Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel in Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

i am looking at doing injectors in the next year and also in CA so smog is a concern.
what injectors did you use ? And did you eventually get them to pass ?

For tunes I will be use the tunes that swamps offers with purchase but am learning the Minatour tuning software and will eventually write my own.
I’m going Swamps as well. They were the fastest to respond, the most knowledgeable and most down to earth regarding all my stupid questions and what not. They also have the best warranty and can tune what they sell. I will be making my injector and tune purchase through Swamps.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I plan on 160/30 for that exact reason, CA snap test. ( also people in NorCal are fed up with people rolling coal and will take a pic of you doing so and send it into CARB )
https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/complaints/smoke.htm

from my understanding the larger 80% nozzle doesn’t atomize the fuel well enough during low boost which is what fails the opacity testand causes smoke leaving a stop sign. Sounds like you were able to dial down the MFD enough to counter act this at least for smog testing but how does it do leaving a stop sign on your daily drive tune ?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
I plan on 160/30 for that exact reason, CA snap test. ( also people in NorCal are fed up with people rolling coal and will take a pic of you doing so and send it into CARB )

from my understanding the larger 80% nozzle doesn’t atomize the fuel well enough during low boost which is what fails the opacity testand causes smoke leaving a stop sign. Sounds like you were able to dial down the MFD enough to counter act this at least for smog testing but how does it do leaving a stop sign on your daily drive tune ?

Won’t running a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo help clean it up at low boost?

Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dude-Ford

Won’t running a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo help clean it up at low boost?
not my area of expertise but my understanding is a lower turbine A/R will spool faster but increase EGT.

so spooling faster will built boost quicker which would help when accelerating from a stop but isn’t going to help with a CA smog snap test since they do it with no load on the engine.

on that subject, anybody know what the banks quick turbo A/R is ?
https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/B...it-p/24457.htm

Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I never knew about that page. I'm pretty sure most people in SoCal don't either. There's plenty of Chevys and Dodges smoking at idle around here let alone driving around. Not that many Fords hot-rodding around as most of them I see are driven by "older" people like me.

I don't run the All Out tune but the others are all fine under normal conditions. I don't have any smoke issues unless I lay into it then I get a haze until the turbo lights off and boost starts to climb.

IMO the tech for my smog test was a little excessive. It sounded like he floored it to over 3K RPM for the snaps. If he would have just been aggressive and not gone over 3K I don't think it would have been a problem.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by brian42
I never knew about that page. I'm pretty sure most people in SoCal don't either. .

I learned about it on a community Facebook page my wife is on. Since the VW scandal people ( suburban women ? ) are on a mission to ride the streets from *********s rolling coal around town.

I dont know the backstory but I do know the 3 main offenders in our little town are gone or at least I don’t see their trucks around like I used to.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
I’m glad I live in Oklahoma, but at the same time I do my due diligence to not “roll coal,” but if I accelerate hard for whatever reason so be it. When I attempted to live in LA (high cost of living) in 2012 I bought a 95 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0L out there. Best year because it has a galvanized frame. Anyway, I will never forget the guy doing the emissions test flooring the **** out of the thing, I honestly thought it was going to blow up.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
I’ve got a question regarding the order of operations.
So when I slap the new injectors in what should I do about the absence coolant I mean obviously fill it with water, but what’s the first move? I was thinking I’d just remove the thermostat and put a flush T on and flush it with just faucet water pressure until it runs clear out the degas bottle and then start it from there and get on with the flushing processes. Thoughts?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
No need for flush kit. Remove tstat then hand tight the 3 bolts. Fill resivoir with distilled. Have another 10-15 qts of distilled to keep filling the resivoir. Remove top rad hosea t radiator and plumb in a 1in piece of 3ft pvc pipe to redirect water to wherever. Once all clean, crawl under truck and remove the coolant plugs and let motor drain...Install plugs, new tstat and connect hose to rad. Finally, fill with beverage of choice

Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
I’ve got a question regarding the order of operations.
So when I slap the new injectors in what should I do about the absence coolant I mean obviously fill it with water, but what’s the first move? I was thinking I’d just remove the thermostat and put a flush T on and flush it with just faucet water pressure until it runs clear out the degas bottle and then start it from there and get on with the flushing processes. Thoughts?
Right or wrong here is what I did:

- Drain cooling system
- Did injector/cup work
- Filled with distilled water and, similar to timmyboy76, "snugged" down t-stat housing bit I tightened mine slightly more than finger tight ( with no t-stat installed)
- Started the truck and let it idle for 5 minutes or so to revel in my success and check for any obvious issues (I did not cry...I had some dirt in my eye)
- Drained water, installed t-stat, and filled the cooling system with my "final charge"
- Changed the oil

Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42
Right or wrong here is what I did:

- Drain cooling system
- Did injector/cup work
- Filled with distilled water and, similar to timmyboy76, "snugged" down t-stat housing bit I tightened mine slightly more than finger tight ( with no t-stat installed)
- Started the truck and let it idle for 5 minutes or so to revel in my success and check for any obvious issues (I did not cry...I had some dirt in my eye)
- Drained water, installed t-stat, and filled the cooling system with my "final charge"
- Changed the oil
“I did not cry...I had some dirt in my eye” I just got good laugh out of that

Old 10-17-2018, 09:01 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
“I did not cry...I had some dirt in my eye” I just got good laugh out of that
I was so happy that I almost did. The project had a lot of growth once I got "elbows" deep into it and took a total of nine months instead of the two I originally thought.

When it started on the first try I did give out a non-family-friendly shout of joy (after I turned the camera off) as I was convinced that it wasn't going to start and my wife was going to make me sleep in the back of the cab until it did.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Well I’m satisfied with how clean they are. It only took a month. It kept freakin raining here but I’m finally installing the cups tomorrow. Any advice on using the install tool so I can get this right? Did you guys lube the O-ring on the install tool? I had to orde some of the Loctite primer because it’s dipping to 40 degrees at night here, figured that would impact the curing time of the retaining compound? Tomorrow morning until noon will also be below 60 so I don’t really think I have a choice not to use the primer.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:36 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Good call on the getting the Loctite primer, although it's mostly just acetone. And it's not just for low temps, but also to thoroughly clean the surfaces. Use it, or just get more acetone, and clean both surfaces that will see the Loctite; the cup and the head, and let both dry. I would still go for the full 24 hour cure time before adding coolant. You should oil the o-ring on the tool, so it doesn't pull up on the cup as you remove it. Installing the injectors right afterward can also be done since they will also seat the cups and hold them in place as the Loctite cures, but that's certainly not required if you're not prepared to do so.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Good call on the getting the Loctite primer, although it's mostly just acetone. And it's not just for low temps, but also to thoroughly clean the surfaces. Use it, or just get more acetone, and clean both surfaces that will see the Loctite; the cup and the head, and let both dry. I would still go for the full 24 hour cure time before adding coolant. You should oil the o-ring on the tool, so it doesn't pull up on the cup as you remove it. Installing the injectors right afterward can also be done since they will also seat the cups and hold them in place as the Loctite cures, but that's certainly not required if you're not prepared to do so.
Thanks! Yeah, It definitely smells like acetone. Still waiting on the injectors from swamps.

Quick Reply: Fuel in Coolant