1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gooseneck hitch -buying a 5th wheel camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:59 AM
cornell5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gooseneck hitch -buying a 5th wheel camper

I have have a 1999 f250 SD that has a gooseneck hitch with the turnover ball. Was this an option from Ford from the factory? Anyone know the ratings for this?

We are looking at buying a 31st 5th wheel camper and was looking at either buying a 5th wheel adapter to gooseneck or a B&W companion hitch that attaches to the gooseneck ball.

Any suggestions?

I also need to know the max weight of a camper I can tow. How do I figure this out?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cornell5
I have have a 1999 f250 SD that has a gooseneck hitch with the turnover ball. Was this an option from Ford from the factory? Anyone know the ratings for this?

We are looking at buying a 31st 5th wheel camper and was looking at either buying a 5th wheel adapter to gooseneck or a B&W companion hitch that attaches to the gooseneck ball.

Any suggestions?

I also need to know the max weight of a camper I can tow. How do I figure this out?
With a turn over ball, you most likely have a B&W frame hitch. I also recommend their Companion hitch as well as it's as close to being bullet proof as any.

A goose neck adapter is probably a bad idea. Most RV manufacturers will void their warranty unless they specifically say that they can be used. Think of that 2-3 feet of adapter as a pry bar on the frame and what it can do. Many(most?) RV manufacturers are using Lippert frame and even on the best trailers, they are at the low end of design specs.

This is the conventional B&W Companion in my last truck bed. I have the Ford 5er option with a B&W hitch as well:

As far as what your truck will haul - you need to tell us engine, rear axle ratio and suspension capability at a minimum.

As a note, scroll (way) down the list of site forums and you will find an RV forum with lots of knowledgeable folks and get more answers

Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in 1999 there was no factory gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch option available from Ford Motor. The BW flip over gooseneck is one of the most popular on the market. I had a F-550 with a ranch style bed on it that has the BW flip over gooseneck hitch installed under it. When I went to purchase a 5th wheel hitch I went with the BW Companion Hitch that uses the gooseneck hitch to mount the Companion Hitch. It was a great setup and I highly recommend it.
What you do is pull the release rod and remove the gooseneck ball, then the base of the Companion Hitch has a receiver on the bottom of the base that inserts into the hole where the gooseneck ball would be. Once the base is in place you simply slide the release rod to lock the base in place, then place the Companion Hitch head on top of the base and your ready to go.
This is the hitch I am speaking of:
http://www.turnoverball.com/products...th-wheel-hitch
I let that hitch go with the truck when I sold it, but did purchase another BW Companion Hitch that mounts via rails in the bed of the truck, which I currently use.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:36 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
the B&W companion is probably the best on the market. Aside from price, there is no reason not to use it. You will want to make sure that you actually have a B&W, though. It could be a custom job that was built off the B&W idea (ours is a custom built hitch that could be mistaken for a B&W from the top)

if price weighs into your decision (as it would for me), check out the Andersen hitch:
Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

for half the price, it has a lot of advantages.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM
cornell5
Junior User
Originally Posted by Irelands child
With a turn over ball, you most likely have a B&W frame hitch. I also recommend their Companion hitch as well as it's as close to being bullet proof as any.

A goose neck adapter is probably a bad idea. Most RV manufacturers will void their warranty unless they specifically say that they can be used. Think of that 2-3 feet of adapter as a pry bar on the frame and what it can do. Many(most?) RV manufacturers are using Lippert frame and even on the best trailers, they are at the low end of design specs.

This is the conventional B&W Companion in my last truck bed. I have the Ford 5er option with a B&W hitch as well:

As far as what your truck will haul - you need to tell us engine, rear axle ratio and suspension capability at a minimum.

As a note, scroll (way) down the list of site forums and you will find an RV forum with lots of knowledgeable folks and get more answers
6.8L V-10, 3.73 rear axle, stock suspension.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cornell5

6.8L V-10, 3.73 rear axle, stock suspension.
Ok, you'll also need some more information.

Your truck's GVWR
Your truck's empty weight
Your truck's GCWR
The trailer's GVWR
The trailer's pin weight
The weight of all passengers and cargo you'll be carrying

Once you have all this information, you can determine whether the trailer you're looking at is within specs for your truck.

That being said, 31 feet isn't all that big for a fifth wheel. I don't see you having any problems towing it with your truck. Still good to have all the above information though.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM
KenRebF-250
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the BW fifth wheel compatible with other brands of goose neck ball receivers under the bed floor or does the fifth wheel conversion need a BW goose neck receiver in the bed floor?

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
AFAIK, the companion only works with the B&W.

there may be some others, but B&W uses a 2.5" (? - bigger than normal) square tube for their turn over ball and companion adapter.

my wife's uncle's Companion did not work with our under bed hitch because of the size of the under-bed receiver. (even though ours was patterned after the B&W)

Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 PM
cornell5
Junior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Ok, you'll also need some more information.

Your truck's GVWR
Your truck's empty weight
Your truck's GCWR
The trailer's GVWR
The trailer's pin weight
The weight of all passengers and cargo you'll be carrying

Once you have all this information, you can determine whether the trailer you're looking at is within specs for your truck.

That being said, 31 feet isn't all that big for a fifth wheel. I don't see you having any problems towing it with your truck. Still good to have all the above information though.
Ok, i think the dry weight of the 5th wheel trailer we were looking at was around 10k

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
You need the wet weight (GVW) of the trailer. Dry weight is meaningless.

What are your axle ratings on the truck and look at your tires.

What kind of tires and rating are they?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
I had that same rig before in a short bed crew cab. Your GVWR is 8800. Your GCVWR is 20k. The truck weighs about 6150 empty if it s 2wd CC, short bed. So you can have 8800-6150 = 2650 for cargo, people, and pin weight of the 5th wheel. It is rated at towing 12k. Mine had LT265/16 tires rated at 3411lbs each. I think the rear axle is 6850, that info is on the drivers door tag. If you max that out expect to get about 7-8mpg towing. I eventually changed my gear to 4.10:1 and it helped a lot.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I may be one of the few that sold my B&W OEM Companion for a gooseneck. I now have a Reese Goose Box on my camper to replace the 5th wheel king pin. I absolutely love it. I can unhitch my camper and remove my gooseneck and store it under the seat. No more having to pull the B&W Companion out and store it. I love the ability of always having a flat bed in the truck and having my hitch with me as well. It's the best of both worlds for me. And I love that the Goose Box has an airbag and shock. It's really been a nice set up for me.

Reese - Goose Box

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 AM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a '99 F-250 SD V-10 Supercab long bed and I removed a Reese 12K 5th wheel hitch and rails, if someone needs one. I have no need for it.