Factory 5th Wheel Prep vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 AM
rtraviator
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Factory 5th Wheel Prep vs Aftermarket

Looking for opinions and real-world experience with factory 5th vs aftermarket kit. What is your preference factory is a must, aftermarket is a must. What about the in-bed electrical connection with an aftermarket? What about weight... Thanks.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first two units were complete aftermarket installs (I didn't add the additional elec. connectors) - they both met all my needs.
My newest truck has the puck system; it too works. Is it worth the $500 upgrade - probably not, but it does make for a cleaner bed.

The one thing that I've done differently (this time) is changing over to the Anderson hitch (it uses the goose ball attachment). In the past (due to weight, dirt, effort required) I always left the hitch installed. With the Anderson hitch it's easy/ lightweight to remove/ reinstall - I think that'd be the feature I'd encourage you to consider.

Less pin weight, easy to use, only requires a removable goose ball in the bed.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
The B&W system (turnover frame/gooseneck ball + companion 5th wheel) is a very robust system. Everywhere I have been the past several years there are trucks set up with them. I did a tree job with a guy a couple years ago that pulled a dual triple heavy equipment trailer with a telehandler on it with a B&W turnover ball. For a long time this is what I had on my list to put in my truck. I do not have the factory system. If I had put a hitch in before this year it would most certainly be a B&W.

By the way, check the tech folder in the 6.7 forum. EpicCowlick did an install video of the B&W a few years ago. Very well done.

After doing some research and thinking through hitches I am steering away from the B&W system. It is a nice system for what it is, however the limitation I find that I can't get over is the adaptability. You are stuck with the Turnover ball and the Companion 5th wheel - and that's it (both really good hitches, again, for what they are though).

For me, what I am focusing on is a nice air ride hitch - like a Trailer Saver TSLB or TS3. These convert to both 5th wheel heads and gooseneck ***** so you get the floating hitch performance with both set ups. I can not run any of those options with a B&W frame.

There are adapters to go between the puck system to conventional above-bed rails. That is how the TS3 mounts - it is a conventional above bed rail hitch, however there are puck adapters to convert to (Hensley Mfg makes one you can get with the TS3, there are other options). Again, with a B&W there aren't any other options.

The OEM system is the Reece Elite Series. There are two Reece kits - OEM and a more universal install. The OEM is for later models and is based on the factory bolt holes in the frames. I suspect the universal kits will require more fabrication, but it is an option for pretty much any truck.

There are a lot of considerations for what kind of hitch you want to get. I would not steer away from the B&W system, in fact I would put that high on the list of aftermarket options (in fact, I would put that at the top of the list if you consider the OEM system is the Reece Elite).
- Weight, as Army RET pointed out, is a consideration if you are installing/removing the hitch often.
- Load rating of the hitch (GVWR and pin) is certainly another.
- Do not forget the kingpin release levers - ease of releasing, ease of access to the lever, can you extend it to reach from outside the bed, does it automatically lock (with the addition of a safety check to make sure it locked, of course) when hooking up?
- For 5th wheel hitches - does the head roll? or just pitch and yaw? Some heads only pitch and yaw, they have no R/L roll ability. This means the trailer and truck will roll more or less together. It will also make hitching/un-hitching on uneven ground a nightmare (side loading the kingpin = hard release/latch).
- Ride quality - Can you get by with a rigid hitch? Or do you need a floating hitch?

As far as the electrical plug up in the bed - that is a moot point compared to the hitch selection. You can install the electrical plug or get it from the factory, it doesn't make a difference like your hitch selection does.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:23 PM
rtraviator
Mountain Pass
KC8VQO, thanks for the detailed response, much food for thought there. A big part of my hitch quest is conserving weight.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
In my '18 F350 I got the factory prep hitch installed. On my previous '15 F250 I had the Reese aftermarket kit installed with bed rails. I much prefer the factory prep install vs the bed rails or the after market under bed package that either requires removal of the bed or a lot of contortion to get it in place.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM
rtraviator
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ssunit1
under bed package that either requires removal of the bed or a lot of contortion to get it in place.
It looks like the B&W GNRK1117 is very doable in about four hours and it only weighs 22 more pounds than the factory installation.

B&W Trailer Hitches | We Recommend the GNRK1117 Hitch Kit |

Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 584 Likes on 385 Posts
I’m going to totally confuse you but remember you will be happy with either kit if you’re using an Andersen Ultimate Hitch.

A factory installed 5th wheel prep is a heck of a deal at MSRP of $500. It’s made by Reese. The aftermarket Reese Elite is the same.

If your truck does not have the factory installation then either the Reese or B&W turnover work fine with Andersen hitch.

If you’re using an Andersen hitch the B&W safety chain loops don’t interfere with the Andersen base. With the Ford or Resse kit the puck holes are covered by the Andersen base. If you use safety chains with the Ford/Reese kits you would either have to drill 3-1/4” holes to accommodate the Pucks for the chain connections or Andersen now sells a safety plate that attaches. https://andersenhitches.com/Products...late-only.aspx

Neither kit includes an in bed connection point for the 5th wheel cable but can be purchased.

——————

Reese Elite
Pro:
Can be used with rail system if desired
Factory type installation
Cons:
Must drill 5 good size holes in bed or use adapter plate for safety chains with Andersen hitch
Must store gooseball and puck kit in cabin
Higher cost vs B&W

B&W
Pro:
Gooseball can be turned over and stored in bed
Safety chain loops don’t interfere with Andersen hitch
Cost is slightly less than Reese

Cons:
No connection accommodation for rail system
Must use handle in wheel well area to lock in gooseball

Here’s a picture of my Andersen hitch showing the holes I drilled for the safety chain pucks.

Name:  FgBOrskl.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  60.7 KB

Old 08-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anderson now offers a safety chain kit (chains and tie down point) for their ultimate hitch, $140:
https://shop.andersenhitches.com/pro...ins-with-plate

Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 PM
rtraviator
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Flyct
I’m going to totally confuse you but
I solved the problem and bought a truck with the factory 5th wheel prep. Thanks for all of the input!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 584 Likes on 385 Posts
Originally Posted by rtraviator

I solved the problem and bought a truck with the factory 5th wheel prep. Thanks for all of the input!

congrats. Welcome to the club.