Readylift 2.5" Spacer or Coils? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Readylift 2.5" Spacer or Coils?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM
BADAS03SVT
Elder User
BADAS03SVT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Been researching a bit and think I'm narrowed down to Readylift. Seems quite a few on here that are happy. But I see they off the 2.5" on a spacer OR a replacement coil. My truck is a highway brawler towing a 30' 12k lb trailer. Which setup would ride better?

Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 PM
DeputyDiesel
Senior User
DeputyDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did lots of research on this and there is no one with experience regarding the springs. Readylift could not supply me with the spring rates but told me it would be rated for the lowest factory spring rate. I plan on being the guinea pig by doing the springs when the time comes.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 PM
ACK3000
Junior User
ACK3000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since we are talking about a level and not a full suspension lift, you would think replacing the coil would be the better way to go.

So before I pulled the trigger I thought Iíd call Readylift. The rep recommended the spacer for two reasons. 1) The ride will be better and 2) the full coil will settle down over time and not provide the desired lift.

Suprised to hear this recommendation from the manufacturer but since I had the spacer kit on my last truck w/o issue I decided to go for it again. 20k miles later, no regrets. Great ride and aesthetic. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2018, 07:27 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I spoke to Carli about their 2.5 inch level coil. What info are you looking for? I currently have a 2 inch BDS spacer. Carli claims their coil is going to be a better ride than a spacer and I can't find a reason to disagree.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM
BADAS03SVT
Elder User
Originally Posted by ACK3000 View Post
Since we are talking about a level and not a full suspension lift, you would think replacing the coil would be the better way to go.

So before I pulled the trigger I thought Iíd call Readylift. The rep recommended the spacer for two reasons. 1) The ride will be better and 2) the full coil will settle down over time and not provide the desired lift.

Suprised to hear this recommendation from the manufacturer but since I had the spacer kit on my last truck w/o issue I decided to go for it again. 20k miles later, no regrets. Great ride and aesthetic. Good luck!
That IS interesting. Wonder if I call will they say the same thing? I don't mind the stock ride so Im leaning towards the spacer.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM
BADAS03SVT
Elder User
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post
I spoke to Carli about their 2.5 inch level coil. What info are you looking for? I currently have a 2 inch BDS spacer. Carli claims their coil is going to be a better ride than a spacer and I can't find a reason to disagree.
The Carli seems nice, I'm just trying to justify all the $ for 2" of lift. My 2007 I bought an Icon 4" for all the $ and I wasn't impressed.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post
This may explain it, A "better ride" means softer springs, read less capable springs. The truth is spacers will NOT change you ride, your have the exact same suspension, your truck body just sits 2.5" or whatever higher. Most, if not al,l of your pre-made life springs are built for a "smooth ride" because this is what most of the customer want. Of course, you can go to a custom spring manufacturer and they will build you anything you want, Deaver and National Spring are two that come to mind. However, obviously, the custom route is more money than the mass produced route. The real difference is the articulation and spring travel given these are heavy trucks and not rock crawlers 99.99%, should be 100% but there is always that odd ball out there, of us do not care about articulation.

For the money, time and effort, I MHO spacers are the way to go for this application.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree - spacers. I have them on my truck and I hade them on my F150. Theyíre consistent and maintain the factory ride. Do get caster bushings and do get either the trackbar bracket or an adjustable trackbar. Youíll need both to maintain geometry.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:22 AM
ACK3000
Junior User
ACK3000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought the complete spring replacement would be the way to go for the simple fact itís less parts. Thatís why I always replace shocks and toss the extensions that are included.

Also I second that remark on the castor shims. Below is what Iím using and the alignment after was a breeze. Getting the old ones out was the trick.

http://www.spcalignment.com/index.ph...it_form=Submit

Originally Posted by BADAS03SVT View Post
That IS interesting. Wonder if I call will they say the same thing? I don't mind the stock ride so Im leaning towards the spacer.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
This may explain it, A "better ride" means softer springs, read less capable springs. The truth is spacers will NOT change you ride, your have the exact same suspension, your truck body just sits 2.5" or whatever higher. Most, if not al,l of your pre-made life springs are built for a "smooth ride" because this is what most of the customer want. Of course, you can go to a custom spring manufacturer and they will build you anything you want, Deaver and National Spring are two that come to mind. However, obviously, the custom route is more money than the mass produced route. The real difference is the articulation and spring travel given these are heavy trucks and not rock crawlers 99.99%, should be 100% but there is always that odd ball out there, of us do not care about articulation.

For the money, time and effort, I MHO spacers are the way to go for this application.
The Carli springs are multi rate ..... so are they "softer"? I don't know. But since Carli only offers 1 coil rate I guess it could be softer or stiffer depending on what coil springs you currently have. I cannot find a spec on them on the website so can't tell for sure without emailing them. I'll update with their response.
Carli's response when asked for the coil affect on load capacity: "Front coils don't affect load capacity, only rear leaf springs. Ours are a reduced rate but load capacity is unaffected"

Not sure what to make of that.

Last edited by LiquidSteam; 06-21-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Carli response
Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM
BADAS03SVT
Elder User
Originally Posted by ACK3000 View Post
I thought the complete spring replacement would be the way to go for the simple fact itís less parts. Thatís why I always replace shocks and toss the extensions that are included.

Also I second that remark on the castor shims. Below is what Iím using and the alignment after was a breeze. Getting the old ones out was the trick.

http://www.spcalignment.com/index.ph...it_form=Submit
I have rear adjustable Fox 2.0's already and my plan was to replace the fronts with this also. Thanks for the link!

Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Sterling_47ag
Senior User
Sterling_47ag is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been considering the same option. Spacer or new coils. I currently have the snow prep springs. With my research of ICON or carli springs they are a dual rate where the initial part of spring is for your some bumps to give you a smoother ride and the secondary part of springs is for your pot holes. My thoughts are springs as the ride would improve over my stiffer snow prep springs.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Tunaahelper
Senior User
Tunaahelper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I didn't want to risk the ride to an aftermarket co's interpretation of the factory spring. So went with the spacers. No issues.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Carli springs in the 2.5" variant are linear, not progressive. Their 4.5" springs are progressive. BUT, the Carli springs were a pretty big improvement in on and off road ride. They are much more linear in their compression, smoother while still being firmer. It feels like I have more control up front, especially on hard bumps at speed like on the freeway.

The Carli springs are only $315, its really not that much money when you think about it. You can buy your own shocks, and you can get your sway bar and bump stop spacers from anyone that makes them, you dont have to get the Carli branded ones. You'll have a better ride and you'll have more travel.

I look at it this way, every single time you drive your truck you'll feel and experience that $315 you spent. Its a $60-80k truck, whats a few hundred bucks on something that is so important to the quality of your ride every time you hop in it?

There's quite a big difference in the springs, the stock ride wasn't bad at all. The improvement per dollar though with Carli springs were worth every penny to me however. Just looking at the spring I think you can imagine the difference in ride.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Sterling_47ag
Senior User
Sterling_47ag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tricon
Carli springs in the 2.5" variant are linear, not progressive. Their 4.5" springs are progressive. BUT, the Carli springs were a pretty big improvement in on and off road ride. They are much more linear in their compression, smoother while still being firmer. It feels like I have more control up front, especially on hard bumps at speed like on the freeway.

The Carli springs are only $315, its really not that much money when you think about it. You can buy your own shocks, and you can get your sway bar and bump stop spacers from anyone that makes them, you dont have to get the Carli branded ones. You'll have a better ride and you'll have more travel.

I look at it this way, every single time you drive your truck you'll feel and experience that $315 you spent. Its a $60-80k truck, whats a few hundred bucks on something that is so important to the quality of your ride every time you hop in it?

There's quite a big difference in the springs, the stock ride wasn't bad at all. The improvement per dollar though with Carli springs were worth every penny to me however. Just looking at the spring I think you can imagine the difference in ride.

Couldn't agree more with Tricon. I'll be going the 2.5 route and hope I have a little rake left as I tow often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Readylift 2.5" Spacer or Coils?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.