1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

5r55e transmission drain plug.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
5r55e transmission drain plug.

I needed to change my tranny fluid and the stupid thermistor wouldn’t let me do a pump out and replace. So I ordered the Dorman 265-831 4wd Pan with drain plug. Mine is a 2002 2wd.. I bought a 4wd filter. Dropped the pan replaced filter and installed the new pan. I probably had to add an additional 1/2 to 1 qt more fluid then I took out. Now In a couple of days I will drop the fluid again. Maybe do it a third time. So I will get the bulk of the fluid changed. I have always been a little leery of Dorman products but this pan was well built. And fit very well. The other thing I found was there wasn’t a reusable pan gasket. Maybe it had been serviced before don’t know.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
What thermistor where, wouldn't let you perform a pan pump-out by loosening the tranny return line & idling the engine????

Old 07-28-2018, 01:10 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pawpaw it’s my understanding that 5r55e transmissions have a thermostat that doesn’t allow fluid to the cooler unless it is above 150 degrees. I got delayed waiting on a helper to start and run engine while I monitored the fluid flow. Never got it to do more then spit at me. I even took the return line off the the air to air cooler on both sides no go. Lines come out of tranny run to the top of the radiator out the bottom of radiator over to a flat plate air to air cooler then back to transmission. Tranny works fine shows no sign of over heating. Old fluid was just a touch dark but no burnt smell.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:44 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
That's how my 99 5R55E tranny is plumbed, but I've never had a problem with it flowing out the disconnected tranny return line disconnect at the cooler output side.
With the return line disconnected at the output side of the cooler, I idle the engine & let the pump all but empty the pan, before a pan drop, as it's way less tipsy or messy, as the pump all but empties the pan. Just watch it closely so when the flow slows, or we see air bubbles in the flow, turn the engine off without delay, so as not to run the tranny pump dry, as it wouldn't likely take kindly to that.
Anyway my 99 5R55E with the factory tube & fin in line cooler plumbed in by the factory Tow Package, never has restricted flow through its plumbing & I usually do the pump-out after its cooled some but not fully cooled off, probably around 125-150 Deg F. After the pan drop, cleaning it & the magnet, changing the filter & refilling the pan, I continue the pump-out by idling the engine for 30 seconds at a time with the return line Disconnected & routed into my catch container, to pump-out 2 qts at a time, to flush the valve body, torque converter, cooler & lines, so as not to mix the old & new fluid. Mixing the old fluid with new depletes the new fluid ad pack, so it'll need to be changed sooner next time.When I pour in the last 2 qts to = the published capacity, I'm finished & the tranny has all new fluid.
If its been a while, or the fluid looks a little tired, I might run an extra qt or two through it to allow for some mixing in the torque converter.
Most of the bypass coolers have small orifices that restrict cold vicious tranny fluid from entering the cooler when it doesn't need heat removal, so most cold fluid will naturally bypass the cooler.
After the fluid is hot & thinner, more of it will naturally flow through the cooler to give up its excess heat, so they have what we could think of as a natural bypass design that doesn't have any moving parts to fail.
BUT, if the tranny, or fluid has been neglected, or the tranny fails & has lots of trash in it, some of those orifices could get plugged & the cooler would loose some cooling ability, or release trash over time that could cause mischief..
I suppose that's why Ford has a cooler back flush procedure & installs a return line, inline tranny filter on reworked trannies.

EDIT: I'm using Fel-Pro re-useable tranny pan gaskets on the 99 Ranger, 94 Taurus & the wifes 2000 Dodge Neon. They've held up well for more than 10 years now, so I feel comfortable in recommending them for consideration if your of a mind to try a re-useable tranny pan gasket.