2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Steering Wheel Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Ryno1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Upgrade

I have a 2017 F250 XLT and am looking to do the plastic to leather steering wheel upgrade. I have looked at all the YouTube videos and of course it looks easy but I'm having a hard time removing the airbag. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to hit the release pins on the thing. Has anyone else had this problem and/or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2018, 12:00 AM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I remember correctly, I stuck a small but long allen wrench in the hole from drivers side straight towards the passenger side and the drivers side popped out a little, then hole in passenger side straight towards drivers side door and it popped right out. I watched several videos, (moostang09 ) sticks in my head. You don't have to be forceful. Watch his video, very helpful. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Wrench_it
Junior User
I use a pocket screwdriver. Make the slotted tip horizontal and go in straight, you'll hit it easily. Put it in slow. Close your eyes when you hit the clip she'll pop. You'll see it.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Ryno1
Freshman User
Thanks! I’ll try it again. My first few attempts I used a long flathead and it felt like I hit real soft plastic or rubber and would dig into it. Almost like the sidewall of a tire. I feel like I’m trying to pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded, drunk and one-legged.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:33 AM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
Haha, too funny. I spent about 5 minutes the first attempt to pop the air bag out. I was being super cautious. (This little video in my head showing me listening for it to click release and then whoomp----I wake up on the ground beside the truck red faced and wife standing there saying you just had to fool with the new truck). Took a break.
2nd attempt, 15-20 minutes start to finish. Wife likes it too. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM
disker
Senior User
Yeah --the video said a 4mm allen wrench ---that did not work for me. I found a slightly smaller rod (long) and ground a small point on it --that did the trick. But on my truck you had to kind of wiggle the air bag while making sure the latches had been pushed open. A bit harder than the video shows --at least on my truck. But worth the effort!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM
jonathanjr1
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Use a 3mm Allen the videos say 4mm but it slightly too big.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Ryno1
Freshman User
Thanks to everyone for the tips! I haven't had a chance to go back at it but I appreciate the assistance.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
Keep us posted. You may find a way to make it a little easier. A little tip may make the next person more willing to try with less frustration. Been there for sure. This is why I joined this site. Many are very eager to share what worked and what didnt. The only dumb question is the one that does not get asked. Good luck. This conversion was worth the time to me.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Taking the airbag out was definitely the hardest part of the job for me. I was taking my time, fearful of breaking something or messing up the air bag. Be sure to pull on the center piece covering the airbag pretty hard on the side you are poking to feel for any give, as in my case - I didn't really ever notice the side I was working on "pop" out - it just starts to give when pulling on the side you're working on when you are engaging the internal clip release. You definitely still have to man handle it off. I ended up having success with some wooden BBQ skewers.

Another thing nobody says anything about, when you go to put the new wheel on, you probably aren't going to get it on 100% the same alignment as the old one. I was surprised there is a bit of "play" left or right before you tighten down the big bolt. I ended up with a steering wheel that was slightly cocked to the side when driving straight.

You can loosen the bolt back up and try to straighten it back out, I tried this once and got it closer to perfectly centered, but still was slightly off. Had I not already had an appointment to have my leveling kit installed a few days later I would have climbed under the truck and made the proper steering wheel center adjustment. I'm sure slightly off-center doesn't bother some, but I notice the slightest bit of off-center alignment and it drives me insane.

I agree with the others that this upgrade is indeed worth the time and money. I am happy to have my leather wrapped wheel every day I drive the truck.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 AM
amorrow02
Freshman User
Also, keep in mind you may not hear or feel a very noticeable click when releasing each tab. I didn't, yet the airbag (still fairly snug in the wheel) was able to be wiggled out after I used a 3mm key to release them as the videos show.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
From when I did mine:

As an FYI on the steering wheel replacement so this info is out there. The steering wheel bolt torque is 52 ft lbs. I watched the video that has been posted here and its pretty accurate but there is one issue I found and it had me bogged down for about five minutes. Popping off the air bag/center section is super simple IF you use the right size pin/allen wrench, if you don't you will be cussing. The hole in the steering wheel is large and I did use a smaller allen wrench, but what you cant see is there is a guide/funnel built into the air bag/center section and that hole is tiny. I ended up using a small round file to get mine to release. The way to check yourself is to go to the new wheel and check your depth from the hole on the outside to where the metal catch is, if your not going that deep on your existing wheel, your push pin is too big. It takes very little effort to release the spring, so don't force things, if you are, this is probably the problem. The new wheel is a definite improvement, much smaller grip and feel, not to mention it looks alot better

Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
Excellent observation and helpful tip. That will help to make a quick, fun project a little smoother without the extra words. Haha

Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Ryno1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brandon606
From when I did mine:

As an FYI on the steering wheel replacement so this info is out there. The steering wheel bolt torque is 52 ft lbs. I watched the video that has been posted here and its pretty accurate but there is one issue I found and it had me bogged down for about five minutes. Popping off the air bag/center section is super simple IF you use the right size pin/allen wrench, if you don't you will be cussing. The hole in the steering wheel is large and I did use a smaller allen wrench, but what you cant see is there is a guide/funnel built into the air bag/center section and that hole is tiny. I ended up using a small round file to get mine to release. The way to check yourself is to go to the new wheel and check your depth from the hole on the outside to where the metal catch is, if your not going that deep on your existing wheel, your push pin is too big. It takes very little effort to release the spring, so don't force things, if you are, this is probably the problem. The new wheel is a definite improvement, much smaller grip and feel, not to mention it looks alot better

Spot on right here! I finally switched to the 3mm allen and I FINALLY did it. It was the fact I was using a screwdriver rather than a dull object that messed me up. I didn't realize from the videos there was a funnel that guides you to the pin. Here are some pics and you'll see where I was missing and hitting plastic. Once I hit the right spot, it was a cake walk. I wish I could say that was the first time I've said that, but hey... Thank you guys again for all the help! Love the leather!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM
chipssuperduty
Junior User
Congrats on mission accomplished. Scratch that off the list a circle the next mod and start gathering parts. You will find that will be routine as long as you keep visiting this forum. Haha. Hello skinny wallet.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Upgrade