2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

No appointments at dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboytn
What I can’t understand is why I can’t get an appointment and keep my truck until they are ready to work on it. As for the oil change, I decided to do my own. I don’t like to to it but a least it’s cheaper and I can put the type and/or brand I want. No to mention, I know it’s done right. I’m going to call the service manager and talk to him about the no appointment rule especially. Hey thanks for all your support and advice. I’ll let you know the outcome.
Danny--they do. Just have to be in the right market I guess. Personally would not as stated above consider any other way. Do it with all my vehicles. As stated before it just depends on the Dealer --some are still in the 80's others have invested in infrastructure which includes scheduling/workload software etc etc. Those are the ones that typically have the best tech's --WHY? Because they are the most efficiently run and more volume comes their way.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Carnac22
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pocket
Most dealer service appointments are simply an appointment to see the service adviser and is rarely an appointment that affects where in the pecking order your vehicle is serviced. Vehicles aren't put into a service queue until after the repair order is created. Where a vehicle ends up in that queue will depend on the type of job, techs available, how busy the service department is, etc. Each dealer can manage this workload differently. Some dealers don't take appointments because in reality it rarely makes any difference. Some dealers may have limited bays, others might be short on techs. Then you get some dealers that don't have nearly enough work and can get yours into a bay immediately.

Some dealers have preferred customers, or you may have a relationship with your service department and they can work to put yours to the front of the line. Every dealer and every customer is different.

Then of course there's parts availability. Some repairs require parts that might not be available, backordered, or have limited availability.

Sometimes dealers get loaded up with repairs that leave vehicles stranded on the racks and the techs are sitting around waiting for parts and losing hours they can log.

There's so many variables. Basically what I'm getting at is appointments rarely matter. Best advice is to be friendly, explain as much detail about the problem with the service adviser, and understand that most other customers want the same thing you want.... to go to the front of the line. Each and every dealership can only handle so much workflow.
Excellent reply - my experience exactly. My earlier post was intended to convey what you (Pocket) posted - I didn't explain myself nearly as well.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The dealer I go to tries to make the appointment based on the schedule of the tech that's needed for your particular problem. I've never had a problem.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Brian_ct
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ct

3-4 weeks out here in Connecticut for an appointment

Old 10-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just experienced same. Had to just drop it off. Took 4 days to replace tail gate actuator. Paperwork said it cost $38. 4 days to fix a $38 part. Not going to discuss the condition of the truck when I got it back, ciause you know they only had it 4 days and couldn’t find time to clean up the mess they made on the inside, or manage not to scratch it.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
I get that they might not know how long jobs will take...but for simple things, I'd expect them to at least have the truck in the shop within 30 minutes of the appointment time. I don't have people to call to pick me up at a moments notice. I work 3rd shift, so their shuttle rides don't usually work for me either, and I hate being responsible for a loaner car...

Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 AM
bbronco66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No Ford dealer within 120 miles of me will do scheduled appointments, its all drop it off and we will call you when its done. No dealer around me does loaners as well no matter what, even if you have ESP or for recall work. You have to pay for a rental out of pocket through the dealership and send the paperwork to Ford for reimbursement which usually means they only reimburse you for the actual time your vehicle was being worked on not the time it was sitting there collecting dust. You would think a 50K plus truck would at least get you a courtesy car.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
My dealership requires appointments. Usually a day or three out.
They are pretty good at getting the truck in as scheduled. and calling and letting me know what they found.
There have been times, when they've called and said parts are 2-3 days out and that the truck will sit till parts arrive.