Need Trailer Tires - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Need Trailer Tires

Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Olafs 7.3 ex
Freshman User
Olafs 7.3 ex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Need Trailer Tires

I'm in need of some ST225/R75-15 tires, would the Goodyear endurance tires be a good choice.
definitely don't want any Chinese poppers.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Moved over to the towing forum.

Stewart

Old 09-03-2018, 01:59 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Wish stewart would have left this in the Ex forum since we have a lot of TT guys there....

a few years ago we were doing 50-70k a year towing our race cars around and couldn’t keep a 15” tire alive, tried all the brands and while the Goodyear’s seemed ok on our little Bumper pull for years just didn’t cut it anymore, certainly not the China tires.

we switched to 17.5” and tires went from carrying at least 4 spares to just one and only had to use it for a nail we picked up as opposed to complete tire failures on the 15.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Wish stewart would have left this in the Ex forum since we have a lot of TT guys there....

We still have the camper pulling thread in the Ex forum for general trailer stuff (I wanted to keep that thread in the Ex forum even after we revamped and expanded the towing forum a few years ago and moved a bunch of tow/trailer threads to the tow forum), and while our Ex forum can cover a lot of subjects since there are 4 different engines that came in the Ex, I try to keep specific trailer questions confined to the proper tow forum.

As for the Ex guys specifically seeing this and chiming in, if Olaf wants I can copy his post to the general camper thread we have in the Ex forum so he can get input from them too.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-03-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Old 09-03-2018, 07:36 PM
1 Excursion camper
Posting Guru
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
I`m running Carlisle HD`s ST 225/75/15 in load range "E". they are one of the best tires out there! They have an 81mph speed rating. I wouldn't run any other tire, even the Good Years. I have seen Good Years after a few thousand miles and don't like how they wear, too choppy!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
ncl
Elder User
ncl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
^^^^ Same here I run the Carlisle radial trail HD in the 225/75R/15. Load range E. So far so good on 2 season with them. I have them on a 10950gvwr TT. Have towed to Tennesse and back from NW Ohio, South Haven, MI and many other places in between. I probably have about 2500 or so miles on them. They look good.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 PM
mtl-diesel
Junior User
mtl-diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd have to vote for the Marathon Endurance. I did two return trips from Toronto to St-John's, Newfoundland this past winter. (Anyone who has driven Newfoundland from tip to tip in the winter will understand.)

I was pulling my 24 foot cargo trailer weighing in about 9000lbs. Total mileage just for these two trips was approx 8000 miles. Never an issue and tires still look and pull great.

Rod.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Carlisle here as well. 205/75/15 D load range on our 9200# 5th wheel. Put just over 5k mile cross country trip thru 8 states this summer. They survived i40 thru Arizona, truck had a tire fail on that gawd aweful road. Still able to read the Carlisle name imprint in the middle bead of tread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Juneaudave
Junior User
Juneaudave is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Maxxis ST M8008 are good trailer tires made in US. They have a good following in the RV circles.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 AM
ibdagriz
Senior User
ibdagriz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ibdagriz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Juneaudave View Post
The Maxxis ST M8008 are good trailer tires made in US. They have a good following in the RV circles.
Do yours state made in USA as most are made in Taiwan I believe? I run them on my Outback in Texas all day at 70-75 with no problems. 10 ply/80 psi.

Griz

Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Juneaudave
Junior User
Juneaudave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
Do yours state made in USA as most are made in Taiwan I believe? I run them on my Outback in Texas all day at 70-75 with no problems. 10 ply/80 psi.

Griz
My bad....They don't appear to be made in USA, but they have been good tires.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM
ibdagriz
Senior User
ibdagriz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ibdagriz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No problem. They do make some tires in the US according to the website. Just not these that I know of.

Really good tires so far. 70-75 for several hours and they aren't even overly warm to the touch.

Griz

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Negatives on the "Goodyear" tires may be model/year specific. The new Endurance tire isn't made in China. So take the negatives with that in mind.

I'm running the Hartland tire from Discount Tire on my toy hauler. Load range E. After 4,000 miles, no issues and they look good. I'm waiting until 5,000 miles to do a formal review. I gave serious consideration to going with the Goodyear Endurance at the time but couldn't find any in stock locally. My local Discount Tire had the Hartland in stock. The Hartland is made in China. I'm using the 15" tires and they go for less than $100 each.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
ibdagriz
Senior User
Those Hartland look pretty good also. I've gotten right at 2800 miles on the Maxxis set I put on last summer.

They look like new still so I am hopeful. I do keep an eye on them though.

Griz

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.