Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Clutch pedal/action broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I haven't seen the HD clutch hydraulics, but from the photos, it looks like just an upgraded line and the same master and slave cylinder. I've never seen or heard of a line breaking, so that's the last part I'd be worried about upgrading.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
If by 'covering' the pedal you mean holding your foot on it while driving, then no. Floating is where you shift with no clutch, all RPM matching.

That's good that your trip is mainly interstate, I was afraid it'd be partially in town and you'd end up in a situation similar to mine when my clutch went out - hitting a red light with no clutch (somehow while rolling backward first grabbed and didn't stall sending me back on my way).
I don't know if I have enough talent to do that. I do rev match when shifting even with the clutch, but think I would be pushing my luck shifting without the clutch. Especially with the trailer in tow.

The pedal cannot go any higher and the push rod sits just inside the master cylinder. I think it will get us home, and I will fix it then.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by F350-6
I haven't seen the HD clutch hydraulics, but from the photos, it looks like just an upgraded line and the same master and slave cylinder. I've never seen or heard of a line breaking, so that's the last part I'd be worried about upgrading.
I had the same thoughts. I will probably get a LUK assembly from Rock Auto and the parts Timmy posted for the Heim mod. I plan to see how difficult it is to remove the pedal assembly in order to see about repairing the spring bushings.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I don't know if I have enough talent to do that. I do rev match when shifting even with the clutch
That's one thing that is surprisingly so simple on these trucks when towing. Hold the right foot stationary, clutch in, shift, clutch out, then move right foot again. Passengers can't even feel the shift. Many times my wife would look up from her phone/book n ask why it got louder

edit: downshift rev matching, not upshifts

Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
This is the response I received from South Bend.

Hello, there is a difference in the line, but the slave and master are only slightly
different then OEM.
No thanks, going with the LUK from Rock Auto.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I had the same thoughts. I will probably get a LUK assembly from Rock Auto and the parts Timmy posted for the Heim mod. I plan to see how difficult it is to remove the pedal assembly in order to see about repairing the spring bushings.
Seems like it took a bit of cussing and contortion to get the pedal out. It's not hard to do, just no room and hard to reach. It's just a pin with clips on the end. Remove a clip, take the spring off the pedal, then slide the pin out. Just not a whole lot of room to get the pin out.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by F350-6
Seems like it took a bit of cussing and contortion to get the pedal out. It's not hard to do, just no room and hard to reach. It's just a pin with clips on the end. Remove a clip, take the spring off the pedal, then slide the pin out. Just not a whole lot of room to get the pin out.
When all of this first happened and I was trying to get a picture, I thought that I might have to hire a contortionist just to get a good picture.

Thanks for the advice on the pedal, I thought I was going to have to unbolt the entire assembly from the firewall based on a glance at it.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
No, you can get it out with just the pin. Look carefully. Seems like I tried going one way with it and ended up having to pull the pin the other direction. But it's been a while so I don't remember all the details. I just know I got it out. Unbolting it seemed like a bigger hassle.

I also have stuff I can stack up that's level with the floor so I can lay on my back and get up under the dash without having to twist my body too bad. Pulling the front seat makes it easier too. If you've got captains chairs, it's only 4 bolts.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
You a just full of good ideas. I have all sorts of stuff to stack and make a platform. I might have to get a picture of that too just for laughs.

I do have captains chairs. Although I fear if I remove one I may be forced by OCD to remove everything to clean it.

Thanks again for the info and ideas.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
You a just full of good ideas. I have all sorts of stuff to stack and make a platform. I might have to get a picture of that too just for laughs.

I do have captains chairs. Although I fear if I remove one I may be forced by OCD to remove everything to clean it.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts

Yup, a man after my own....you know the rest

Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Yo Sous..back from gods country..so, yeah..Chris got you covered..1 thing ill ad, you must remove both clips and remove pin toward passenger side. If you look closely on driver side, They(ford) massaged the metal and made an impression for the pin to hit so there would be enough room on driver side, but they failed miserably...when removing pin toward pass side, youll fish it threw the loom of wires. Again, they failed miserably BUT it can be done...they pin plastic bushings..BE CAREFUL because THEY only sell them with the PEDAL ASSY....

1) hold hand on clutch pedal and remove master rod
2) release clutch pedal slowly to remove spring
3) remove both clips with grout pic
4) have fun fishingbpin out

Old 08-31-2018, 04:02 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't know if I have enough talent to do that. I do rev match when shifting even with the clutch, but think I would be pushing my luck shifting without the clutch. Especially with the trailer in tow.

The pedal cannot go any higher and the push rod sits just inside the master cylinder. I think it will get us home, and I will fix it then.
After the first couple minutes it gets easier. Id say give it a try on your own time, definitely start empty though. Get a feel for it now so if your clutch ever goes out you'll be able to keep going without skipping a beat. My first time with a trailer was thrown at me on my second day at work. ~50k was interesting uphill for someone use to straight shifting! Anymore it's just habit for me to do it.

I can attest that when I use the clutch, these trucks shift smooth as butter. My buddy was picking on me a couple weeks back that the way I shift people probably think the thing is an automatic.

On my way home I got to thinking, your return spring is still hooked up, isn't it? If you removed that it should help keep the rod in the master - nothing would be trying to pull it out when your foot comes off the pedal.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Made it home today without any issues. Just had to bring my leg up twice as high to push the clutch in. I will get the parts on order in the next day or two and swap them out.

Thanks to everyone for the help in getting the issue figured out and the advice on some of the mods being considered.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Awesome to hear, Sousbox..i wonder if the new trans fluid is to thick for the clutch hydraulics
From first pic, how in the world is did that master rod rust up?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal/action broken