Field coil replacement - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Field coil replacement

Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 PM
HillBillyBuddha
Senior User
HillBillyBuddha is starting off with a positive reputation.
Field coil replacement

1998 F150 4.6L

My a/c stopped working last month. That was no fun but I wasn't to worried about it. Started to hear a rattling noise from the engine compartment a couple days ago. It was a terrible sound. Once I started looking for the sound, it was pretty obvious it was the a/c compressor. You could see the clutch rattling. Took the 8mm bolt out, pulled the face plate off and a few ball bearings fell out, along with a smashed up piece of metal.

I'm guessing that the bearings that hold the field coil to the compressor. My question is, do I have to remove the compressor to pull the field coil? I'd rather not have to break into the a/c system, if I don't have too.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
You can do it installed but it's tight. It will help by giving you more working room if you remove the passenger wheel well liner and the fan shroud.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:14 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
You probably don't have to replace the coil, just the pulley and the clutch plate.

The field coil is pressed onto the snout of the compressor housing. Those bearings were from the belt pulley.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM
HillBillyBuddha
Senior User
HillBillyBuddha is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, that makes since. But it's still the same question, I csrb do it in truck, I don't have to pull the whole compressor to change the pulley, right?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:55 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Not for the pulley. I did it on my old 97 with the 5.4 and had enough room. Never had to do it on a 4.6 but I imagine it wouln't be any different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.