Need Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The largest heaviest 10K 33" Classic model Airstreams are using Michelien tires. I toured the plant in Mid July and saw first hand what was mounted. I did not look at the lighter and smaller models tires. The Endurance tires may become the best RV towable tire ever made.
I still have trust issues with Goodyear and find it hard to believe that they market as made in America quality after they outsourced a good made in America tire brand to China.
We had a Goodyear plant locally (Asheboro, NC), Goodyear robbed the employee pension fund and sold the plant to a Japanese manufacturer. That Japanese firm learned all they could from the employees and after 1 year shut the plant down and shipped the machinery to Japan. I know a handful of 20+ year employees that now have no pension do to Goodyear's decisions. I get the buy American thought process but in this case I will hold off for a few years to see how the tires hold up. As I stated earlier, JMO.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I have seen airstream with the goodyear edurance tires again this summer at some RV shows.
I'll be at the huge Hershey RV show next Wednesday and will make a point of checking out what tires are being used on a variety of TTs at different price points.
So far my Sailun S637s are holding up very well, smooth rolling, good tracking, holding air well with very few needed top offs and wearing great at about 12K miles over two full camping seasons.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
One of the Youtube channel guys I watch (Grand Adventure) just had his 5 day old Endurance tire come apart on him on a road trip.

It was on his last video

Interesting all things considered. More info will be good on this.

Griz

Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
I bought the Endurance tires and have been very happy with them. Noticeable difference in trailer stability. I asked they be date matched and they were only 3 weeks old when I got them. Made in Georgia I believe. Have over 6K on them now and never had to add air, in fact were going this weekend on about a 100 mile (each way) camping trip. Checked them last night and we're good to go. I don't think mileage is a determining factor as much as time is, so we'll see in a couple of years how they are doing.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that it's been a month since the last post on this topic. Here's my experience with Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tires. I put a set on my 9,500lb dual axle TT in March 2017, a few months after they were available in January 2017 as was told to me by Discount Tire. I was going to go with MAXXIS tires, which happened to be only about $7 more per tire at the time. I went with Goodyears and still wonder why since I had them on my 1999 Suburban and had TWO of them shred off the rim at 70+MPH on the freeway in Arizona! I was riding on the rim so fast that it was both unbelievable and frightening. Thankfully I drove the 'Burban to the side of the highway in both instances without flipping it or losing control. There was nothing left of the first tire, so I had no way of knowing or proving what had happened. The second one though had enough tire remaining, that being the entire inside sidewall, to prove that the damn thing blew up. The first inspector at Sears said, "I can't tell how they failed." Then a young employee walked up and said, unsolicited, "Damn! That thing blew up." I said, "Thank you." I had to go a round with Goodyear, but they quickly agreed to put a new set of four tires on my Suburban. But I digress. Let me return to the Endurance Tires.

We went from Arizona to Newfoundland from April to October 2017, and two of the four Endurance tires were worn out with no tread remaining - in 12,500 miles. We are full time RVers, traveling about 18,000-20,000 miles-per-year. I was quite bummed when the first set went so quickly. However, I was having bent axle problems, so I couldn't entirely attribute the wearing-out-so-quickly to the tires alone. Therefore I put another set of Endurance tires on in October 2017. These have been wearing evenly. We have 10,000 miles on this set. I just replaced one of the four tires on the TT with a leftover tire from the first set (I kept two of the four) because one of the second set was devoid of tread. The other two original tires from the second set (I had one replaced in Grand Junction, CO this summer because of a chunk out of the sidewall) have a few thousand miles left on them - maybe.

This has happened on a 9,500lb, dual axle travel trailer. I keep the tires balanced (I was amazed at the amount of lead required on all four tires to obtain balance) and rotated every 2,500 miles or so. I decided on the shorter mileage interval for rotating after the first set of Endurance tires went so quickly.

I have only been travel trailering for 3-1/2 years. The OEM tires on the rig were Goodyear Marathons which were worn out in about 14,000 miles. I went to the Endurance tires for the E-Load/10-ply rating and to hopefully get a better lasting tire.

I am DONE WITH GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES after these are gone, which won't be too long. I am certainly not heading into our next travel season in 2019 with these POS's on my trailer. Discount Tire has asked me more than once what I think of the Goodyear Endurance tires since they are still relatively new to the market. I intend to tell them next time that I am in, for a new set of tires. I will say that none of the Goodyear Trailer Tires has blown up on me like the Goodyears on my Suburban, which I think were Avengers. But honestly I can't remember the name on the "Blow-Master Goodyears".

Based on my research and comments on this thread, I think I'm going MAXXIS next time around. I shied away from the Carlisles because they are made in the Orient. However, I've heard that it's hard to find a tire these days that isn't made there. I believe MAXXIS are made in the USA. But I'm not so sure that being made here, as in the USA, is necessarily all that great either. In regards to my time with Goodyear trailer tires, I feel like a guinea pig running on an in-place wheel - working hard but not getting anywhere. At least nowhere I want to be.

CHEERS

Old 10-21-2018, 05:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
fix your axle problems before you get new tires.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM
RobRoy7768
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the Carlisle as well. Mostly because of good reviews and they were almost a lot cheaper than GY. My trailer has a gross of 9500 and came with D rated tires. I went with E rated and couldn't be happier so far. Have about 3k on them now. The biggest issue that is overlooked with trailer tires on TT is that most of them sit for long periods of time. Proper maintenance while in storage is very important and IMO is behind most issues on the road regardless of tire brand. Also people seem to trust TT manufactures to use the right tire for the unit and that is not always the case.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I have Maxxis tires and am very happy with them.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
fix your axle problems before you get new tires.
Dah! I did, or at least I thought I had repaired my bent axles. This was in September 2016. Turned out the guy in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada only thought he knew what he was doing. I only had one choice in that part of "the middle of nowhere". He built his own axles using 3" diameter by 1/4" thick round stock steel, what 6,000lb axles are constructed out of. He replaced everything in the suspension - axles, leaf springs and brakes. I wish I had driven home on the bent original axles, all 4,000+ miles back to Tucson. Then I would have had the job done correctly by Professional Trailer Repair in Tucson. At the time, I didn't know a darn thing about trailer axles, leaf springs and brakes. NOW I KNOW A LOT, at least enough to be dangerous.

When we got back to the southwest from our following travel season (2017) to Newfoundland, all four leaf springs were FLAT and the two tires on the starboard side were wearing on opposite sides, one on the inside and one on the outside. Only one reasonable explanation for that - he had welded up the backing plates crooked. So I had the axles and leaf springs replaced again in the fall of 2017 - BY PROFESSIONAL TRAILER REPAIR IN TUCSON. They installed Rockwell American 6,000lb axles and 2,900lb leaf springs. After our recent travel season, summer 2018, everything is fine. Except of course the Goodyear Endurance Tires. Had a new set put on in October 2017 AFTER I had the axles and leaf springs replaced the second time. One of those tires was completely worn out after about 10,000 miles. Two of the others don't have a lot of miles left in them, as I said in my Original Post. The fourth is practically new, having been replaced in Grand Junction, CO due to road hazard damage this summer.

I suspect that some people are having good luck with their Endurance tires. Again, I'm trying MAXXIS tires next.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:41 AM
innuune
New User
I'm at 7k miles/3 years on a set of Michelin LTX 235/75/15 M/S2 tires (tandem axle), and have been very happy with them.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey Bitsko
If I were to the op I'd measure for the nearest size LT tire 6 ply and call it a day.
With all the horror stories you hear about trailer tires, I agree!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Essayon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hercules Tires

Hercules Tires anybody use these American made tires?
I have Trailer King ST225/75R15E on my new Outback. At max load the tires are at 96% of capacity. A little air loss and high temps and speeds is why the tires blow out.
I am looking at load range F H-901s next year, they will be at 81% of capacity giving me a little bit of buffer. Any ideas?
https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...cules/H-901-ST

Old 12-17-2018, 12:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Essayon
Hercules Tires anybody use these American made tires?
I have Trailer King ST225/75R15E on my new Outback. At max load the tires are at 96% of capacity. A little air loss and high temps and speeds is why the tires blow out.
I am looking at load range F H-901s next year, they will be at 81% of capacity giving me a little bit of buffer. Any ideas?
https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...cules/H-901-ST
No tires blow out because of the way they are made...in China. Hercules are made in China.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:08 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,628 Likes on 2,730 Posts
The dealers in my area for Hercules don't appear to be first tier tire retailers like Discount Tire, Les Schwab, Sears, etc. One of the dealers that the Hercules website sent me to doesn't even list Hercules tires. There are quite a few threads here where folks give recommendations on tires. I don't think Hercules has ever come up. Unless I was desperate I would look at other brands.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I put 10 ply Maxxis tires on my Outback 298 RE while replacing the 4 leaf springs with a 5 leaf version and Dexter EZ-Flex system with Wet bolt kit.

Pulls awesome!

Griz

Quick Reply: Need Trailer Tires