Sponsored by:

02 7.3L - Recommendation for alternator and batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM
beeper212
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 7.3L - Recommendation for alternator and batteries

I'm the original owner of a 2002 Excursion 7.3L Diesel. I absolutely love this truck!

For the past couple of months my voltage has been dropping and I've been getting by charging the batteries in the garage.

Took my Ex into the shop and they are telling me that I have a bad alternator and two bad batteries.

What would you recommend as a good replacement / upgrade for my alternator and batteries?

Thanks for the help!

Beeper

Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
A great replacement is motorcraft batteries and alternator, seriously they are better then 95% of the aftermarket junk available.

if you really do need an alternator with higher output there are 2 that stand out.
the Lecce Neville unit that you will find in heavy equipment and mission critical applications like ambulances,fire and police vehicles.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/leece-n...-avi160t2002-2

and the Mitsubishi units that your off road race teams seem to gravate towards
https://store.alternatorparts.com/pa...erno12075.aspx

battery wise again the motorcraft are tops without going to a high dollar speciality like an Oddessy . The Wal-mart batteries deserve a nod because they are good quality but mostly because of the no hassle replacement avaialbe nationwide.

All the lead acid batteries on the market are really just various degrees of built quality with the motorcrafts being at the top of the chart.

AGM batteries on the other hand are a better design and Oddessy makes the best quality on the market ( as do others but most are geared towards industrial or Marine )
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/65-pc1750t

Old 07-14-2018, 06:23 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
If you need a high output alternator then you are also going to need to upgrade your alternator and battery wiring.
3. Upgrade your alternator wiring.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My '02 Ex 7.3L 4x4 Limited has 215k and I bought with 99k, 8 years ago. In that 115k miles, Ive gone through 3 alternators. In general, diesels are hard on alternators because they have to charge two batteries, (or so I was told, Im pretty ignorant when it comes to electronicals) The first one was a NAPA, it lasted about 40k miles, then replaced it with an Autozone. That lasted about 40k, and I just replaced it with another AZ. Lifetime warranty though so it was free and I swapped it out in the Autozone parking lot in about 5 minutes. Im not at all mad about it though, considering that is LITERALLY the ONLY thing I have had to replace on this truck in 8 years and 115k miles of ownership. Other than brakes, tires, oil, filters, fuel, coolant/tranny/PS fluid flushes. Love this truck and get compliments and offers to buy it weekly!

I wouldn't mind a higher output alternator, but I dont want the hassle of any sort wiring upgrade.

EDIT: I forgot, the foot of my fuel pickup broke off, I assume, so I can only use the top half of my fuel tank, and I haven't fixed that yet. So thats something outside of normal maintenance that has to be addressed

Last edited by Studawg; 07-16-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM
beeper212
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
If you need a high output alternator then you are also going to need to upgrade your alternator and battery wiring.
3. Upgrade your alternator wiring.
Awesome! Thank you so much and especially for including the wire upgrade kit.

I love my truck as well! 17 years of faithful service!

Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM
XS-SUV
Freshman User
Ok, here's my alternator/ battery story;
Bought my 7.3 Y2K-X new, and had to replace the MotorCraft batteries in 2002, with Sam's Club batteries...
And, guess what....Went back to Sam's Club again, and again to replace their batteries under warranty for >>""Free of Charge"" << in 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012, and finally again the last time in 2015....
I anted up, paid the extra money and purchased Sam's club size 65 AGM Batteries for $170/ea
[here]
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-g...ubNAME=VigLink

In 2009, Sams club claimed my alternator wasn't functioning properly so I took their suggestion and purchased this alternator here;
https://alternatorparts.com/6g-serie...lternator.html
Well, 2 more times the batteries went out, under warranty...
NOTE WELL; The alternator I purchased was a "" LARGE FRAME"" size 6G alternator used on the older powerstrokes, and there is a slight modification you have to make...
It's been 9 yrs & 100K/mi. on this alternator & it has performed with no problems..
Suggest you get the 140 Amp, model @ $239.00 so you don't have to do any wiring modifications

Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
For sure you need the group 65 batteries to start the 7.3., the draw would kill smaller batteries fairly quick.
Fwiw the motorcrafts have a 5 year warranty. ( 3 year free +2 prorated )
I had one go out at 4 years and the prorated charge was $50 bucks

Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a Rural King around you, they have great deals on Rural king branded AGM batteries. I am pretty sure they are Excide batteries. I replaced mine 4 years ago with the AGM and no issues since. Crap. Knock on wood!

Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
if you really do need an alternator with higher output there are 2 that stand out.
the Lecce Neville unit that you will find in heavy equipment and mission critical applications like ambulances,fire and police vehicles.
I've purchased from Xtreme Diesel myself in the past and while I wouldn't hesitate to ever buy from them again, for a Leece-Neville unit I'd rather purchase from FICM Repair. Alternators & Alternator Wiring & Starters

Ed at @FICMrepair.com is a supporting vendor here at FTE and an active user who has helped others for many years here at FTE.

Stewart

Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I've purchased from Xtreme Diesel myself in the past and while I wouldn't hesitate to ever buy from them again, for a Leece-Neville unit I'd rather purchase from FICM Repair. Alternators & Alternator Wiring & Starters

Ed at @FICMrepair.com is a supporting vendor here at FTE and an active user who has helped others for many years here at FTE.

Stewart
how did I not know he had those ? Lolz at me. I even linked to his wiring kits.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
how did I not know he had those ? Lolz at me. I even linked to his wiring kits.

Stewart

Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
XS Power batteries. not cheap.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Toynut
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
When my alternator went bad I replaced it with one from 2005 6.0. The 7.3's have a small body alternator and the 6.0's have a large body which helps with cooling and able to get higher output. Electrical is direct plug and play but you have to clock the rear housing which is easy and shim the alternator body up with 2 washers or sand the mount for clearance. Might sound like a lot but you get a factory alternator with higher amps and the more reliable large body alternator.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DB alternator, upgraded my wiring and 2 red tops...Been like that for several years not a single issue. But now that I typed it they will go out tomorrow!!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's my story: I went through about 5 "lifetime warranty" alternators from all of the big stores NAPA, Autozone etc. I got tired of my wife calling needing help. So I said **** on it and forked over the money for a DC Power alternator. Worth every penny. I still have my last reman in a box just in case. I'm running into the same issue with those "lifetime warranty" made in China reman (on my 4th in 4 years) and am about ready to fork the $ for a high end real American made starter. We are in the back country and can't risk it where we live.

Quick Reply: 02 7.3L - Recommendation for alternator and batteries