6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Level or not to level ? (kit)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 PM
sullyt28
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Level or not to level ? (kit)

Never gave much thought to getting a leveling kit, however, the more I look at it ('18 F350 SRW) it has quite a stink bug look (ie. the back end sits up quite a bit almost like it has a plow on the front).

I have a 5th wheel / goose neck set up in which I haul some pretty heavy weight and when I do tow the set up seems fine. I'm going to get air bags and replace the pogo sticks they call shocks to improve the ride. The leveling kit would make the truck look more uniform unloaded however I'm thinking Ford designed the truck to basically haul on the helper springs in which the truck becomes level, headlight aim etc..

Concern - if I install the kit the front end may be to high when towing ? Note : air bags would help that though. Or is a 2.5' lift nothing to worry about ?

Any other things to consider like alighnment and headlight aim ? Front end geometry wear and tear ?

Thoughts / Recommendations ? Didn't see many posts on the topic other than to add oversized tires.

Btw re. air bags, any preferences with the air bag set up ? I like the air lift frame to axle set up (beside the leaf spring) vs the firestone frame to top of the leaf spring set up.

Thanks,

- Sully

Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about it, I did a level kit and air bags as well. Went with ride rites, they mounted from axle to the inside of the frame for my MY. Also added sulastic shackles, ride empty is much better, however, jury is still out if I like them or not for towing. Looking back, kinda wish I'd just budgeted for a Kelderman 4 link honestly. My difference between dorking with stuff and small adds I am not that much off a 4 link setup.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I've leveled the last couple of trucks. Looks better unloaded. When I hook up my GN Horse trailer, I feel like I'm driving uphill and I get flashed a lot at night, So I added Firestone bags and the Airlift Wireless compressor. I run around empty at 10 psi and when I hook up the trailer I bump the air to 50 psi and level everything out again.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
A front only level kit will negativity effect caster (alignment). There are ways to fix this (new/modified radius arm, drop brackets) but most don't and just live with poor caster.

Air lift only makes under frame air bag kits (not beside/over spring) that I know of. Both Firestone and Air ride bags have very limited travel and hinder the rear axle's movement resulting in degraded on and off road performance. There are solutions for this as well, but fine for most just rolling down the road pulling a 5er.

Maybe Consider a 1.5" or 2 front spacer. The 1.5" can have caster compensated with ball joint shims but then you can't get it aligned again (because caster is already maxed out)

Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leveled my 2015 F350 SRW by swapping out the 4" rear blocks with 2" blocks. I did it this way because I tow a smaller 5th wheel which doesn't put much weight on the hitch and it helps with the camper being more level when going down the road. My F350 also has the additional helper springs to prevent the F250 sag. The block replacement cost me about $350 from a local shop (parts included).

Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 AM
sullyt28
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The air bags I was looking at is the air lift 88399 which is a frame to axle kit. The wireless compressor kit is a little steep. My 6.0 I had the manual gauge and compressor set up which worked well.

I didn't want to mess up the front geometry so I'm going to have to look into this a little further. Carli makes a kit, seems expensive and failry labour intensive.

Its hard to believe these OEM's can't come up with a better suspension system and were still dealing with 80 year old leaf springs and sub par shock absorbers. Dodge seem to be on the right track offering air bag options not sure if that is still the case. The Kelderman is a great design just one hell of an investment.

The reductionl of the rear blocks is a good idea, something to consider. Thanks Braggs.