If you could buy again knowing what you know now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:17 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you could buy again knowing what you know now...

I'm ready to start looking for a 5th Wheel to own rather then rent, and I'd like to avoid some common mistakes.

I've always been told to buy 1 year old rather than new (so somebody else can work the bugs out)... but just read a thread about some respected members here who bought new.

So I figured I'd ask the question in the title... If you were starting over, buying a new 5th Wheel, knowing what you know now...

Any thoughts on one or more of below?

- new or used?
- (I see if new that 25-37% off MSRP) is a fair offer
- what is a fair offer off MSRP for each year after its manufacture date?
- best way to inspect?
- best warranty options
- avoid Camping World?
- Best Dealer?
- Best rig for some one who isn't really great at doing his own repairs?

Any other general advice for a newbie about to buy his first 5th wheel?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I recently purchased a year old fifth (see my sig below).
As you suggested - I let them work out the bugs; but mostly I'll let them suffer the initial depreciation.

As for your other questions, I found a local dealer I trust - I'll give him my service business when needed.

I see you're in FL, if you're ever nearby the Dothan, AL area then look him up:
https://www.bamarv.com/

Old 09-23-2018, 06:33 PM
mwheue
More Turbo
Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts
Bought a year old fifth wheel for half of what the original owner paid for it a year earlier. I did end up having to replace the air conditioner at a cost of $400 and a hour of my time. I don't regret buying used at all and would do it again.ask yourself what the warrantee is worth to you and can you fix yourself whatever may go wrong with it.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
If you're planning on keeping the RV long term, that depreciation is irrelevant. If you're planning (or think you might) "flip" your RV on a regular basis, always buying-selling-buying-selling, then maybe depreciation is a valid concern. If you aren't comfortable doing your own repairs, then that adds to the appeal of buying new, and getting a warranty.

I would shop floor plan and features first and foremost. It doesn't matter how great a deal you got on it if you and your Mrs. aren't happy with it.

We bought new, first time ever for us. Long line of used RV's in our past. We're planning on keeping this one 20+ years (until I'm too old to pull it). I could have cared less about depreciation. We found a floor plan we both really liked, and it was a "go".

Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Of course you must first like the unit, its floor plan and any/ every thing else about it, otherwise its not a good deal; now with that said ...

My fifth, new (with additional factory accessories) retailed at $85K - $90K. I estimate the original buyer was out the door around $69K - before taxes; as a used unit I saved an additional $20K over that (guesstimated) original price. Then he went to work spending more money on additional upgrades.

That lowered price also led to reduced state sale taxes, reduced local registration fees (highest in the state), etc. Ultimately it all added up to big bucks saved, at least big bucks to this Cheap Charlie.

My only downside (to date) is the fifth has a safe installed, but the prior owner now doesn't know the code - nor have the keys - to open it (older, now widowed, approaching senility). To regain that physical space I may need my local welder to get to work (he's performed that job for me once before).

Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 191124x7
- new or used? Whichever way you can find the floorplan you want at a price you think is fair.
- (I see if new that 25-37% off MSRP) is a fair offer - it will vary depending on manufacturer. Some of the hotter-selling units may command higher prices (new).
- what is a fair offer off MSRP for each year after its manufacture date? - I recently read 10% - but that's a wild card. Some dealers aren't willing to negotiate that point, some are.
- best way to inspect? "Google pre-delivery inspection checklist for RV" (also known as PDI). There are quite a few out there. Don't let the tech or seller rush you. You could also spend $100 or so and have an independent certified RV tech do the inspection for you on a used unit. It could save you many times their fee.
- best warranty options - Google "Extended warranty" (they're actually insurance policies). You'll find an equal number of lovers and haters. The companies selling the policies are betting your money you won't have any problems...
- avoid Camping World? YES!!!
- Best Dealer? Read Google reviews on the dealers you are contemplating.
- Best rig for some one who isn't really great at doing his own repairs? They're all about the same. You'll be forced to learn.
I hope this helps...

Rob

Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,711 Likes on 2,754 Posts
My first trailer was used. I'm glad I went used as it gave me a lot of opportunities for fixing things and really learning about trailers. I consider myself to be fairly handy, especially once I've consulted the experts here on the forum. The floorplan of the current trailer really sucks but it's the nature of the type of toy hauler I have so I just suck it up.

My next trailer might very well be new, possibly ordered, as I have a very specific list of features the trailer must- have.

If you're not handy then you need to A) Find a dealer that is very good at addressing issues and B) a trailer manufacturer that builds to a higher standard of quality.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
Of course you must first like the unit, its floor plan and any/ every thing else about it, otherwise its not a good deal; now with that said ...

My fifth, new (with additional factory accessories) retailed at $85K - $90K. I estimate the original buyer was out the door around $69K - before taxes; as a used unit I saved an additional $20K over that (guesstimated) original price. Then he went to work spending more money on additional upgrades.

That lowered price also led to reduced state sale taxes, reduced local registration fees (highest in the state), etc. Ultimately it all added up to big bucks saved, at least big bucks to this Cheap Charlie.

My only downside (to date) is the fifth has a safe installed, but the prior owner now doesn't know the code - nor have the keys - to open it (older, now widowed, approaching senility). To regain that physical space I may need my local welder to get to work (he's performed that job for me once before).
Off topic but call a lock smith first .....

On Topic, I have had both new and used, current was new. If you plan to use it much floor plan is most important. Can you get to the fridge & bathroom with it closed to travel? Next what does it weigh & what is my TV capable of towing comfortably? I'm not a weight police guy, but too much RV and too little truck makes for white knuckle trips, nuff said. When you start looking you will find 3 types RV, entry level, mid priced and high end: decide where you want to be. Used you may get a high end at mid level price. All RV's use appliances they get from outside manufactures, Norcold, Suburban, Coleman, Lippert, etc. They only build the frame work. Every RV I have had has needed some work and every RV will get something done to make it yours. Adding back splash, electric outlets, or in my case a washer dryer ( being retired, I spend many days a year out)
Good luck making your selection.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
All campers will have problems mostly due to their lightweight and cheap materials they build them with. Many new ones are having problems with springs..tires..slides..AC's and the list goes on and on. Many people ditch them in a year or two so you have to be on your toes buying used. Match your purchase to the tow vehicle by not going over the trucks capabilities.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 AM
H4Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
We just bought our 4th RV (2018 Highland Ridge 371MBH) and we bought new not so much because of the warranty (although it is a good deal) but because I've had water intrusion issues with the 2 used campers that I owned....and those are problems that can show up way later. Buying new, I know the maintenance history of my rig and that helps me sleep a little better at night.
We fulltime in ours, so we researched for over a year before we bought our 371. For us, the criteria were: 1. Brand (Highland Ridge or Grand Design) 2. Dealer (More for service than sales. Typically, they will price match or come real close to any internet price). 3. Floorplan - We went back and forth between rear and mid-bunks. Once we decided on a mid-bunk, we looked at both HR and GD and preferred the HR for a couple of reasons (no carpet in the slides was one) but both were really good units. We avoided the extended warranty because it didn't make sense. The price of the warranty was added to the monthly payment and was over 9K after it was all said and done. I can do a lot of work for that amount of money......
For the inspection, we went up a week before and walked through the unit. We identified several minor issues then and had them fixed before our official PDI. When we did the PDI, I had a check list that I found on the Open Range forums and it went smoothly.
Lastly, I would avoid Camping World.....

Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 AM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Avoid CW like the plague.

Whatever you do find that you like, look at RV Trader to compare prices. Dealerships all over the US may have that same camper and at least one of them will have it at a great price. Use that price to learn what the camper "could" be sold at.

Since you're in Fl, check eastern discount dealers such as RV Outlet, Couch's, Holmans, and RV Wholesalers.

Since you have an F250, buy or borrow a 5000 lb. Sherline scale. Do not believe the brochure on pin weights.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
RV Trader is garbage... Just like CW, but the online version.

RVT.com is a much better resource to sell or buy RV's if you are looking for used and sometimes new.

Here are the things I would have done differently...

Nothing would change, because we needed to try each of our ideas before deciding on the 28ft 5th wheel in my signature.

We started with a 30ft 2008 travel trailer that we got for a steal. This was our "let's see if we like RV'ing" purchase. It went well, except pulling a travel trailer cross country was not the most comfortable thing. We moved to a 2011 37ft Montana High Country that was loaded to the gills. 4 slides, washer/dryer, double fridge, etc... This was going to be our full time residence if my military retirement and new employment didn't allow us to keep our home. We have been lucky and are able to afford our home, so we moved to a smaller 28ft 2016 Heartland 5th wheel. It has 2 slides and great storage for the size it is.

We love it because it travels great, is capable of getting into some of the shorter RV restricted sites and is capable of going off road to a point.

Advice, well I would say don't go too big with the trailer and regret it a year down the road.

Buy used if you can, so much less money in it that way.

Do your research, know what to look for and how to identify potential problems.

Don't be afraid of problems, especially if you can fix them yourself.

Get some good tires, like Sailun or GY Endurance.

Get a good hitch like B&W or my choice the Andersen Ultimate.

Take your time, enjoy the journey and the destination.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Thank you for all the help here. This group continues to amaze me. I have a lot of clarity on my direction now. Thanks again! Bob

Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 PM
kevin211
5th Wheeling
would i be a jerk if i made the dealer fill the holding tank with water and then run the spickets and shower

Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,711 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin211
would i be a jerk if i made the dealer fill the holding tank with water and then run the spickets and shower
Nope. I might even make them fill it full to make sure there are no leaks in the tank.

Quick Reply: If you could buy again knowing what you know now...