say they're limited to XL. Fingers are crossed on this one. anti bling is probably more important to me than it should be.

Thank You for reading my post
Double thank you for feedback

Old 10-10-2018, 08:52 AM
WyoBull
Elder User
WyoBull is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In my opinion, which won't get you a decent cup of coffee any more, is that the best value for the money is the XLT Premium package. At least for me, it has all of the options I actually use and want with none of the frilly ones that I don't care about which may also fail and cause me problems down the road.
I like the heated cloth seats and driver power seat on this package. I like the Sync 3 with the larger screen (I now have an Apple iPhone and really like the Apple Carplay over the Android Auto I had been using with my truck. I think the navigation from Ford is a waste of money since with Sync 3 I can use Google Maps, Waze etc.
I would compare the options between the different trim packages and pick which one fits the things you must have and go with that. For me, that was the XLT Premium package.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM
localrick13
New User
XLT Premium package isn't offered on Regular Cab only Value package. When I consider a Super Cab, I do look close at the Premium package but what makes me lean toward Value is all the chrome.

and yeah I'm with you on the Nav. Android Auto is the way to go.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
dksmith17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have XL (actually STX) with remote start.... I have a fold out key with 4 buttons.

I'm pretty sure the sync 3 is the exact same between XL + XLT

IIRC the main potential differences between XL + XLT (if optioned)... power adjusted driver seat. Power adjusted pedals. Under seat rear storage box. A little chrome on interior

Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMHO, the STX is the best bang for the buck. Add Sync 3. Oh, if you don't want bling (chrome bumpers, grill, nice wheels), get base XL with power equipment group and Sync 3.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just noticed, to get Sync 3, you have to order XL Value Pkg or STX. Both add chrome bumpers. The XL Value Pkg allows you to keep 18" steel wheels.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 AM
localrick13
New User
Hmm. I need to take another look at the types of keys. Is yours the same key as in the higher grade trims?
Good to hear about the Sync3 functionality.
That would make me happy if XLT comes with power seats. but I always thought there was some sort of space limit as to why the regular cab didn't come with an option for power eats. It threw me when I saw the option in window stickers online. When you mention rear storage, yeah that's one of the big pluses when I consider super cab.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Kaadk
Junior User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.
As I recall, back when I was building my 2018, there were a few options not available on the XLT that were available on the XL, like the Auto Dimming rearview mirror, integrated Garage door opener, etc... Don't know why they didn't have a way to get them on that trim, but there they were. It's one of the peeves that pushed me into a Lariat, all the little bells and whistles that weren't available in the XLT.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
I don't believe XLT allows you to option the remote tailgate open or "intelligent access" .... AKA push button start. So, they should be exactly the same keys, only difference might be the remote start option, which is an option for both XL and XLT trims

I'm pretty sure the rear storage box you get is for crew cab only. I initially wanted this but I'm actually glad I don't have this. I'd rather have a completely flat floor and can add my own box or bags or whatever.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
The XL trucks in base tim have a standard key if ordered without PATS or power equipment group.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I can tell you with certainty the XL and XLT will have the same exact key...the smaller one. Of course, without the power pack on an XL you are getting just a plain key with no remote entry.

I don't think a regular cab XLT gets a power seat at all. Even if it does, keep in mind it really is a 6-way power seat. It power slides forward and back, and can raise the front of the seat base or the rear. Backrest angle will always be manual. The "8th" power function is power lumbar. I'd rather have the power backrest.

Sync 3 is the same regardless of trim level...same screen. The Build & Price is likely showing you the smaller radio that commonly comes in the XL's and base XLT's...a 4.2" display with buttons on both sides. Actual Sync 3 is an 8" touchscreen.

If you do NOT order Sync 3, a base XL will come with an auto-dimming rearview mirror with a small monitor in it to display the rear view camera. This satisfies the government mandate that all vehicles have a backup camera. However, with Sync 3 you will not get an auto-dimming mirror at all.

XLT is going to get alloy rims; there is no steel rim option on an XLT. A base XL will have 17" steel rims and can be optioned for the 18" steel rims.

XL doesn't have some of the shiny interior trim an XLT does, such as on the air vents or door panels. XLT also comes standard with cloth seats and carpet on the floor; XL gives you vinyl seats and floor. You can option for cloth seats on an XL.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One thing my XLT Premium has that I've never had on previous XLTs is power retracting and folding mirrors. Very nice for drive through tellers and other drive up services.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM
hlozano
Senior User
hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
In my opinion, which won't get you a decent cup of coffee any more, is that the best value for the money is the XLT Premium package. At least for me, it has all of the options I actually use and want with none of the frilly ones that I don't care about which may also fail and cause me problems down the road.
I like the heated cloth seats and driver power seat on this package. I like the Sync 3 with the larger screen (I now have an Apple iPhone and really like the Apple Carplay over the Android Auto I had been using with my truck. I think the navigation from Ford is a waste of money since with Sync 3 I can use Google Maps, Waze etc.
I would compare the options between the different trim packages and pick which one fits the things you must have and go with that. For me, that was the XLT Premium package.
+1 on WyoBull's comment. I didn't need/want the upper trim levels. I chose the XLT with XLT Premium package because it has everything i wanted. I targeted the 18" wheels with the 3.55 gear ratio since I tow. Tailgate step was a must since I'm short, fifth wheel prep package. Didn't care about BLISS, Remote Start or Navigation. Who needs NAV when you have Apple Car play that works with iOS maps and now Google maps and Waze. The only thing I wish I had is the CHMSL camera. I ended up installing a backup camera inside the back window that's wired to an LCD display under my dash. It works but would be nice to have that view on my 8" display.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
I would have probably gone XLT if they offered vinyl seats

mini rant coming....

It blows my mind that you can't get a super duty truck with vinyl and a console.
Even more, I'm amazed vinyl isn't a more popular seat option. Look at any 10 year old truck with cloth they look awful even with good care.
You can do some cool stuff with vinyl these days. Look at how far vinyl floors have come in recent years. Even the base ford vinyl is really nice... just imagine a premium vinyl.
And all of this is happening as leather is declining in quality, isn't breathable, stains and tears easily. The "leather" of today feels like a less durable vinyl.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 AM
delorenzomp
Senior User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
how is the vinyl vs cloth in the summertime...in particular, getting into a hot vehicle, starting the A/C and driving off...am I going to be sticking to the seat? I agree on the condition of cloth after years, wear spots that allow the foam to shine through, how is the vinyl? does it wear well? do the stitched seams hold up? Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.