1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Put in hot air choke on my 1972 f100 now there smoke coming from the tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Bdboe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put in hot air choke on my 1972 f100 now there smoke coming from the tailpipe

I put on a hot air choke on my 1972 ford f100 now snome is coming from the tailpipe what do i do or what did i do wrong or is this normal

Old 07-28-2018, 06:49 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If black smoke is coming from the tailpipe now, that indicates a very rich mixture. See if you're choke plate is mostly or partially closed. It should be closed with a dead cold engine and completely open once the engine warms up. The choke thermostats are adjustable. Maybe yours is wound a little tight. Also there is a vacuum port that is supposed to draw air in from the heat stove. There is lots more information regarding choke operation but I'd suggest an internet search. Post some photos of your setup, that will help.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,125 Likes on 1,809 Posts
As I said in your other post about the hot air choke would like to see pictures of your setup.

You did not say what color the smoke is and I cant see hooking up hot air would cause it to smoke but ?
Dave ----

Old 07-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Bdboe
New User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
As I said in your other post about the hot air choke would like to see pictures of your setup.

You did not say what color the smoke is and I cant see hooking up hot air would cause it to smoke but ?
Dave ----
it is white smoke

Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Bdboe

it is white smoke
How long does the smoke last?
Did the motor stop smoking when it got up to temp or keeps smoking?
Does it have a sweet smell?
I just cant picture how hooking up a choke can cause this.
Speaking of picture can you post some of what you hooked up?
Dave ----

Old 07-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Bdboe
New User
How long does the smoke last?
Did the motor stop smoking when it got up to temp or keeps smoking?
Does it have a sweet smell?
I just cant picture how hooking up a choke can cause this.
Speaking of picture can you post some of what you hooked up?
Dave ----
i will when i get home from work and i turned the truck off as soon as i saw kinda large cloud of white smoke i dont know what it smells like since inside the car it sucks in exhaust from where the guy converted it to a 3 on the floor and cut the tail pipe right where it startsand i put it back how the guy had it when i bought it with the two ports one where the hot air choke gets a line and one that was under the carburetor next to another line that i think is the exhaust manifold. Do you think its just burning oil or left over gas and let me also add i do not have a airfilter or the part to hold the air filter could that be the problem

Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have whit smoke then that indicates coolant is getting into the combustion chambers.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Bdboe
New User
Ok so if its coolant is geting in the combustion chambers is that a problem or is it normal bit also it didint do the white smoke tell i connected a hose that started from under the carburetor on the exhaust Manifold i think to the hot air choke. The guy before me wasent to knowable about it and he just tied the choke plate open with a wire then got a cut them then put screws in the on the to ports i mentioned early. So i dont see how it could get in there. Now i dont know if it is im not knowable on this yet since its my first project car and iv only had it for a week

Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Bdboe
New User

The fisrt pic is of the engine then the second one is of how i got it then the third is what i did to make it smoke

Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Bdboe
New User
Originally Posted by Bdboe

i will when i get home from work and i turned the truck off as soon as i saw kinda large cloud of white smoke i dont know what it smells like since inside the car it sucks in exhaust from where the guy converted it to a 3 on the floor and cut the tail pipe right where it startsand i put it back how the guy had it when i bought it with the two ports one where the hot air choke gets a line and one that was under the carburetor next to another line that i think is the exhaust manifold. Do you think its just burning oil or left over gas and let me also add i do not have a airfilter or the part to hold the air filter could that be the problem
I uploaded the pics

Old 07-29-2018, 09:09 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are just seeing not just seeing exhaust system condensation when startup when all engine are cold.??
If you have coolant being sucked into a cylinder you may also see whitey looking oil in valve cover or oil cap.
If white smoke the I'd remove all spark plugs an check for any oil fouled one an wet threads..

Orich

Old 07-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Bdboe
New User
There is only white smoke when I connected the tube in the 3rd picture

Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ok I see the pictures but I cant tell where / what 2ofthe hoses are for.
One is that hose you hooked up to the intake can you get a picture of the other end, carb end so I can see just where it hooks to on the carb.

Same with the hose on the other side of the carb from that hose. This is the hose going over the valve cover and has the insulation sleeve, where does the other end go to? I see it is hooked to the carb (better picture of this end) but where does it go from there? picture?

I would say with out pictures, it has nothing to do with the choke hot air.
With that said I would put it back like it was in picture #2 till you / we can figure where them hoses go.
Dave ----

edit: what is with that green wire wrapped around the choke housing? Maybe a picture of that to show why it is there?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Bdboe
New User
Ok I see the pictures but I cant tell where / what 2ofthe hoses are for.
One is that hose you hooked up to the intake can you get a picture of the other end, carb end so I can see just where it hooks to on the carb.

Same with the hose on the other side of the carb from that hose. This is the hose going over the valve cover and has the insulation sleeve, where does the other end go to? I see it is hooked to the carb (better picture of this end) but where does it go from there? picture?

I would say with out pictures, it has nothing to do with the choke hot air.
With that said I would put it back like it was in picture #2 till you / we can figure where them hoses go.
Dave ----

edit: what is with that green wire wrapped around the choke housing? Maybe a picture of that to show why it is there?
ill take pictures tomorrow and the green wire is holding the choke open when i have the hoses i take it off thats how the guy had it when i got it

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ok when you get the pictures I hope I can see what is going on to help you more.
But if you are going to run the motor more I would change the hoses back before it started to smoke.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: Put in hot air choke on my 1972 f100 now there smoke coming from the tailpipe