Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Metal twister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Block heater plug location, Operational advice, & General Winter stuff.

So I blew through the search page looking for the block heater plug location. Noticed that there are other issues associated with block heaters that im not at all aware of.

My truck has never been out of San Diego or at least into cold weather. Good possibility I will be relocating to Mo. where the winter weather dips into the 20’s on occasion. So it occured to me that I better find the block heater plug and check it for proper operation now before its needed. So where is it, and how does one know if its working properly? I know this is an out of season question but im a cold weather diesel novice. What else do I need to to to winterize the beast. Just changed all the oils to the tune of $250.00 with synthetic royal purple... how does synthetic work in cold weather? Any different than good ole petroleum oil? Sorry for the lame questions but I honestly need to know this stuff and trust the advice of this forum much more than the general internet drivel. Or should I? thanks in advanvce.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
The block heater cord runs to element in the oil cooler, easy to trace it once ya have a starting point

I'd recommend everyone start OHMing glow plugs within the next month too. More comfortable to change em in September than Dec/Jan

Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
If you have the block heater, it’s located just above the oil filter. If you crawl under your truck and look up you can see where it screws into the housing. The cord is typically tucked up under the bumper.

Regarding wintering your truck:
1) Make sure your GP’s and GPR are working and in top notch condition.
2) Quality fuel i.e only buy from a station that sells a LOT of diesel.
3)Everyone has their go to additives for fuel, I use Archoil 6200 year round, this treats 2000 gallons:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132088331675
4)I use Triax 5w40 oil here in Colorado, there’s a thread here that I started as a review. It’s affordable, truck run quieter, smoother and better than when I was running Rotella.
6)In winter I use a timer that turns the GP’s on around 5 hours before I’ll be starting the truck.
7) Don’t be that typical Californian or Texan, no offense intended, that thinks because you have 4wd you can drive like an idiot on snow and ice and then stop on a dime! SLOW DOWN! I know everyone does it, drives too fast, but it’s kind of cliché out here in Colorado ...
8)Good tires designed for snow, NOT MT’s, if you can afford it a set of designated snow tires will make a world of difference in snow and ice.

EDIT: Triax oil review

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-review.html

Old 08-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
I would also add when it snows or ides go to a parking lot that is large and empty and practice sliding your truck around the lot and recovering from skids ect, remember when sliding hit the accelerator NOT the breaks

Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Found the plug! Thanks guys!

Thanks for the great advice, all taken in stride. I did just install 4 new mastercraft e rated 35" for the truck. They come with the holes for studs which is another thing I have no experience with? As far as the driving in cold snow weather... Pretty sure I said im a diesel cold weather novice. Lived in Iceland for a year and a couple of other choice locations on this earth with a life times worth of expierence in extereme driving conditions. But with that said I do understand your point about the typical Calif driver. Point and go and dont get run over! How would one know if the heater is working. Voltage test, or oil temp gauge?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Hootr
Freshman User
Hootr is starting off with a positive reputation.
The block heater, IIRC draws 1000 Watts. It should measure about 15 Ohms. If it doesn't, you will need to check the cord to the heater.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Regardless of your ambient temp. Plug it in overnight. Koeo look at your gauge. If working properly, you will see it sitting higher than the low cool mark.

BTW, if you've never used one. Do buy a high quality extension cord, The shortest run possible to a power source that isn't allready in use. Ideally that leg would be dedicated to the block heater. Super ideally would be a power source that's detached from the dwelling you lay your head down at night.

Check your cord on the truck carefully, make sure it has a plastic chafe loom from start to finish.

Buy a plug end and place it on the male plug with dielectric grease to protect it from the elements when not in use.

You have this!!

Denny

Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Plug it in (use a heavy extension cord). When you first plug it in you should hear it arc a little and fairly soon you should be able to hear the element sizzle in there. If you have that you're good. Or...after having it plugged in for several hours you should be able to feel warmth around the area it's in and the cord should be a little warmer than when not being used.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Look like Denny and Mark beat me to it. Not scientific at all but I plug the cord in and then always look for arc when unplugging. You see it you know it’s working. Hasn’t failed me for 12 winter years yet.

As mentioned I would buy at least a 12 guage quality extension cord.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Metal twister View Post
Found the plug! Thanks guys!

Thanks for the great advice, all taken in stride. I did just install 4 new mastercraft e rated 35" for the truck. They come with the holes for studs which is another thing I have no experience with? As far as the driving in cold snow weather... Pretty sure I said im a diesel cold weather novice. Lived in Iceland for a year and a couple of other choice locations on this earth with a life times worth of expierence in extereme driving conditions. But with that said I do understand your point about the typical Calif driver. Point and go and dont get run over! How would one know if the heater is working. Voltage test, or oil temp gauge?

Just a FYI, once you’ve driven on your tires you can NOT have them studded. The holes fill with debris and won’t accept a stud. I carry a set of Alpine Super Sport tire chains...just in case. I second going to an empty lot and practice stopping, cornering etc.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
You guys disappoint me! If Im going to practice sliding in the snow and ice, one would think a little challange would be an incintive to get it right quicker.. Maybe do it in a fairly full parking lot? I will post up the lot and time before practice day just incase you need to shop elsewhere first.

After doing some reading on studded tires im thinking they arent the answer for where Im going. Only legal a few months a year and work best on ice but not well in rain or dry roads. Think the snow tires without studs is the answer. Chains or cables as emergency equip.?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Also when you plug in, make sure you use a GFCI outlet. If the one you plan on using isn't, definatly upgrade it to one

Old 08-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

Just a FYI, once you’ve driven on your tires you can NOT have them studded. The holes fill with debris and won’t accept a stud. I carry a set of Alpine Super Sport tire chains...just in case. I second going to an empty lot and practice stopping, cornering etc.
I didn't know that.
Originally Posted by Metal twister View Post
You guys disapoint me! If Im going to practice sliding in the snow an ice one would think a little challange would be an incintive to get it right quicker.. Maybe do it in a fairly full parking lot? I will post up the lot and time before practice day just incase you need to shop elsewhere first.

After doing some reading on studded tires im thinking they arent the answer for where Im going. Only legal a few months a year and work best on ice but not well in rain or dry roads. Think the snow tires without studs is the answer. Chains or cables?
LOL maybe you better look for a place in AZ or NM rather than MO.

Just plain old snow tires work well, even all season tires for that matter. What kind of tires do you have?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Heavy cord, check
gfi protection, check
dedicated electric service if possible, check
practice slipping,sliding, and stopping, check
propper oil for cold weather, check
good snow tires for winter, check

what else do I need o know about? Do's or Don'ts?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
What kind of tires do you have?
in the sig line. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.