Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronco 4x4?

Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Amicus
Senior User
Amicus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bronco 4x4?

thinking about getting a bronco but was wondering about 4x4 system. Is it a limited slip or true lockers. I have a 99 super duty and it has a limited slip that sucks. I plan on using it for hunting.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2018, 04:32 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Hi Amicus,

Every Bronco automatically comes with four wheel drive (no 2WD Broncos). Some came with limited slip and the rest were open differentials. The limited slip was not a common option, so open diffs are easier to find.
You can tell by looking at the axle code on the door.
If it's a solid number, it's open diff. Like 19.
If it is preceded by a letter, it's limited slip. Like, H9.

True lockers would be aftermarket.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Amicus
Senior User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Hi Amicus,

Every Bronco automatically comes with four wheel drive (no 2WD Broncos). Some came with limited slip and the rest were open differentials. The limited slip was not a common option, so open diffs are easier to find.
You can tell by looking at the axle code on the door.
If it's a solid number, it's open diff. Like 19.
If it is preceded by a letter, it's limited slip. Like, H9.

True lockers would be aftermarket.
Thanks. Open diffs. How does that work?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:06 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Like 99% of most vehicles out there. The power is transferred to the wheel with the least amount of traction (hence the reason for traction lock differentials). When both wheels have equal traction, they get equal power from the engine.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:50 PM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.
But you can always install lockers.
A selectable or an e- locker would give you the best of both worlds.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM
00t444e
Elder User
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
An open diff always puts equal torque to both wheels, however that torque is determined by the wheel that takes the least resistance to spin. For example say it takes 200 ft lb to move a vehicle but one wheel is on a slick surface that only requires 50 ft lb to spin that wheel, the other wheel that is on a hard surface will also be getting 50 ft lbs of torque but that isn't enough to move the vehicle so that wheel will just sit there while the other wheel spins. A limited slip works by using clutches or gears to transfer more torque to the wheel with greater traction, a locker locks both axles together regardless of the torque or traction on each wheel. Broncos never came from the factory with lockers, the rear is either open or limited slip and the front is open, although I believe a front limited slip was optional on few model years but it was rare.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Amicus
Senior User
Thanks, Gentleman

I hate seeing one tire spin and the other just limp. I'm looking for another hunting/ranch vehicle and can't make up my mind. I love my 7.3 and was thinking about getting another one but been looking at some broncos. Either way looks like I would have to install some lockers to get all wheels to spin.

Thanks again

Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.
Or a welder...

Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Pandaz3
New User
Pandaz3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a '81 300 6 4 spd OD manual and it had limited slip front and rear. I did not order it that way, I just bought it new from the Ford Dealer in Enterprise, Alabama. Had to go overseas and always regretted losing that one. A new '86 v8 auto XLT all gussied out, did have a limited slip rear but not front. I never warmed up to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.