Centech Instal Pearls - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Centech Instal Pearls

Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Sparty73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Centech Instal Pearls

I have ordered a Centech kit for my f250... Ive been looking online for anyone that has recorded their install and had no luck. Anybody have advice? I've never done this but think if I take my time it should be ok. Wondering about running the loop to the bed and rear lights. Does it just run through the frame? Any wisdom would be great.

Sean

Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM
hickory1991
Posting Guru
hickory1991 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Didn't document my install but was easy with the instructions they provide. Rear harness runs on inside of drivers frame rail, held in place with the original frame clips or aftermarket wire clamps. I bought a new harness for the tailights from Mr Tailight on fleabay because I wanted all new sockets. If I can do it so can you.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Thanks , I think ill take photos along the way to document the progress

Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 PM
lafermedavid
Postmaster
lafermedavid is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lafermedavid is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Im leaning on hickory advice 2

Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 AM
1TonBasecamp
Posting Guru
1TonBasecamp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Definitely interested in seeing the results. Done several of the Early Bronco kits, but not a pickup yet.
Where did you end up mounting the fuse panel?

Thanks

Paul

Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM
lafermedavid
Postmaster
lafermedavid is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lafermedavid is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
.Actually Hickory helped me out with instrument plug in ,back of instrument panel,,,,,Jim said these are almost impossible to find.So if your in a junk yard and you spot and old Ford pick up ,take your time and survey well,,you might need it down the road....I screwed up the last old truck I came upon ,now long gone ,,,,always looking ,,,,,,,just received my kit from jim,but I'll be awhile

Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp View Post
Definitely interested in seeing the results. Done several of the Early Bronco kits, but not a pickup yet.
Where did you end up mounting the fuse panel?

Thanks

Paul
I have not got the harness yet , waiting for it to arrive. I take pic along the way

Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hickory1991 View Post
Didn't document my install but was easy with the instructions they provide. Rear harness runs on inside of drivers frame rail, held in place with the original frame clips or aftermarket wire clamps. I bought a new harness for the tailights from Mr Tailight on fleabay because I wanted all new sockets. If I can do it so can you.
how did you mount the fuse panel?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:25 PM
hickory1991
Posting Guru
Pretty much in the stock location. Am up at hunting camp and do not have any pics on my laptop.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Getting ready to run the wires back to the bed. The old wiring runs from under the dash out the firewall with the main bundle to the front of the truck. It then dives down and runs back near tranny and eventually runs along the frame. Im wondering if this loom should be running out the same hole as the EBrake. Doesn’t seem to make sense to run trough firewall and double back?

Old 09-19-2018, 05:28 AM
hickory1991
Posting Guru
Ran mine pretty much like oem. I salvaged the big firewall grommet from the old harness and ran most of my wires thru it. Centech gives you enough wire to do this. My tailight sockets were bad so I ordered this and soldered the new wires to it with weather proof connections. Worked out great. Also wired in 7-pin brake controller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/73-75-76-77...QAAOxyGwNTDPSk

Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM
1TonBasecamp
Posting Guru
1TonBasecamp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Sparty73 View Post
Im wondering if this loom should be running out the same hole as the EBrake.
No, never. Not only might they interfere with each other, or not fit into a grommet together anyway (if the wire bundle is large enough), but all wiring is optimally supposed to stay still, steady and stable. With nothing moving against it.
So a parking brake cable, that can see a lot of tension cycles run next to wiring is not necessarily the best practice.

Originally Posted by Sparty73 View Post
Doesn’t seem to make sense to run trough firewall and double back?
Made more sense to them at the time than it did to run the wires across the floor and out the back, where they are in way more danger of being scuffed, rubbed and torn asunder, under a simple floor mat that was not held down by anything (early models) or carpet of the later models. And with very little insulation, passengers were going to wear a wire loom down pretty quickly compared to the alternative.
Not only all that, but Broncos were Utility Vehicles pure and simple. Expected to be used like trucks, with junk, cans, debris and equipment thrown into the back and rolling and banging around, which are also not good for wires. And the optional heavy equipment (post hole diggers/augers, and other hydraulic equipment) and they would have had to keep the wiring tucked way over to the side, or up and under the protection of metal somewhere.
I'm guessing they checked out what you're suggesting, but found that routing it through the firewall and down the frame rail used less wire and fewer anchors (less cost) and fewer hassles in the long run.

Paul

Old 10-05-2018, 12:06 AM
Sparty73
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hickory1991 View Post
So ive started my rewire. Hickory. Can you give me some pointers on the wiring to the headlights. I think the previous owner did a lot of splices. From the firewall where did you need to splice into the old harness. On the passenger side there’s a factory plug that wires all the lights, on driver side there a bunch of splices with No plug.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 AM
hickory1991
Posting Guru
First off I used the existing headlight harness's from each side. Then i cut off the corresponding plug to the harness's from my old harness. Ran wires from firewall to headlight harness on drivers side. Near firewall or where suits you best I stripped insulation from each wire and soldered and heat shrunk excess wire from drivers side to passenger side headlight harness plug. Then I soldered and heat shrunk both headlight wires to the old plugs I cut off old harness. Or you could just run the new wires straight to the headlight connector using the new spades that Centech provides. Still splice wires to run to both sides. I ran passenger headlight wires across cowl then down passenger inner fender. Clear as mud huh. Been 3 years since I did mine. Everything is in loom now. Will try to get a pic or two today for ya. If I can do it so can you.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:37 PM
hickory1991
Posting Guru
Hey Sparty, here are some pics. Probably not that helpful.

Passenger side

Drivers side

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.