Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Advice

Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Joshua Dishong
Junior User
Joshua Dishong is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tranny Advice

Been saving up some $$$ looking at replacing my TC (marbles-in-a-tin-can) variety with a beefed up tripple disc one...figured I'd do a 6.0 cooler, full fluid exchange, and add an upgraded valve-body while it was going to have to be R&R'd anyway...

I'm at the point where I'd be ready to pull the trigger by the end of this month, but I'm starting to question whether it would just be better to wait until she blows and put in an HD4R100 ...

It only has 106k on the odometer, had fluids changed by dealer at 75k (previous owner, have record), but has had the "noisy converter" going back at least 15k mi before that according to him ... so figure 45-50k on the TC since it started...I've had it since 80k...no problems shifts firm, holds well towing...it's only ever been used for recreational towing (RV) by both the PO and myself.

My goal/thinking would be to eliminate the noisy converter, and beef it up / increase the longevity with the upgrades...also help it hold up to a little higher HP when I get around to adding a hydra/tunes and who know's what else once you head down that rabbit hole...

Does anybody have experience with these noisy converters? If its been this long...am i already on borrowed time? I don't want to throw $2k at it, and then have the tranny blow in a year anyway and have to do the whole thing again...but at the same time, if I can spend 2k instead of 4k and get another 5+ years out of it...well then that is $2k more I can spend on other goodies, vacations, etc

Sorry for rambling, just looking for some opinions!

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Put a converter in it and a Tugger HD-2 kit.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Here’s my .02, My transmission shop does free inspections then based on the inspection they decide on the next step and the urgency of that step. I believe in preventative maintenance especially those things that can leave you on the side of the road. So, I would find a reputable shop and have them inspect everything, then decide what to do and when to do it.
I had my transmission rebuilt, triple disc TC, Tugger HD-2 shift kit it came to $3900 with unlimited mile warranty. It has worked flawlessly since the rebuild.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Kinda disagree with Dan.

If you've been shaking the paint can for 15 k it is time to look at a rebuild. My 99 did the same thing and I drove it until it crapped out at 8000 miles after the noise started.

Depends on how deep your wallet is. I had my original rebuilt with the tug kit and a new converter and that was 100,700 miles ago. I do maintain the trans and thus far no issues.

My truck had roughly 100k when done.

It did require a full flush of the entire system and since your throwing away your cooler for a 6.0 I would recommend not only driving it locally but get it scheduled asap. Fact is, they are a great trans after the upgraded kit and converter.

I tow a 29 fth wheel and a 10000 pd boat. (Not together unless beer is involved) but haven't had a problem since.

Denny (by the way, my out the door was 1700 bucks. No regrets.

The rattle you hear is the TC coming unglued and circulating thru the system. It stops at the filter but like blood, it's at the bottom of the heart. JS

Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Guess I do agree with Dan after a replay!!! Sorry Danno!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Joshua Dishong
Junior User
Joshua Dishong is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Kinda disagree with Dan.

If you've been shaking the paint can for 15 k it is time to look at a rebuild. My 99 did the same thing and I drove it until it crapped out at 8000 miles after the noise started.

Depends on how deep your wallet is. I had my original rebuilt with the tug kit and a new converter and that was 100,700 miles ago. I do maintain the trans and thus far no issues.

It did require a full flush of the entire system and since your throwing away your cooler for a 6.0 I would recommend not only driving it locally but get it scheduled asap. Fact is, they are a great trans after the upgraded kit and converter.

I tow a 29 fth wheel and a 10000 pd boat. (Not together unless beer is involved) but haven't had a problem since.

The rattle you hear is the TC coming unglued and circulating thru the system. It stops at the filter but like blood, it's at the bottom of the heart. JS

I had it checked by a local (to the PO) diesel specialty shop before I bought it. In addition to a test drive, he drained the fluid in the pan, and inspected it and told me everything looked perfect...that was about 20k mi ago, and about 25k mi after the PO said the rattle had started. He told me the issue was very common on 99ís and more of a nuisance than anything else....he told me to be aware of drastic changes to the noise as that was when it needed to be replaced.

My experiences are pretty much in line with what he told me with my only complaint about it being the noise...

so are you saying a rebuild is imminent and unavoidable in the immediate future?

I hadnt heard much much about the Tugger kit...Iíve been looking at either a JW or BTS valve body swap...would you be suggesting the tugger in lieu of one of those options? Can anyone who has a BTS or JW valve body installed chime in to compare?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
I'd change the convertor. Ford was back when. Sometimes they last and some times they just go out. It's that or rebuild. If you don't have a cooler on it change that to.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Just a side note on the trans cooler. Be aware that if you drive it until the trans fails you are looking at another new cooler. They are not TOO expensive, especially if you go with the Dorman, and I hear that they seem to have good quality and are near half the cost of OEM. Is OEM worth the extra cost? IDK but I have always been "get what you pay for" kind of guy.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
D&P builds a great billet torque converter in house and will build it to your specs if you want a specific stall., worth calling them if you are considering a billet converter as they are competively priced with the mass market stuff. (916) 921-6600

as to your current trans, have you tested the line pressure ? Specs are in the factory service manual but I’m sure you can also google it. If you are going to add a tugger valve body you may as well through in a set of Red Eagle clutches while you have the trans out, a new pump isn’t that much more $$ since you are already in deep.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
The "marbles in a can" sound, is a cracked flexplate. Nothing with the TC.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Wrongo Mary lou! I'm running th same inspected flex. It's definate that it's the tork. Been there done that.

Sounds like your shaking a rattle bomb next to a brick building...........TC's imploding. Only you get a french fry order instead of a Burgrer because they can't hear you. Yep, it's on the horizon.

Denny (just reb w tugger and torque and drive away.)

Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
On a side note Josh,

I apologize for myself and the crew! It's great and sometimes vital information, but we love to fix and banter. FTE, It's a great place.

What are your thoughts<?

Denny

Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
What exactly causes these converters to rattle and are all years susceptible to the same failure?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Kinda disagree with Dan.

Brevity...it's what I do!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 AM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What ever converter you get make sure it is a lower stall than factory, it will pull much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.