Home now, with my tail between my legs.... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Home now, with my tail between my legs....

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.

So we planned a trip from Ontario, Canada to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. It was supposed to be a 17 day family trip to the east coast pulling our 6500# fifth wheel trailer with my '03 F350 LB, CC. Everything was going excellent all the way there. The truck was running exactly as I expected, pulling strong, decent fuel mileage (11-14). UNTIL... I think it all started with the manifold leak. After about 20 hours of driving I developed a leak at the manifold that was made known by the airy/ farty sound that is common with that kind of leak. Turns out that one of the studs in the manifold broke off. Other than the irritating sound I didn't think it was an issue.

The leak started just as we were getting to Cape Breton Island. During our second day on the Island while ascending the first real mountain of our journey, the transmission temp alarm went off (I have the edge insight with the tranny temp set to alarm at 220F). The temp continued to climb to about 240 until I was able to pull over and let it rest for a bit.
The truck seemed fine after the rest and we continued on with minimal inclines, although the tranny temps seemed to flirt with the hot side of things.

So long story short, the next mountain we came to, North mountain, we started climbing and before we had reached 1/4 of the way the alarm was going off. There was no where to stop, no where to pull over so I had to keep going. The tranny temp reached 247F when the smoke started. The seal had let go and I was loosing fluid. I managed to find a not so steep spot to stop, but there are no shoulders there, just a guard rail and a drop off. My tranny was done.

Fast forward. The torque converter and clutches were done. They replaced the torque converter with a RV specific one and also put a shift kit in as well.

Driving all the way home the truck ran hot. Oil temp was a steady 215F and tranny temp was 195F and with anything more than a little hill the tranny went to 210F+, fuel mileage went to 10 mpg at best. I felt like I was driving a lemon that was ready to die at any point. My truck is not like that, something is wrong but what?

Could the manifold leak wreak this much havoc? Are these temps normal? What is the max tranny and oil temp that should be seen?

I'm home now and have the go ahead / command to buy a new truck, but I don't want to, I like my truck and want to make it back to what it was.
I should be able to pull 2 of my trailers through all of that with no issues.

My thoughts are that the rad is not working right? Do oil coolers fail/ become inefficient?

Thank you for all input and help.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
Well look at the bright side, you made it home. In reality **** happens and a lot of times it happens at the most inopportune time. Your oil temperature at 215 is fine so is your 195 tranny to temperature. I would find out exactly what torque converter they put in and make sure it fits your specific needs of the truck. If your manifold was leaking then your turbo is not working at peak performance either so you weren't producing the boost you needed. I would take a look at both manifolds and just plan on redoing both of them. It's cheaper to fix yours if it's in good shape and a lot easier to work on than the new ones are. Do you have a 6.0 transmission cooler in the truck? Good luck.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Yeah the question about the 6.0 cooler looms large. When the trans torched it sent gobs of clutch material into the cooler. If you have the 6.0 cooler it will never been clean again and never cool as well as it should. Plus the gunk gets recycled back into the new trans. If you have the OE trans cooler it's not so dire, but it doesn't help much anyway at slow speeds. The 6.0 cooler is a stacked plate design with tight tolerances so it will open and flow more as it warms up. These fine passages act like a filter and collect the trans clutch material. The OE cooler for our trucks is a tube and fin that can flow toothpaste no problemo, but doesn't cool as well.

Another possibility is the trans bypass is failing, not allowing trans fluid to flow thru the radiator/cooler. Although I seem to recall these simply fail and your temp skyrockets, not your situation where the temps are just elevated.

So did the trans shop replace the front seal? Check your invoice. The new seals are viton so it won't burp fluid when overheating.

IIRC max sustained trans temp is 225* w/o problems, but at 240* it gets bad fast.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:02 PM
coax9952
Athletic Supporter
coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.
Using the sound you described, I think your intake plenums have given up the ghost. If that's what you're calling "manifolds". If you've got soot showing on the firewall, then your Uppipe donuts are DOA. All will cause your EGT's to skyrocket, and kill your Boost... 250* is considered on the High side for Oil and Tranny, at least short term.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:51 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for your replies.

John, you are right, we made it home safe and sound which is what matters in the end and we managed to have a great time in spite of the break down. As for the 6.0 cooler, I had not upgraded to it yet and is on my list of things to do in the near future.

David, no 6.0 cooler yet so it didn't get gummed up. I will look into the tranny bypass to see if it is flowing properly. They did replace the front seal with a viton one.

Coax, I will look for the soot tomorrow, I probably have the term wrong but I'm kind of relieved that the leak is likely to be causing my heat issues.

That all being said, is there a good place to get 6.0 tranny coolers? Is there a write up on how to do the swap or is it a straight forward switch?
If it is the up pipe donuts and intake plenums is there an "improved" aftermarket version available or is a stock replacement best?

We have plans to do Yellowstone next year and I want to make sure that the truck is ready for it so any other suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:18 PM
sjbj
Junior User
sjbj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oem Ford 31 row transmission coolers are pretty pricey if you purchase new. As an alternative to oem, you might look at the Mishimoto 6.0 cooler. I had the oem 6.0 cooler and recently switched to the Mishimoto cooler which is actually bigger than the oem (37 row I think). I purchased it during one of the holiday discount specials for something around $260 shipped. They usually run a little more than that. I've read good things about it, and the quality seems very good. No complaints with mine, but I haven't had it for very long. They sell ones for the '03-'07 6.0's (MODEL: MMTC-F2D-03SL), and they sell the same cooler for the '99-'03 7.3's (MODEL: MMTC-F2D-99SL which comes with 1/2" hose which you will need to convert from 3/8" line to 6.0" line on the 6.0). Can easily purchase the hose separate for the conversion. Maybe find the best deal on either version you can find.

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-7-3l-...ler-99-03.html

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-powerstroke-transmission-cooler-03-07.html?fee=1&fep=11138&gclid=CjwKCAjw7vraBRBbEiwA 4WBOnx04I74rWV8Qu-yBTMW5EHNz4D3fjogs9joTDRXv6d3kvp6G3RgoYBoCyt4QAvD_ BwE

Here is one write up on doing the 6.0 cooler install..... http://www.dieselstorm.com/docs/tran...de_install.pdf

Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by roostercrows View Post
Thanks for your replies.

John, you are right, we made it home safe and sound which is what matters in the end and we managed to have a great time in spite of the break down. As for the 6.0 cooler, I had not upgraded to it yet and is on my list of things to do in the near future.

David, no 6.0 cooler yet so it didn't get gummed up. I will look into the tranny bypass to see if it is flowing properly. They did replace the front seal with a viton one.

Coax, I will look for the soot tomorrow, I probably have the term wrong but I'm kind of relieved that the leak is likely to be causing my heat issues.

That all being said, is there a good place to get 6.0 tranny coolers? Is there a write up on how to do the swap or is it a straight forward switch?
If it is the up pipe donuts and intake plenums is there an "improved" aftermarket version available or is a stock replacement best?

We have plans to do Yellowstone next year and I want to make sure that the truck is ready for it so any other suggestions for improvements are welcome.

James,

I’ve been running a Dorman cooler for almost 2 years without issue $125ish. The 6.0l cooler simply replacing your stock cooler, the only “issue” is our trucks have 3/8” lines, the 6.0 has 1/2”, so you’re going to need hose barbs 3/8 to 1/2”. What gauges do you currently have installed? I installed an inline Magnefine filter when I did the switch to the 6.0 cooler, 6 months later it saved my new cooler.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Silverhks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Several companies make billet intake plenums. THESE are an example.

Word is that replacing the up pipe donuts is just a temporary fix. The permanent fix is bellowed up pipes like THESE.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:29 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I've talked to a lot of owners of newer diesels from the big 3, and they all agree on one thing - the new diesels are money pits.

When my dead OEM transmission was replaced with a HD4R100, they would not honor the warranty on the new one unless the transmission cooler was replaced with it.

Some OBDII readings and some rudimentary tests will find the root cause of the issues in your engine - no need for a shop there. I'm curious about EGTs, but there is no mention of this yet - so I assume that gauge has not been installed.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
sjbj, thanks for the links. I will be going with the Mishimoto cooler, it looks awesome.

John, I have the Edge Insight digital gauges to monitor the trucks vitals and I will be installing a coolant filter and an oil bypass filter in this round of mods as well.

Silverhs, thank you for the info and link, I will be going with the permanent fix if the up pipes are the issue.

Rich, thank you for your attention. I do have and EGT probe but in all the excitement of the tranny overheating I didn't look at the EGT temps. When the temp alarm started going off for the tranny, its all that I paid attention to, hoping that it would go back down. I can say that since the exhaust has started leaking the EGTs have been elevated and the whole trip home I had to be real careful to be able to keep below 1250*. Yesterday I saw 1370* on my way home when I was trying out the new tranny without a trailer.
Mind if I ask what kind of warranty came with your new transmission?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 PM
sjbj
Junior User
sjbj, thanks for the links. I will be going with the Mishimoto cooler, it looks awesome.

John, I have the Edge Insight digital gauges to monitor the trucks vitals and I will be installing a coolant filter and an oil bypass filter in this round of mods as well.

Silverhs, thank you for the info and link, I will be going with the permanent fix if the up pipes are the issue.

Rich, thank you for your attention. I do have and EGT probe but in all the excitement of the tranny overheating I didn't look at the EGT temps. When the temp alarm started going off for the tranny, its all that I paid attention to, hoping that it would go back down. I can say that since the exhaust has started leaking the EGTs have been elevated and the whole trip home I had to be real careful to be able to keep below 1250*. Yesterday I saw 1370* on my way home when I was trying out the new tranny without a trailer.
Mind if I ask what kind of warranty came with your new transmission?
When I switched over to the Mishimoto cooler, I installed an inline filter using Woodnthings design which he has a nice write-up you will find here....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ion-fluid.html. While I was at it, I added the oil bypass filter as well from him.

I've read online that some will recommend adding the inline transmission filter (whether it be the spin on like Woodnthings or the Magnefine filter), while supposedly some of the top transmission builders (like BTS) do not recommend. Only what I've read, but not sure how true. In addition, another transmission mod/upgrade I read about was people going with a newer style pan and filter from the 2008 and newer trucks that has an actual media style filter and not just the rock catcher screen that is in our trucks (videos show for 6.0, but I believe our 7.3's have the same rock catcher screen filter but I could be wrong / I didn't look really close when I switched over my filter/pan). Some example videos here....
. I had already went with a deep aluminum pan which comes with the same upgraded media filter that was in the videos I posted here. I didn't come across those videos until after I had already purchased my deep pan following my transmission rebuild. I would have gone with the pan in the videos if I would have known since it is a lot cheaper than what I ended up with. Just some food for thought for you if you are going to do the 6.0 transmission cooler install. Some more ideas for you on how to spend more money....LOL

Old 07-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sjbj View Post
When I switched over to the Mishimoto cooler, I installed an inline filter using Woodnthings design which he has a nice write-up you will find here....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ion-fluid.html. While I was at it, I added the oil bypass filter as well from him.

I've read online that some will recommend adding the inline transmission filter (whether it be the spin on like Woodnthings or the Magnefine filter), while supposedly some of the top transmission builders (like BTS) do not recommend. Only what I've read, but not sure how true. In addition, another transmission mod/upgrade I read about was people going with a newer style pan and filter from the 2008 and newer trucks that has an actual media style filter and not just the rock catcher screen that is in our trucks. Some example videos here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_sMjGBgQ90. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8xa7kRcvg&t=5s. I had already went with a deep aluminum pan which comes with the same upgraded media filter that was in the videos I posted here. I didn't come across those videos until after I had already purchased my pan after adding after transmission rebuild. I would have gone with the pan in the videos if I would have known since it is a lot cheaper than what I ended up with. Just some food for thought for you if you are going to do the 6.0 transmission cooler install. Some more ideas for you to spend money....LOL
Reps sent your way for being very thorough and helpful. This is the sort of thing that makes FTE a great place to be.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 PM
sjbj
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Reps sent your way for being very thorough and helpful. This is the sort of thing that makes FTE a great place to be.
Any way I can pay it forward since it is forums like this and good people from these forums that help me with a lot of things....

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
So I had some time to check exactly where the leak was coming from. It is the manifold, right above where I have the EGT sensor installed. A stud has broken off...sounds like fun.
Is the manifold something that can be upgraded or just reuse the the stock one?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
...Mind if I ask what kind of warranty came with your new transmission?
3-year 100,000 mile warranty from Ford. Torque converter was nothing special, but I use the "enhanced" coast clutch a lot with engine braking, and the valve body is way better. I have a stock transmission cooler and custom tuning, yet everything stays in check - even while towing heavy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home now, with my tail between my legs....

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.