Ez Lynk Tyrant vs GDP - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ez Lynk Tyrant vs GDP

Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
jbizub5192
New User
jbizub5192 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ez Lynk Tyrant vs GDP

Hi Everyone,

This is my first diesel and I am looking to do a delete. I read up a lot about the different tunes and tuners and it seems I narrowed it down to Ez Lynk with ether Tyrant or GDP. I tried searching for this but cant really find what I am looking for. I would really like to know what the main differences are between them and what everyone seems to prefer? Do both of them also Interact with the TCM? Not looking for anything crazy that will hurt the engine but a little more power over stock would be nice . I only tow max 5k lbs a few times a year. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

Old 10-03-2018, 04:08 PM
cappa
Senior User
cappa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For the record I don't have either, I'm running spartan. But I follow allot of 6.7 forums and don't ever hear anyone complain about tyrant. A buddy of mine has tyrant on a job 1 2011 and loves them, his truck drives great

Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM
jbizub5192
New User
Yea I did hear a lot of good about Tyrant. I was really wondering if there is much difference between them? Has anyone ever run both?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Tyrant tunes are very popular. I have never tried them but I may some day.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 PM
06KingRanch
Freshman User
06KingRanch is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have both Tyrant and GDP tunes for my 2015 F350
Both are great. Love the Tyrant ones, currently running regular GDP SOTF and really like it, great shifting and good mileage.
you can’t go wrong with either company.
GDP Customerservice through EZ Lynk is great...answer any questions pretty much instantly.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 AM
jbizub5192
New User
I am still a little torn but leaning towards GDP. Does tyrant support SOTH? Can you notice an real differences between them? Where did you get your GDP tunes? I think I saw them listed on xtreme diesel with the ez lynk 2.0. I guess they have a newer version of the ex lync now? Thanks again for all the help!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
PPEI supports SOTF. They sent an email this week about an updated tune. I downloaded it through the Ez-Lynk and it's fantastic.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:19 PM
06KingRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jbizub5192 View Post
I am still a little torn but leaning towards GDP. Does tyrant support SOTH? Can you notice an real differences between them? Where did you get your GDP tunes? I think I saw them listed on xtreme diesel with the ez lynk 2.0. I guess they have a newer version of the ex lync now? Thanks again for all the help!
Yes Tyrant has SOTF tunes, 8 different ones right now. I got 30 files in total when I purchased the Tyrant package....great bang for your buck.
Only thing you can't tell what level your on.
With GDP SOTF tunes the "TS" channel tells you what level your switch is set at; 1 to 5.
GDP uses a fuel temp style SOTF switch.
Tyrant uses a CAC style SOTF switch. There is now a CAC TS channel on Auto Agent.....but it doesn't work with Tyrant SOTF tunes......yet.
Hopefully they will utilize this in the future. I have asked them....no response yet.
It's nice to see it switch levels so you can confirm your switch is working.

I got 16 files from GDP.
I ran the Regular GDP SOTF V2.3 for over 1000 miles.
Works excellent. Great shifts, no visible smoke, and as stated the TS channel shows what SOTF level your switch is on.

Both Tyrant and GDP are excellent.
If you want to run SOTF files mostly, I would lean towards GDP right now...... simply because I like the TS channel showing me what level I'm on, and it confirms the switch is working.....as the pins are finicky and don't seat well. So when I switch back and forth from the fuel temp to CAC style SOTF switch, it's nice to see it's working. As the test light on the back of the GDP switch doesn't always seem to work....when the TS shows it is indeed working.

If you want a staright tune....I'd go with Tyrant.

That's my .02 cents : )

Hope all that makes sense.....and your not more confused now than before ; )

Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
06KingRanch
Freshman User
Also I bought my GDP tunes through a dealer near me in Canada.
If you go to GDP's website it shows a list of dealers that sell them.
They will link direct from GDP to your EZ lynk via your EZ Lynk serial number......or truck serial number.
You just download and install the file you want.
When there are updates to a file, you will get notified of the update, then if you want you can replace the old file with new one if you have it loaded on your truck.
All very simple and straight forward.
Hardest think is installing the SOTF switch and getting it working....if you want SOTF,
I have it as I tow trailers for work.
So I run +200 for non tow miles and +75 hp for towing.

Last edited by 06KingRanch; 10-12-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 10-13-2018, 04:07 PM
06KingRanch
Freshman User
Figured out how to see what level your on with a CAC SOTF switch
Monitor "Charge Air Temp Voltage"
On the 0-210 Tyrant tune it's as follows:
Level .........Voltage
2.................. 1.1
3 ..................0.6
4.................. 0.2
5 ..................0.1

Old 10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
jbizub5192
New User
Thank you everyone for all of your input! I think I am going to go with GDP. Does the throttle response change as well? Right now with stock if I floor it quickly it has that built in delay. Will that go away or be reduced? Also what other tunes are included with GDP tune pack? I knew about the 5 power levels but didnt realize they included 16 tunes.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Dr Matt is starting off with a positive reputation.
My throttle is a lot more responsive with the GDP tunes. Once you have the programmer you will see all the tunes. Some are single power level emissions tunes, single power delete tunes, and on mine I have three different tunes to use the SOTF switch with. One is LBF (Low Boost Fueling) which is the super smoke/coal rolling tune. Another is the HISS tune which caused issues with my VGT. Now I'm on the other "low smoke" tunes, which are the least responsive, but a lot less smoke and so far no VGT sticking. There are also different trans shifting programs. I haven't found one I'm really happy with yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: