2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Readylift 2.5" Spacer or Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To the OP, you do not have any specs listed for your truck so, I'll just add this. Not all stock front ends sit at the same height. If you have the HD spring option without a heavy bumper or the snow plow option then you already have a ~1 or 1.25 lift. If this is the case a 2.5" spring may not net you but 1" of height. You may spend $350 for springs and still have to use a 1" spacer to get where you want to be.

This is what I hate about aftermarket springs and the terminology that they use. The factory uses many different rated springs to achieve the ride, ride height, and whatever rating your truck has on a regular cab, extended, or crew cab, on diesel and gas trucks. And all of a sudden one spring gives you 2.5" of height for every truck???? Anyway buyer beware and know what you have to begin with.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:10 PM
mrmag00
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I just used the spacer on the last 2 trucks , I got the HD factory spring option on both and don’t mind the ride. I was told I wouldn’t need the track bar bracket or track bar.and truck drives fine. Just one persons opinion.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sterling_47ag
Couldn't agree more with Tricon. I'll be going the 2.5 route and hope I have a little rake left as I tow often.
Diddo... Facotory coils are... hmm factory. They fit the bill for most pavement pounders. But for those who WANT a smoother, more stable ride, you can’t go wrong with Carli coils. In my 2011 SD, it was like my truck was more poised and drove like a sports car when I chucked the factory coils for Carli. Sure, for most, they’re pleased with the ride quality with factory coils and spacers. The only “suspension” improvement you’ll gain is from your shocks if you get new ones. When you add the 2.5” coils (like Carli) you get the added benefit of more “wraps” of the coil. Not only do they provide lift, think of the additional coil as more cushion. The spring rate is heavier than the factory coil, but not as stiff as snow plow prepped trucks. Combine their coils with new shocks and you have IMO, the best ride you can get from these 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

If you know someone who has coils, ask for a ride. Compare the difference and see what you’re missing.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
To the OP, you do not have any specs listed for your truck so, I'll just add this. Not all stock front ends sit at the same height. If you have the HD spring option without a heavy bumper or the snow plow option then you already have a ~1 or 1.25 lift. If this is the case a 2.5" spring may not net you but 1" of height. You may spend $350 for springs and still have to use a 1" spacer to get where you want to be.

This is what I hate about aftermarket springs and the terminology that they use. The factory uses many different rated springs to achieve the ride, ride height, and whatever rating your truck has on a regular cab, extended, or crew cab, on diesel and gas trucks. And all of a sudden one spring gives you 2.5" of height for every truck???? Anyway buyer beware and know what you have to begin with.
You make a good point, I think the vast majority of trucks are going to be very similar height, the snow plow prep will sit on average about 1" higher...unless of course you put a plow on lol.

The Carli coil will give you a better ride, and give you some lift. If you are trying to dial in an exact height then something like the OUO adjustable coils will let you dial in the exact height you want, plus it will allow you to dial in a different driver/passenger side height to combat that driverside lean some get. Or you can always get a $20 motofab spacer and lift it an extra 1, 1.5, 2...etc. Spacers aren't bad by any means, and if you are only pavement pounding it the spacer is definitely the more economical way to adjust your ride height. But I don't think that negates the money well spent on the coil springs either. It sure is great having such a popular truck with so many options to choose from though!

Old 06-21-2018, 07:58 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^^ Maybe more than an 1" difference..... pic originally posted by bowtieconvert.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Sterling_47ag
Senior User
So how much rake do you guys with standard front springs have stock? I have the snow prep springs and I have 3in of rake. Rear vs front Center of fender.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sterling_47ag
So how much rake do you guys with standard front springs have stock? I have the snow prep springs and I have 3in of rake. Rear vs front Center of fender.
I don’t have the snow plow prep and the difference front to rear is 3” also (center of fender to ground).

Old 06-22-2018, 04:57 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the 5600lb front springs and the rake was 3.5".... I installed the BDS 2 inch level and surprise the rake is now 1.5" inches.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 AM
BADAS03SVT
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
I didn't even think of considering what I have now up front, I didn't know there was that much difference. I'm not even 100% sure. Guess Ill look when I get home.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 PM
BADAS03SVT
More Turbo

so i have FX4 and snow plow prep. Guessing those are the HD springs? I have quite a bit of rake tho. Ill really only get 1" from a spring kit?

Name:  5FLPnfq.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  283.8 KB

Old 06-23-2018, 10:57 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^ yep, you have very little rake as compared to most. Matter of fact it sits how I like my trucks to sit, just a little low overall... about a 1"- 1 1/4" rake is what I like, I hate the rear to sit lower.

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out what will work for me also, I'll have the exact same springs as you. I"m adding 4.5" blocks in back for a 1 1/4" lift and trying to figure out what will give me 3" to 3 1/4" in front, after a heavy bumper, from where the standard springs would sit.

Edit: The interesting part is the snow plow option gives you max front springs and rating #5995 (used to be #6000 last year) and the HD spring option bumps you up "only" one level, this is meant for those that run a heavy bumper. With a CC LB diesel the computer/factory would have chosen one level under the #5995 so, the HD option netted me the same as the SP option did for your short bed CC diesel.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
BADAS03SVT
More Turbo
^^^^ yep, you have very little rake as compared to most. Matter of fact it sits how I like my trucks to sit, just a little low overall... about a 1"- 1 1/4" rake is what I like, I hate the rear to sit lower.

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out what will work for me also, I'll have the exact same springs as you. I"m adding 4.5" blocks in back for a 1 1/4" lift and trying to figure out what will give me 3" to 3 1/4" in front, after a heavy bumper, from where the standard springs would sit.

Edit: The interesting part is the snow plow option gives you max front springs and rating #5995 (used to be #6000 last year) and the HD spring option bumps you up "only" one level, this is meant for those that run a heavy bumper. With a CC LB diesel the computer/factory would have chosen one level under the #5995 so, the HD option netted me the same as the SP option did for your short bed CC diesel.
my rake is actually right at 2" on both sides

Old 06-26-2018, 01:32 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BADAS03SVT
I have quite a bit of rake tho.....
Originally Posted by BADAS03SVT
my rake is actually right at 2" on both sides
That is the lease amount of rake you will ever find on a factory F350. Looks good....

Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 494 Likes on 274 Posts
On my f350 with my tools in back I only have 1.5” rake. I’m going with spacers. Looks pretty easy to install, but what is involved with straightening up the steering wheel?

Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^ Loosen two nuts on the adjustment sleeve of the drag link, twist to adjust drag link length, and re-tighten.

Quick Reply: Readylift 2.5" Spacer or Coils?