Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tugging power?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tugging power?

Starting off of the other post.
I want a little more tugging power. I have a 2000 F350 with 4:10 gears, DP tuner with 40 hp,60 hp,80. Hp programs. I have a intake and 4" exhaust , shims under fuel regulator to boost fuel pressure a little, regulator on mass air flow sensor, shift kit in tranny. The trailer is 10,000 lbs,and around 10ft high and not much slope on the front ,so catches a lot of air. The 80 hp setting is almost enough ,but on a hard pull I have to back out of it because the exhaust temp starts getting to high. I won't let it go over 1250. I like to pull at highway speed 70 mph where I live. What can I do to get more usable pulling power? I pull trailer 10 to 12 hr days when on trips and a few years I will be pulling trailer west,to see country.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Handy1
regulator on mass air flow sensor
There is no mass air flow sensor.

There are ways to lower EGT and maintain power, but if you wanna haul *** while towing a big trailer you might just need a different truck/engine.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Starting off of the other post.
I want a little more tugging power. I have a 2000 F350 with 4:10 gears, DP tuner with 40 hp,60 hp,80. Hp programs. I have a intake and 4" exhaust , shims under fuel regulator to boost fuel pressure a little, regulator on mass air flow sensor, shift kit in tranny. The trailer is 10,000 lbs,and around 10ft high and not much slope on the front ,so catches a lot of air. The 80 hp setting is almost enough ,but on a hard pull I have to back out of it because the exhaust temp starts getting to high. I won't let it go over 1250. I like to pull at highway speed 70 mph where I live. What can I do to get more usable pulling power? I pull trailer 10 to 12 hr days when on trips and a few years I will be pulling trailer west,to see country.
You don't have a power problem. You have a flow problem. You need and SXE turbo.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The engine is fully capable of more power (with hardware upgrades), but as a person who has gone the full boat (I tow a boat in the mountains), cooling in that little nose has limitations. We have only so much square feet for cooling in the front, and it's used up to the tune of three layers (A/C heat exchange, Intercooler, and radiator).
  • If you want to take it to a sane max with what you have to work with, you need a lot more air for starters. That stocker falls on its face after about 25 PSI boost, and it takes a number of mods to get it to perform well even there. Your exhaust is addressed - it needs to be 4" (turbo-back) to let the air out. I had a nice performance intake, but the upgrades demanded yet more air - so I had to sell my upgraded intake to buy a bigger intake upgrade.
  • The stock injectors are all about emissions with their split-shot configuration. This robs you of a tiny bit of economy, significant power, and the ability to put the injection cycle where it will do the most good with lower EGTs. A nice set of International AC injectors with 80% nozzles will be a sensible upgrade for towing heavy in the heat and hills, plus they are reasonably easy to tune.
  • With that much oomph in the nose, the rear needs traction bars - or you will bend/break stuff if you use the right pedal to any degree.
  • Transmission will need upgrades, and you might look at having it configured for engine braking.
It's at this point that I call out the elephant in the room - that blocky nose on the trailer. You will be throwing a lot of fuel at the problem - when maybe the money is best spent on some aerodynamic modifications. Just a thought... because the list above will set you back about $10,000 to burn fuel faster.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Handy1
Senior User
No mass air flow sensor. Maybe map sensor? I guess it's been to long since I did these mods and can't remember the right names.2004 was when I done it. I was having problems refueling the engine and added a regulator to fool the controller so it would only see around 22 lbs boost. It fixed the problem. These are expensive mods but compared to a $65000 New truck they are not that bad. Thanks

Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
No mass air flow sensor. Maybe map sensor? I guess it's been to long since I did these mods and can't remember the right names.2004 was when I done it. I was having problems refueling the engine and added a regulator to fool the controller so it would only see around 22 lbs boost. It fixed the problem. These are expensive mods but compared to a $65000 New truck they are not that bad. Thanks
Skip all the above mods and do an SXE turbo and you will be very very happy. Will be less then 2200 dollars.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by akcooper9
Skip all the above mods and do an SXE turbo and you will be very very happy. Will be less then 2200 dollars.
Help me out a little, I have the factory inner cooler (is that the right name) do I need to replace it with aftermarket to help cool the air?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Help me out a little, I have the factory inner cooler (is that the right name) do I need to replace it with aftermarket to help cool the air?
Nope, your factory intercooler is more than capable of doing what it already does.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
I'd check for some boost leaks.

Before I made the switch away from DP I pulled a GN horse trailer, 8' tall....the GCVW could be as much 22k....never had an issue with EGT that I can recall (it's been a while though). It was more common to run out of power than get hot. At that time it was stock injectors and stock turbo.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
I'd check for some boost leaks.

Before I made the switch away from DP I pulled a GN horse trailer, 8' tall....the GCVW could be as much 22k....never had an issue with EGT that I can recall (it's been a while though). It was more common to run out of power than get hot. At that time it was stock injectors and stock turbo.
My egt is good when I am pulling with the 60hp tow tune ,but it lacks power. In the 80 hp tune is when I have to watch the egt.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My egt is good when I am pulling with the 60hp tow tune ,but it lacks power. In the 80 hp tune is when I have to watch the egt.

Basically, when you give it more fuel, your EGTs go up. That’s because you not giving it more air to match. I agree with the SXE recommendation!

Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Where to buy a SXE turbo? Any recommendations? Can I use my current tune or will I need to get a new tune

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
To be more specific, the turbo is a Borg Warner turbo, which comes in many sizes and flavors. For what you’re wanting to do, the 364.5sxe will work best. In addition to the turbo, you’ll need a T4 style mount, since the SXE spins the other direction. As for T4 mounts, there are 2 main players in this game. Carson Stauffer Diesel: https://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com...ant=3302836481

...and Irate Diesel: https://www.iratediesel.com/irdie/pr...-mounting-kit/

Heres the turbo: https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s36...3-13009097055/

Both have great reputations, but my experience with Carson Stauffer was great. Either place can get you the turbo as well, but a little online research will get you one at a better price.

Before you start emptying your wallet, have you made sure you don’t have any boost/exhaust leaks?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Handy1
Senior User
I am fairly sure I do not have any leaks. It makes somewhere around 26 lbs boost wide open throttle on a pull. I can't hear any leaks from any where. This truck has been troubled free for the most part since new. A couple of cam sensors and wheel bearings is about it. Last fall I did change out the dual wheels and went to singal rear wheels . It's much better for my needs

Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tugging power?