6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"Drive to Clean Exhaust" HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Elsimon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Drive to Clean Exhaust" HELP!

I have read several threads and articles on the subject. Over the last couple of weeks this has been a HUGE thorn in our sides. We have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.7L engine. We bought it new and it has 105,500 miles on it. It is my wife's commuter vehicle. She drives about 10 mile to work and then 10 miles back home. We have an 8,000 lb trailer (9,000 when loaded with gear) that we don't use near enough.

About 10 days ago the "Drive to Clean Exhaust" indicator came on. We hit the freeway to have a long drive at a higher speed. Tried this for a few days and it never finished or reset the indicator. Took it to the dealer on Thursday I got a call and was told they manually reset everything and it was good to go. Picked it up and about the time I got off the lot the indicator came on. Took it back the next morning (Friday). They mechanic worked on it for four hours and I am now told I need to replace the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Quoted me a "discounted" price of $4,400 and would reduce the cost of labor as well. We have only had this dealer do the service, including oil and filter changes since new. Contacted another dealer and was quoted $3,900 including labor. So much for loyalty.

Okay, now to my question for all of you here: Is there a fuel additive that I can or should try first to avoid having to replace the filter?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are fuel additives to lessen the amount of Ps in the DPF, but they won't bring yours back to life. Did the shop do a manual regen of the DPF? Is deleting your DPF an option where you live? It's much cheaper and won't fail you again.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Elsimon
New User
They did the manual regen on Thursday. But the warning came on just after I left the shop. Deleting the DPF is not an option, they are bringing back emission testing next year.

Should I just bite the bullet and have it replaced?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:03 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Elsimon

Should I just bite the bullet and have it replaced?
Yes, but the real problem is using a large diesel engine to commute short distances. You should have an econobox for that job.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
I would try to buy a used DPF before spending that amount of money on a new replacement. There are tons of people selling them. I wonder if the early death of yours had to do with so many short drives and never fully burning it out. Definitely change your driving habits when you get it replaced.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Elsimon
New User
lynnmor - I agree. I have tried to convince her of it too. Quite often I ride my bike to work and she does when she can but this has been a busy year with projects so time has been a premium. When I cycle she takes my car. We just don't want 3 vehicles for 2 drivers, although $4,000+ for repairs on her truck would buy a decent little car and pay for the insurance. What do the delivery trucks do? You see FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc trucks all the time driving around town. They don't get up to 30+MPH for 20+ minutes to clean their exhaust.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 AM
MPawelek
Senior User
lynnmor - I agree. I have tried to convince her of it too. Quite often I ride my bike to work and she does when she can but this has been a busy year with projects so time has been a premium. When I cycle she takes my car. We just don't want 3 vehicles for 2 drivers, although $4,000+ for repairs on her truck would buy a decent little car and pay for the insurance. What do the delivery trucks do? You see FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc trucks all the time driving around town. They don't get up to 30+MPH for 20+ minutes to clean their exhaust.
Most delivery trucks are run hard 10-14 hours a day, not 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon.
Sounds like your next truck should be a gasser.....

Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Elsimon
New User
MPawelek - Our last one was a gasser. By the time we loaded the trailer with gear, filled the truck bed with the bulky stuff (generator and firewood) and put 4 adults in the cab it was too much and we blew cylinder no 7. Looking at a 5th wheel at the RV Show in February and an early retirement in the next few years (3-5) so we will need the diesel to pull the rig with. Wish I hadn't sold my convertible last year. maybe i can talk her into the Jeep she has talked about.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Many of the UPS and similar trucks have gotten away from the diesel engines with the DPF. They now "gas burners" and use natural gas to power the vehicles.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have read several threads and articles on the subject. Over the last couple of weeks this has been a HUGE thorn in our sides. We have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.7L engine. We bought it new and it has 105,500 miles on it. It is my wife's commuter vehicle. She drives about 10 mile to work and then 10 miles back home. We have an 8,000 lb trailer (9,000 when loaded with gear) that we don't use near enough.

About 10 days ago the "Drive to Clean Exhaust" indicator came on. We hit the freeway to have a long drive at a higher speed. Tried this for a few days and it never finished or reset the indicator. Took it to the dealer on Thursday I got a call and was told they manually reset everything and it was good to go. Picked it up and about the time I got off the lot the indicator came on. Took it back the next morning (Friday). They mechanic worked on it for four hours and I am now told I need to replace the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Quoted me a "discounted" price of $4,400 and would reduce the cost of labor as well. We have only had this dealer do the service, including oil and filter changes since new. Contacted another dealer and was quoted $3,900 including labor. So much for loyalty.

Okay, now to my question for all of you here: Is there a fuel additive that I can or should try first to avoid having to replace the filter?
At 10 miles each way the engine isn't even completely warmed up. Surprised your also not building up condensation in the oil. Even the old diesels didn't fare well with that type of driving. No additive will compensate for a cold engine.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM
MPD56
Elder User
I'm not a expert or a parts changer.

There isn't enough information to help you out.

Is your truck giving to bad fuel mileage?

I'd like to know what your DPF pressure is?

It is my understanding that when the DPF is plugged, you will get a DTC code or instead of a "DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST" message.

Where I work we have Ford Diesel trucks and they never to over 30 mph or travel more then 5 miles at a time. My 2013 F350 is a daily driver and my work truck is a 2008 6.4L. with 200 plus mile on it and the same DPF.

Have your truck checked for codes. The Ford dealer must of put them on the receipt.

I have a cell phone app that cost $5 Torque Pro) and a Bluetooth OBDII adapter that monitors DPF press and regens. This would tell you a lot.

I wouldn't pay anything till I got a second opinion, then a quote.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
I as well use my truck primarily short around town trips. Now I only have 66k miles on my truck but if I'm driving around town & I notice the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message pop up I go for a bit of a joy ride which includes a 5 - 7 mile stent on an interstate. I do use PM22a and always seem to get to the 500 mile automatic regen.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Elsimon
New User
I bought a bottle of Lucus Oil Diesel Deep Clean additive and dumped it in when I filled up the tank. I then took it for a joy ride down the interstate for 20 miles each way. This was yesterday. I still have the same errors / warnings on my dash every time I start the truck. I will be gone on a business trip this weekend and Monday (Labor Day) I will be heading up in the mountains to cut firewood. I am hoping that by doing so I will drive enough and will enough weight that it will actually clean the filter. If it does not I will be calling another dealer (not happy with the first dealer's service dept) to have them take a look at it and see if they need to replace the filter.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:35 PM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take the truck to an honest, reliable local mechanic for a second opinion. My experience is that dealers tend to want the fast, easy, expensive fix and are more "part swappers" than mechanics. There are services available that can clean a DPF, I know that many big truck shops do this. You might be able to do something like that and save yourself some money. If not, at least a non-dealer mechanic will be more likely to agree to using a "used" DPF from someone's weight loss program.

It's too bad you can't just delete and be done with it...

Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I suggest you start using Enerburn or BetterDiesel FBC to reduce soot and help keep the DPF clean no matter the outcome. It really works and dramatically reduces soot. Meanwhile, see if you can find a DPF cleaning service.

Quick Reply: "Drive to Clean Exhaust" HELP!