Diagnosing Engine Knock - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Diagnosing Engine Knock

Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Rick Ammons
New User
Rick Ammons is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diagnosing Engine Knock

I have what appears to be a lower end knock on my '05 F250 6.8L and have been told I can rule out rod knock by disconnecting each plug to determine which cylinder has the knock. Is it better to pull the connector from the coil pack or disconnect each injector instead? Trying to rule out rod knock before moving on to flex plate.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
fordmerc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Disconnect injector.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:19 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
as stated,,, Disconnect injector. but the rod knock may not stop .. but the "TONE" of the knock will change...

doing the spark plug wire... can cause flash over... and damage electronic stuff.. ( MAYBE )

best way is to remove the oil pan.. and each rod cap. ( one at a time )

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.