6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Aftermarket diff covers...do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
I started this thread as FYI only. I don't speak for Gale Banks or Banks Power. I was accused of being a paid salesman or rather being associated with the Filter Mag company when I put my Filter mag thread up on here. I have been using them for 20 years and I like them. Just FYI. I'm a law enforcement officer who likes to dig into this stuff. That's all.

With that being said, I see your point. IMHO, I just think that when Gale saw the testing results of the flat style aftermarket covers as opposed to the stock steel OEM cover, he saw his opportunity to make an aluminum cover designed internally like the OEM cover to see if the temps could be reduced. Obviously, the fact that it's made of aluminum and has cooling fins, there is the possibility for reduction of gear oil temps. He probably kept the capacity about the same as stock because as he points out, the axle engineers who did the design and testing of these differentials, know more about this stuff than us.

Just my opinion. I could be WRONG. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I understand completely and I'm not implying anything. I too was really looking forward to an un-biased review of the various after-market diff covers. But now that Banks is planning to market their own version, I feel like the data will be a little tainted.

I think that the bottom line is that the factory diff covers are 100% adequate for the job. But for those who desire the "bling" of the after-market versions it would be nice if they didn't actually decrease performance! Maybe that will be what Banks has to offer.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I just wanted to make it clear to everyone where I stood. Believe me, some peeps around here do a lot of ASSUMING. It wasn't directed at you. Trust me though, I feel your concern. But I have to hand it to the guy that he made a decision to do it the right way and test the performance of different diff covers including the OEM cover. One would think that there was a reason why the cover has the design it has and that it has something to do with directing the oil back towards the ring and pinion. What do I know? We shall see. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
Originally Posted by mptjelgin
So this whole "investigative series" has been a run-up to Banks unveiling their new aftermarket diff cover? Great...
agreed, what happened to the share data part....
Yup, at this point, a "Do they do anything of value" series, is nothing more than an infomercial. Any data shared now must be viewed as suspect.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Online purchase? I like the ARP bolts for bling. You go with the stainless or just plain black?
I did do an on-line purchase. I've found buying parts from a dealership is always more expensive than on-line. I went with the stainless. Probably won't get it on until next weekend.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Chuck-B
I did do an on-line purchase. I've found buying parts from a dealership is always more expensive than on-line. I went with the stainless. Probably won't get it on until next weekend.
Since you"re going to be there, make sure to snap a picture if you don't mind. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B

Do you have a link for the bolts?
I just got the factory finned cover today..

Old 11-13-2018, 04:28 PM
NDE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
Yup, at this point, a "Do they do anything of value" series, is nothing more than an infomercial. Any data shared now must be viewed as suspect.
It was when he managed to take a swig of Monster drink and place it so the logo shows that I felt the videos were for marketing...

Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
I got them on Amazon -
Amazon Amazon
, you need 3 packs.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Put the 8C3Z4033-A on this weekend. Same as Carbonation - Lublocker gasket, Schaeffers 170 Extreme Performance Full Synthetic SAE 75w-140 Gear Oil, ARP 612-1250 5/16-18 x 1.250 12pt SS bolts and 2 4oz bottles of Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive. For those thinking the ARP bolts are just "bling", that may be, but you do need longer bolts.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:52 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
^^^ Nice! But man the bolts are expensive...

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Eddie - lets see some pictures when you are finished. What gear oil are you going with? My biggest 2 issues were due to my air horn being installed between the spare tire and rear end. Was a PIA getting the old gasket off the top of the differential housing and then getting a 1/2 inch torque wrench on all the bolts. In hindsight, after the old gear oil drained out I could have jacked the body up to just before the tires came off the ground. I did use the washers that came with the bolts. I'm sure you can find cheaper bolts and I would agree ~$4.00 a bolt is a bit much not to mention that you only use 12 out of 15. Good luck with your install.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
I will but I am contemplating getting a True Trac installed at the same time ( see other post) and just knocking it out at once. I only have 24K on the truck so I'm not in any rush.

Also, since i have Airlift springs I could easily jack the body of the truck up a couple of inches if needed.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

That looks bad*** Chuck! Great job. I like your choice of bolts... Being cool ain't cheap!

Old 11-01-2019, 08:00 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I'm going to get all the anti Banks guys going again with the latest video on the Bank's rear diff cover. Interesting how he tests the hell out of whatever they design...can't say there's anything wrong with that. What say you?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket diff covers...do they work?