1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Heavy cord, check
gfi protection, check
dedicated electric service if possible, check
practice slipping,sliding, and stopping, check
propper oil for cold weather, check
good snow tires for winter, check

what else do I need o know about? Do's or Don'ts?
The bigger your woman the warmer you'll be at night.

Oh, and MO is probably a free country where you'll want to own a few AR's, a heap of ammo and a variety of handguns. I highly recommend H&K, they're the cream of the crop.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
The bigger your woman the warmer you'll be at night.

Oh, and MO is probably a free country where you'll want to own a few AR's, a heap of ammo and a variety of handguns. I highly recommend H&K, they're the cream of the crop.
Lol, well a very big women would do the job, but I prefer a petite women and three big *** dogs If heat is required. If not the dogs can sleep on the front and back porch... them are sneeky dogs! Way ahead of you in the protection mode! Why the heck do ya think im leaving Ca. I dont want to etch my social security number on each and every round, that would take months!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
You guys disappoint me! If Im going to practice sliding in the snow and ice, one would think a little challange would be an incintive to get it right quicker.. Maybe do it in a fairly full parking lot? I will post up the lot and time before practice day just incase you need to shop elsewhere first.

After doing some reading on studded tires im thinking they arent the answer for where Im going. Only legal a few months a year and work best on ice but not well in rain or dry roads. Think the snow tires without studs is the answer. Chains or cables as emergency equip.?
These are the chains I mentioned earlier. Make sure you get the Super sport rather than the Sport, the difference is 5.5mm vs 3.5mm, they are extremely durable, easy to repair and don’t knock your teeth out on the road. I keep them in the bottom of my toolbox year around. Adding 500 lbs to your truck bed over the axle will also help NO concrete etc, use sand bags, if they fly out they won’t do as much damage as concrete. And you can put the sand down on icy roads etc.

Speaking of Winter… welcome to the world of SALT! I would Fluid Film your truck frame while you’re still in Kommifornia. It’ll protect your frame etc. Buy yourself a large container of Anti seize and plan to use it on every bolt/nut you remove. Find a good car wash and use it regularly, especially cleaning the frame every Spring.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Yeah but John, you're in CO...does MO even have any hills? We don't even use chains here in PA anymore.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Yeah but John, you're in CO...does MO even have any hills? We don't even use chains here in PA anymore.
Mark, the chains are more for potential ice storms in an emergency rather snow covered hills and mountain passes. Most people don’t realize what tire chains are much less how to put them on.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I know you are past this by now, but in order to make things better on my truck, I bought a new cord and a NOCO plug which I mounted in the bumper for the block heater.

Cord here:

Amazon Amazon

Plug outlet:

Amazon Amazon

My cord was showing signs of wear and it was a bit of a pain in the *** to reach under the bumper and find where I had tied it up. This was the cord is out of the way, routed safely and will not move due to the plug outlet on the bumper.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Needless to say my cord has never been touched until today. Its appears to be in perfect condition. i also have a brand new 10 gauge Ridgid extension cord that I was looking for a good use for... think I just found it! Thanks for all the help here guys. It settles my mind knowing that at least this part of this coming winter will be delt with.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
...practice sliding your truck around the lot and recovering from skids ect...
Oddly enough, I think this is a good idea.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
When I was a kid retail blue laws were in effect here in PA and the malls were not allowed to do business on Sundays. That gave us free reign of entire parking lots to practice driving and winter maneuvers. It's definitely exciting to utilize such a wide open paved lot in the snow.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Im sure any type of practice and stick time should help you to respond correctly especially in unique driving conditions. Much like a flight simulator where your working towards a conditioned response. Im sure I will be doing this as all of my ice and snow driving has been in smaller automatics. This heavy ole 6 speed could be a bit different. So just how much weight in the bed is preferred? Maybe leaving the camper shell on through the winter months might be a good thing?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Sometimes you'll want to take off in 2nd gear. Granny and first have too much torque and just spin the wheels sometimes. Usually don't need extra weight in bed with these 4x4s, engine is heavy enough the front grabs well.

Shoved thru 2-3 feet of snow in 2012 to get home from work after a freak snow storm. Had the crewcab packed with co workers who's cars and jeep couldn't claw out of the parking lot

Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
The weight in the bed is as much about traction as it is about balancing the rear end when compared to the weight of the front end. You don't want the rear end so light that the front plants itself in a corner and the rear end slides around, throwing you into 360* spins. I typically put 300-500# directly over the rear axle. Think of the # symbol but square instead of slanted, this will simply slide over the wheel wells in the bed and you put your sandbags in the middle, use 2x8's to create the bracket so your weight stays over the axle rather than sliding around the bed.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Humm maybe make an attachment for the fifth wheel hitch mounting point...

Old 10-08-2018, 01:15 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hootr
The block heater, IIRC draws 1000 Watts. It should measure about 15 Ohms. If it doesn't, you will need to check the cord to the heater.
Out of curiosity I just went out and checked mine. 15.8 Ohms.

We got snow last night, but since I'm a remote employee I don't realy plug in that much unless I have some site visits planned.
Good info though.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Metal twister
Senior User

Thanks guys! Its working well!

Quick Reply: Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff.