2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What Brand New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM
BillRes2
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Brand New Tires

Hi Everyone
Our new F350 is scheduled for LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T tires with the Lariat Ultimate wheels. We tried to request Micheline tires but the salesman blew us off and evaded the request. Exactly how much leeway do the dealers have with the type tires that come on a truck? Any choice?
Thanks
Bill

Old 09-13-2018, 01:07 PM
N2dunz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got Michelins on my truck with the Lariat Package and BSW AT tires.
I don't know if they can request them, I thought Ford already determines the manufacture based on AT or AS?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No you cannot request the brand of tire. Just put the ones you want on when it comes in. Sell the others if it is that big of a deal. I always do but for other reasons -- modifications. Sold the Michelins and the wheels off of my Platty the 2nd day I had it.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BillRes2
Exactly how much leeway do the dealers have with the type tires that come on a truck? Any choice?
Typically, none. While you may have a choice between several different tire & wheel packages (e.g., 18", 20") when buying a new car or truck, you typically won't get to choose a specific brand or model of tire.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM
BillRes2
Mountain Pass
I have long suspected that tires on a vehicle are simply a function of what ever is cheapest and available at the time of assembly. Many, many moons ago, I toured the GM assembly plant (when they still had one) down in the Los Angles area. I was amazed at how Pontiac, Chevrolet, and another model were assembled, on the same line and time. Most parts were "common" with car specific ones like the engines and transmissions being color coded. I'll bet its not much different now, just with more robots.
Bill

Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts
Actually, you know they grade tires, and auto manufacturer's get the top grade rubber. Obviously quality varies by manufacturer but the variance by grade within a brand is nearly unnoticeable - but nonetheless, graded. So the truth is, the tires that most vehicles are initially shoed with, are the best from the tire company. Auto-manufacturers stipulate that up front.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM
N2dunz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with CBEllis.
The Michelins that came on my truck are top notch.
Michelin always has been a great tire.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T are Goodyear Wranglers, so far so good.. I'm not sure what Michelin has in a 'AT' tire.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I used to do development work for one of the big 3...they spend countless hours testing tires to make a choice. Then the tires that are produced for the new vehicle do not have to be the same when you buy a replacement later. You get the same tread pattern and name but it's not the forced to be the same rubber compound.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBEllis
Actually, you know they grade tires, and auto manufacturer's get the top grade rubber. Obviously quality varies by manufacturer but the variance by grade within a brand is nearly unnoticeable - but nonetheless, graded. So the truth is, the tires that most vehicles are initially shoed with, are the best from the tire company. Auto-manufacturers stipulate that up front.
They are built to a specification.. No more no less. Manufacturers bid and work under competition to get the business. Been involved in this for many years. Need to get your facts straight lol to insinuate that tires that are not factory supplied OEM or are less than the best? Not even close----they are built to a specification period end of discussion and in SOME cases it is done jointly but not for truck tires...…..

Old 09-13-2018, 05:39 PM
keepaeyeonit
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my $.02 but I can't stand the Michelins AT's that came on my truck, they suck in the snow and are almost wore out at 35,000 miles. I already replaced the fronts with BF Goodrich Commercial TA's and getting ready to replace the rears with BF Goodrich AT's KO, I always got over 70,000 on the fronts and 80,000 miles on the drives with my last truck ( last truck had almost the same power and was 1,000 lbs lighter) so I will stick with what works for me

Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM
BillRes2
Mountain Pass
Factory tires are not always first rate. On our 2nd Ford F250, it came with Firestone's. In less than 12K the all 4 radials had the tread separate from the body of the tire. A year or so later, Firestone was sued for selling these tires knowing they were defective. Firestone paid out royally for the damages and deaths. This didn't help us any as by this time we had replaced all 4. The Firestone dealer in Las Vegas refused to help us with ours, claiming it was "road damage" when the 1st 2 went. We were far from home and needed good tires now, so we bit the bullet and paid to replaced the tires and ultimately replaced all 4 just for the peace of mind as they were also showing signs of separation (bulging). This occurred in the late 80's
Bill

Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
They are built to a specification.. No more no less. Manufacturers bid and work under competition to get the business. Been involved in this for many years. Need to get your facts straight lol to insinuate that tires that are not factory supplied OEM or are less than the best? Not even close----they are built to a specification period end of discussion and in SOME cases it is done jointly but not for truck tires...…..
Easy tiger - batch rubber at the plant is graded and rated in measured segments of the production run. Believe what you will but, auto/truck makers (commercial and passenger) recieve their tires from early in the run and it's a better tire by all QC standards. I'm not saying I wouldn't replace them with my tire of choice or that they're all perfect (that would be ignorant).

Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BillRes2
Factory tires are not always first rate. On our 2nd Ford F250, it came with Firestone's. In less than 12K the all 4 radials had the tread separate from the body of the tire. A year or so later, Firestone was sued for selling these tires knowing they were defective. Firestone paid out royally for the damages and deaths. This didn't help us any as by this time we had replaced all 4. The Firestone dealer in Las Vegas refused to help us with ours, claiming it was "road damage" when the 1st 2 went. We were far from home and needed good tires now, so we bit the bullet and paid to replaced the tires and ultimately replaced all 4 just for the peace of mind as they were also showing signs of separation (bulging). This occurred in the late 80's
Bill
The Firestone case was filed in East TX. That's a good example of a bad case for the manufacturer - obviously they could have and should have handled it better early-on. Shame on them for letting it get to that point but they're not the first and they won't be the last.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My Hankooks, which are pretty much crap tires, that came on my highly awarded 2018 Expedition are one of the worst tires I have owned for wet weather. They are quiet and smooth which is what sells this type of SUV.

The Michelin AT2 tires on my Super Duty are also quiet and smooth and very predictable. They are also pretty amazing in the towing department. But no way are they as capable as a typical AT tire off road.....but what dealership let’s you take a $60,000 truck off roaring through the woods for a test drive?

Tires are selected by manufacturers to better sell a vehicle during the test drive.

Quick Reply: What Brand New Tires