Ford Reman'd 5.4 Warranty Administration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Ford Reman'd 5.4 Warranty Administration?

2005 E350 with 2V 5.4 gasser currently with142K miles extremely low hot idle oil pressure (barely 8psi @ idle, 55psi @ 1800RPM parked), will decide this week whether to use a Jasper engine or one from Ford dealership, about same price for me. PO was a fleet so hard telling what kind of maintenance was really done, was oil level checked often enough? Don't know.

This will be installed by a legitimate mechanic/friend who tends to use Jasper engines often, is willing to install a Ford engine for same price and I pretty much trust him without question, He does a lot of Ford engine work for a local fleet, drivers who simply don't do any sort of pre-trip inspection even though they drive the same truck(s) daily. Typical fleet drivers...............

Maintenance would be DIY by me, things like oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs COP's etc dates and mileage recorded and printable if needed. No aftermarket tuners installed, regular pump gas, about 15K miles a year as a service truck for my business---it sits on a job anywhere from 30 minutes up to 6 hours 5-6 days a week, colder months finds it idling to keep installation materials warm during those service calls.

Question is has anyone here used a Ford engine, were any issues encountered during the warranty period and how much hassle was involved getting it straightened out? Dealership says "it's covered.............." but in the event I have an issue what's ahead getting it sorted out and covered so I'm not out more money?

Looking forward to any real experiences both good and/or bad---thanks in advance FTE!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Well first hand I do find the Ford reman engine warranty much easier. It's very convenient to be able to go to any dealership and have it repaired should there be an issue. Just know they want to see long blocks installed with all Ford parts including gaskets.

Attached Images
Old 08-08-2018, 04:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Well first hand I do find the Ford reman engine warranty much easier. It's very convenient to be able to go to any dealership and have it repaired should there be an issue. Just know they want to see long blocks installed with all Ford parts including gaskets.
Thanks for the reply GasHog---much appreciated, the Warranty link very helpful. Do you have any first-hand experience with how Ford qualifies any one mechanic as an acceptable installer? My friend has his own mobile service business, is very well known through out the fleet vehicle repair world. Certainly not a shade tree or fly-by-night outfit.

I don't mind using OEM or Motorcraft parts----except for a prematurely failed steering box out of warranty the cost isn't significantly higher. If such things affect the warranty its (hopefully) a one-time purchase anyway.

My next hurdle will be talking with my closest and frequently used Ford dealer to see if they'll price-match another dealer's quoted price of $3050 plus core of $800. I try to be loyal to good vendors but if I can negotiate a better price certainly not above that either, especially for the same item.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:06 AM
Arodzthegreat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Remanufactured 5.4 3V

Originally Posted by JWA
Thanks for the reply GasHog---much appreciated, the Warranty link very helpful. Do you have any first-hand experience with how Ford qualifies any one mechanic as an acceptable installer? My friend has his own mobile service business, is very well known through out the fleet vehicle repair world. Certainly not a shade tree or fly-by-night outfit.
I don't mind using OEM or Motorcraft parts----except for a prematurely failed steering box out of warranty the cost isn't significantly higher. If such things affect the warranty its (hopefully) a one-time purchase anyway.

My next hurdle will be talking with my closest and frequently used Ford dealer to see if they'll price-match another dealer's quoted price of $3050 plus core of $800. I try to be loyal to good vendors but if I can negotiate a better price certainly not above that either, especially for the same item.
Local CT Ford dealers are quoting an average of $4800 plus $800 core!!! Any one has any leads on a more inexpensive ford reman for a 5.4 3valve?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Arodzthegreat
Local CT Ford dealers are quoting an average of $4800 plus $800 core!!! Any one has any leads on a more inexpensive ford reman for a 5.4 3valve?
I have the luxury of having a great relationship with a few of the local dealers parts departments. One of my customers spend lots of money at another dealership so initially I asked them to get me a price for my 5.4 V--theoretically they'd receive the best price. Once I had that number ($3050 + $800 core) and dealership name I asked my preferred dealer if they could/would match that price---they'd come in about $3300 plus core. Mind you these were all for a 2 valve 5.4 going into a 2005 E350.

If you have any friends or such who buy a lot of Ford parts you might try asking them to get a quote for you in their name. Sadly a Ford reman'd engine will be sold for whatever the dealers wants but there is more than enough wiggle room. Sucking up doesn't hurt a bit either---paying a personal visit rather than telephone shopping could make a difference too.

Good luck and hope this is helpful!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Arodzthegreat
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
I have the luxury of having a great relationship with a few of the local dealers parts departments. One of my customers spend lots of money at another dealership so initially I asked them to get me a price for my 5.4 V--theoretically they'd receive the best price. Once I had that number ($3050 + $800 core) and dealership name I asked my preferred dealer if they could/would match that price---they'd come in about $3300 plus core. Mind you these were all for a 2 valve 5.4 going into a 2005 E350.

If you have any friends or such who buy a lot of Ford parts you might try asking them to get a quote for you in their name. Sadly a Ford reman'd engine will be sold for whatever the dealers wants but there is more than enough wiggle room. Sucking up doesn't hurt a bit either---paying a personal visit rather than telephone shopping could make a difference too.

Good luck and hope this is helpful!
Thank you !!

Old 09-08-2019, 05:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Thank you !!
I should also add or suggest if you visit a dealership DON'T tell them you read something on the internet or otherwise sound like a newbie BS'er---the parts guys hear that nonsense all day long and quickly lose respect along with any desire to help a guy out. They're only human and tend to respond favorably to being treated as such.

Good luck if you go shopping---if you were closer to Columbus OH I could help you get a decent price.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 AM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
FWIW......use at your own risk...the 6.0 guys have not been happy with the Ford ReMans but could be a completely different rebuilder than the Triton...who knows

Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
FWIW......use at your own risk...the 6.0 guys have not been happy with the Ford ReMans but could be a completely different rebuilder than the Triton...who knows
Its my understanding the two different fuel types are NOT reman'd by the same outfit.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Beechkid
Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Kearny Mesa Ford, San Diego 92111 800-635-6669

A lot of guys I know buy the "expensive parts" from them...……………..

Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Turningwrenches19
Freshman User
Don’t use Jasper . I’ve installed 100’s and wouldn’t trust them with my lawn mower they also love to deny warranty claims for uneducated and incorrect reasoning as to why an engine or transmission went bad ... and you can argue til you’re blue in the face they won’t change their mind . Ford Reman or similar is what I would do.