Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

4x4 Transmission in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:49 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4x4 Transmission in 2wd

Still waying my options on Transmission. One of the local PnP has an 89 4x4 manual 7.3.If it is still there I can get the tranny and transfer case shifters, pedals for around 300. Could I put this in my truck and just leave the t case in 2 high?

Old 06-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Yes, you could.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:36 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could also use the low range anytime your towing heavy off road, on rough ground sometimes first is too fast..

Then later if you ever find a dana 60 you already have the 4x4 transmission which is the hardest thing to find when your looking for it

Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
You could also use the low range anytime your towing heavy off road, on rough ground sometimes first is too fast..

Then later if you ever find a dana 60 you already have the 4x4 transmission which is the hardest thing to find when your looking for it
it may still have the front axle, can not remember .

I thought converting a 90 2wd to 4wd was a pain in the butt

Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hturner12
I thought converting a 90 2wd to 4wd was a pain in the butt
I am under the same impression. Lots of drilling and punching out rivets from what I’ve read. I’ve tossed around the idea of converting mine for the last 2 years but keep on going back to sticking with 2wd as I won’t really use 4x4.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:08 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jmuenchow

I am under the same impression. Lots of drilling and punching out rivets from what I’ve read. I’ve tossed around the idea of converting mine for the last 2 years but keep on going back to sticking with 2wd as I won’t really use 4x4.
More work than I want to put into it, like you don't have a real need for it. I have used the 4wd on the Jeep maybe 10 times in 5 years and that was going up the future driveway, but that will be resolved in a couple if months when the grading contractor cuts the hill down for th3 driveway.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Grab the drive shaft too if they haven't munched it with the forklift. Probably have though.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
I'm sure anything is a pain if you make it that way. I'm not sure if the truck your looking at has the straight axle or the ttb. A lot of people don't like the ttb but it definitely rides smoother being independent and as long as you don't baja it with oversize tires it won't give you any trouble. Mine hasn't

I was just kicking the idea around if you were toying with the idea, it is quite a bit of work, but it pays for itself in one use, these trucks really bite with the heavy motor hanging over the front end. As long as there's a bottom it'll pull you through, if there isn't well then you shouldn't be driving there anyway is the way I see it.

Most people don't seem to mind the axle part, but shy away when the only 4x4 zf's they can find are 750+ and a lot of times that doesn't include the transfer case.

There were two different transfer cases used, the 1345 was the earlier one with a fixed rear yoke, the 1356 being the latter one used a slip yoke on the rear shaft. I prefer the fixed yoke, but then your driveshaft is two halves that slide and that can wear out if you tow alot. Although I've never changed ones. Mainly front driveshafts that have stripped out where they slide together.

If you don't really ever need it, the benefit of a lot smoother ride being 2wd would be enough for me. But I use 4wd at least once a month, if it rains that is

Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
That the thing I dont use 4x4 that much. The only time I used it on the Jeep was to go up an down the hill where the driveway will go vs using my neighbors driveway. I was working on that part and hit a rock vein, so I got to get someone with bigger equipment to finish that. Plus the Mazda is 4x4. When I was younger maybe.
I may just go with a T18/19.
I helped a friend pull a tranny out of a Mustang for his 78 . Got it from the same yard they drilled a hole in the pan to drain fluid, all their gas tanks are drilled. I hope they did not do that to this tranny and transfer case.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
I would think if anything had holes it would be the pto covers which would be easily replaceable.

Personally I love my t19 and how easy it goes between gears without ever touching the clutch, but I rarely ever drive over 55. If you spend a lot of time at higher speeds the lack of od would knock some miles off your fuel economy.

Just be sure to look closely at the forward bellhousing for cracks. It's pretty common. T18 doesn't have a synchronized first gear. Gasser t19 would probably be better as well because the diesel one has a really tall first gear, especially with 3.55 gears in my truck

Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
I would think if anything had holes it would be the pto covers which would be easily replaceable.

Personally I love my t19 and how easy it goes between gears without ever touching the clutch, but I rarely ever drive over 55. If you spend a lot of time at higher speeds the lack of od would knock some miles off your fuel economy.

Just be sure to look closely at the forward bellhousing for cracks. It's pretty common. T18 doesn't have a synchronized first gear. Gasser t19 would probably be better as well because the diesel one has a really tall first gear, especially with 3.55 gears in my truck
No high speed about 60 max. Thanks for the tip about the bellhousing

Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Vegetable0
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hturner12
Still waying my options on Transmission. One of the local PnP has an 89 4x4 manual 7.3.If it is still there I can get the tranny and transfer case shifters, pedals for around 300. Could I put this in my truck and just leave the t case in 2 high?
Hello, and the answer is Yes... and No. There are difference between the 4x4s and the 4x2s. To name one, the Transmission Cross-Member is actually different. It will have a dip for the front drive shaft, and also only mount to one side. The location of the mount for the Transmission will also be in a slightly different place. Since the adapter is much shorter than the Tail Housing of a 4x2. Can you make the holes to make it all work? Of course you can. I made my 1985 go from 4x2 to 4x4 in about 40 hours (one good week). So anything can be done. However, it will not be as simple as just bolting up and ignoring the front bits. There will be some customization, minimal for just ignoring the front axle. But there will still be some. Also your Drive Shaft will get shorter, at least a few inches.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Vegetable0
Hello, and the answer is Yes... and No. There are difference between the 4x4s and the 4x2s. To name one, the Transmission Cross-Member is actually different. It will have a dip for the front drive shaft, and also only mount to one side. The location of the mount for the Transmission will also be in a slightly different place. Since the adapter is much shorter than the Tail Housing of a 4x2. Can you make the holes to make it all work? Of course you can. I made my 1985 go from 4x2 to 4x4 in about 40 hours (one good week). So anything can be done. However, it will not be as simple as just bolting up and ignoring the front bits. There will be some customization, minimal for just ignoring the front axle. But there will still be some. Also your Drive Shaft will get shorter, at least a few inches.
Thank you all the options are going to require work. It will just stay parked for now.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
If you get the 4x4 cross-member and the dog eared tabs that go with it you won't have to drill any holes.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:27 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Grab the drive shaft too if they haven't munched it with the forklift. Probably have though.
I will grab it and the driveshaft

Quick Reply: 4x4 Transmission in 2wd