1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Home now, with my tail between my legs....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Go with the T-409 unless it's a show truck or you just have to be the shiniest exhaust in the mall parking lot, then go with the 304 SS. You can get a 304 SS tip so that it looks nice but the 409 will last just fine.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbj
...another transmission mod/upgrade I read about was people going with a newer style pan and filter from the 2008 and newer trucks that has an actual media style filter and not just the rock catcher screen that is in our trucks (videos show for 6.0, but I believe our 7.3's have the same rock catcher screen filter but I could be wrong...
You're correct, the 7.3L filtering system is much like the 6.0's system, however...

... I had already went with a deep aluminum pan which comes with the same upgraded media filter that was in the videos I posted here. I didn't come across those videos until after I had already purchased my deep pan following my transmission rebuild. I would have gone with the pan in the videos if I would have known since it is a lot cheaper than what I ended up with. Just some food for thought for you if you are going to do the 6.0 transmission cooler install. Some more ideas for you on how to spend more money....LOL
That 2008 trans pan and filter upgrade is for the 6.0 5R110 transmission. That 2008 trans pan won't fit on the 7.3L 4R100 transmission.

Stewart

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-4 on the 409 exhaust.

Any other feed back on any of the other parts?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
If it were me looking at the same repairs you are doing, I would change the following...

- FRx to CNC Fabrication 4 way fuel system. I appreciate Clay and what he does for us, but the CNC Fabrication 4 way fuel kit is so much better.
- OEM only on the UVCH and valve cover gaskets. The Dorman are tempting, but the OEM ones have been updated from their original design and are your best bet.
- OEM coolant overflow bottle. Before installing, check the plastic welds and repair them prior to installing if needed.
- Coolant filtration system, are you running ELC? If so, the filtration system is not really required, but sure looks good and gives great peace of mind. If you have the mean green coolant, then press on with the filtration system.

I have never been a customer of Sinister, their prices are normally too high for me. They do have some nice looking parts though.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Thanks Sous,

OEM for the UVCH harnesses is the way I was going to go from Riffraff. As for the valve cover gaskets, Riffraff carries ones made by Navistar, should I look for another, or is that what you are referring to?
I am running the ELC, but my overflow bottle is cracked and "gunky" so I am concerned about what may be in the system and would like whatever is in there out.
I was going to go with the OEM overflow bottle but had also been leaning toward an aftermarket aluminum one for $138 on ebay. I'm still not sure which one yet. If I do go plastic, how do I go about repairing it if required?
As for the CNC 4way, this is the first I have heard of it. What makes it so much better?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by roostercrows
Thanks Sous,

OEM for the UVCH harnesses is the way I was going to go from Riffraff. As for the valve cover gaskets, Riffraff carries ones made by Navistar, should I look for another, or is that what you are referring to?
I am running the ELC, but my overflow bottle is cracked and "gunky" so I am concerned about what may be in the system and would like whatever is in there out.
I was going to go with the OEM overflow bottle but had also been leaning toward an aftermarket aluminum one for $138 on ebay. I'm still not sure which one yet. If I do go plastic, how do I go about repairing it if required?
As for the CNC 4way, this is the first I have heard of it. What makes it so much better?
James,

I used this kit when I did my OEM coolant bottle, it's been leak free for over a year now.

Amazon Amazon

BTW, Clay's filtration system was much cheaper than Sinister's.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Im a believer in filtering the coolant. Think, its what makes the WP last. Whether its elc or green, itll still carry the fallout casting. I removed the one out of my l99 and installed in the 02 thinking i was selling the 99. Now, i have another diy on order with flett filter.
If your into diy ideas then the 4-way feed is easy to accomolidh with the manifold from Mcmaster carr. You need link, ill provide it. Then, with using the 2 1/8 openings off fuel bowl, use 90* fittings to feed manifold then the 4 outlets, feed each head port. I mounted the manifold with a plate that was secured to the 4 13mm hole threads, down in the valley..nut'n to it

Old 09-14-2018, 12:18 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
John,
So you used the Bondic on your original bottle and did not purchase new and fix it? Is that right? Thank you for the link.

Tim,
I definitely am for diy, even more so I am for saving money! Please send me the link.
The biggest problem for me is I'm in a pretty rural area and may not have easy access to the fittings and hoses but I will definitely look into it.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
4 outlet

Youll see the threaded holes in valley when you take a gander. The manny has 2 small thru holes to use to bolt it down to plate..fittings are self explain. Eventually ill do the 4way on the C.C....

On website, click the manifold pic. Then just do the 1st rectangular pic manny

Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
John,
So you used the Bondic on your original bottle and did not purchase new and fix it? Is that right? Thank you for the link..
No, I got the new bottle and RE-WELDED the entire seam before installing it. I also fixed the bad one and put it in the shelf.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
https://www.mcmaster.com/manifolds

Think link works

From veggie days

Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Thanks Sous,

My free advice is worth what you pay for it, but sometimes I am good for the advice.

Looks like the other fellas have you squared away for the most part, but I will address some of the other questions.

- Navistar gaskets from RiffRaff can be considered OEM as well, no worries there.
- I have a filter on my ELC coolant system, but I have the filter integrated to the International water pump. Filters are OK on ELC, but not as required as they are on green coolant systems.
- An aluminum coolant bottle would work if you want to go that route. I was just saying to inspect the plastic weld on the OEM bottle to ensure that it looks sound and secure. A lot of times that weld is where they start leaking from. I was lucky and got one that was good from RiffRaff, but will fix it myself if it ever starts leaking from the weld spot.
- The FRx is basically another way of accomplishing a 4 way fuel system on the engine. It is OK, but if/when I go that route I will either make something like Timmy has posted, or go the CNC Fabrication route and get the 4 way fuel system.

Here is the link to CNC Fabrication - https://www.cncfab.us/shop/cnc-sd-7-3brfk/

Old 09-14-2018, 01:14 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
My free advice is worth what you pay for it, but sometimes I am good for the advice.

Looks like the other fellas have you squared away for the most part, but I will address some of the other questions.

- Navistar gaskets from RiffRaff can be considered OEM as well, no worries there.
- I have a filter on my ELC coolant system, but I have the filter integrated to the International water pump. Filters are OK on ELC, but not as required as they are on green coolant systems.
- An aluminum coolant bottle would work if you want to go that route. I was just saying to inspect the plastic weld on the OEM bottle to ensure that it looks sound and secure. A lot of times that weld is where they start leaking from. I was lucky and got one that was good from RiffRaff, but will fix it myself if it ever starts leaking from the weld spot.
- The FRx is basically another way of accomplishing a 4 way fuel system on the engine. It is OK, but if/when I go that route I will either make something like Timmy has posted, or go the CNC Fabrication route and get the 4 way fuel system.

Here is the link to CNC Fabrication - https://www.cncfab.us/shop/cnc-sd-7-3brfk/
Just a heads up, a 4 line feed isn't a regulated return. All the air stuck in your fuel is fed through your injectors just like stock. It was something we tried and was popular 10 years ago and really isn't optimal unless you need huge amounts of fuel for a very large build. The best system for normal build and fuel system is a regulated return or FRx so that you allow a return path for the aerated fuel.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Just a heads up, a 4 line feed isn't a regulated return. All the air stuck in your fuel is fed through your injectors just like stock. It was something we tried and was popular 10 years ago and really isn't optimal unless you need huge amounts of fuel for a very large build. The best system for normal build and fuel system is a regulated return or FRx so that you allow a return path for the aerated fuel.
Well there you go, I learned more than one thing today... Of course is the truck has the H/H mod completed and air removed from the fuel system, then I think the 4 way fuel kit would serve just as well.

Thanks for chiming in sir!

Old 09-14-2018, 01:18 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
if one was successful with the Hutch mod, then where does the aerated fuel come from?

Quick Reply: Home now, with my tail between my legs....