Question about the Bak Flip MX4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Question about the Bak Flip MX4

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Gumbeaux
New User
Gumbeaux is starting off with a positive reputation.

I currently have the Under Cover UltraFlex on my Raptor and really like it. Want a cover for the F250 and was thinking about the same cover, but it's only 3 panels, so I'm pretty certain that with the cover either up against the cab, or configured with 2/3 of the bed open, and 1/3 covered, I'm not going to be able to see the gooseneck ball from the high mount camera.

The MX4 by Bak looks similar, but is 4 panels. So my question is, for you guys that have that cover, can you see the gooseneck ball with the cover folded up against the cab and/or with it set to the 25% covered, 75% open configuration? This question is for the guys with the short bed.

Also, is this cover leaving any marks on the cab when it's folded all the way up? I've owned 2 Bak products in my life, one a flip that left marks on the cab, and then the original Roll-X (was the first version of the Revolver) and I wasn't overly happy with either, but it looks like they've tweaked their designs some on both to improve the quality and fit over the years.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Kaadk
Freshman User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.

I can just barely see the head of my fiver's hitch as shown here. I don't have GN ball to test with, but I doubt I'd be able to see it.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Gumbeaux
New User
Awesome, thanks! Not the answer I was hoping for but I appreciate it.

What if you flip the cover up against the cab? Does it sit far enough below the brake light that the camera can see your fiver hitch?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Kaadk
Freshman User
I haven't tried yet, as I like to have visibility hooking up the camper. I'll see if I can get a shot of it that way the next time I hook up the camper.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM
F250Smitty
Senior User
F250Smitty is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't answer about seeing past, but they way the directions had you position the big rubber bumpers, when folded and leaning up, it hits the back glass, and doesn't touch the cab anywhere.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Kaadk
Freshman User

It was nighttime, so these photos are a little dark. I can marginally see more of the hitch, but the cover still blocks some of the view

Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM
Gumbeaux
New User
Thank you sir! Obviously the flip covers won't work if you want to see the gooseneck ball.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Kaadk
Freshman User
Yep, pretty much.

I really wanted to go with a retractable cover, like a Retrax or a Roll-N-Lock, but I couldn’t ignore the nearly $1000 price difference.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Gumbeaux
New User
I hear you. I don't like the canister in the bed, either. Maybe I go back to the Revolver. .

Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 AM
BK39
Junior User
BK39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dumb question for you guys, I've never owned a bed cover, but now that I have a 5'r, and hitch stays in the truck 95% of the time, I'm considering a folding cover. What do you do with the cover when you pull the 5th wheel, does it simply flip up, stay in place while towing, or do you remove the entire thing?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Gumbeaux
New User
I just pull goosenecks and there's plenty of clearance. I've heard mixed reports from the guys with fivers. Some say there's not enough clearance and some get away with it. I think it depends on your hitch height and the fiver that you have.

They do make some flip covers that come off pretty easily, I don't think they look as good, though.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
dksmith17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BK39 View Post
Dumb question for you guys, I've never owned a bed cover, but now that I have a 5'r, and hitch stays in the truck 95% of the time, I'm considering a folding cover. What do you do with the cover when you pull the 5th wheel, does it simply flip up, stay in place while towing, or do you remove the entire thing?
FWIW I have a soft lund trifold on a CCSB with andersen hitch and no clearance issues

I'm in the minority but I think the soft trifolds are underrated. No bracket installation to mess with + lifetime warranty + 1/5 to 1/2 the price of hards. If someone really wants to get in your bed they will - hard or soft.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM
jnphobe
Junior User
jnphobe is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a fold a cover, hard 4 section cover that opens from the front or back and folds up on the front section for the 5th wheel

Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BK39 View Post
I fold mine to the last panel (not up against the window) but I've got the 8' bed. Work's great and no clearance issues.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Kaadk
Freshman User
I fold mine like you see in the daytime shot. (Post #2). My hitch is a Demco Autoslide. No problems at all wth clearance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.