Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase advice 2001 Excursion

Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 PM
hharvey
Junior User
hharvey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Purchase advice 2001 Excursion

What are your thoughts
I week ago I was shopping for an Expedition. They were expensive and a little lighter duty than I think I need.
I have changed my research to the Excursion.
I would prefer a nice truck but I have to sell my wife's current SUV because we would not have room for 3 vehicles
The choice is to replace the SUV with a larger one or sell my jeep for a truck so SUV will be sold
I have found a nice condition 2001 4X4 but high miles $3500
190,000 on the truck 140,000 on the V10
We will only use it as a grocery getter, and to pull a 5200lb RV trailer and a larger flat bed trailer but maybe once every few months and not very far
We are only expecting to get 2 or 3 years from it when we will no longer need the RV and trailer

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Senior User
Vinny G-the EX man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We will need a little more info to help you, what engine ext , The mileage you stated is not high on these trucks if well maintained what model. We all will assist your quest with a little more . Good luck
Sorry just read post again missed you mentioned engine size, my bad

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 PM
hharvey
Junior User
Originally Posted by Vinny G-the EX man View Post
We will need a little more info to help you, what engine ext , The mileage you stated is not high on these trucks if well maintained what model. We all will assist your quest with a little more . Good luck
I have not seen it yet it is about a 3 hour drive.
I will get more information when I call him back
What other questions should I ask
I was told it was well maintained.
I assumed that being 4x4 it was the V10 the ad said it was gas but did not say what engine.
it is XLT

Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Senior User
Itís probably a V10 which is an excellent motor, you should ask about the spark plugs to see any have blown out common problem on the engine before 03 easy to correct. You stated that there was less mileage on engine, was it rebuilt? What did they do to it and why. Ask if any work on front end? This forum can assist on any and all repairs, also ask about the manifold studs, were they changed ?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 AM
msuser92
Senior User
msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.
Check rockers and bottom of doors for rust

Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM
thor363
Elder User
thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.
3.73 geared it'll pull that 5200 lbs just fine but it's always going to be thirsty. Untouched in the TN mountains I see about 6-7mpg or sometimes less (seriously). Our TT is 5289 dry and often travels much heavier when loaded, no issues, just the mileage. I sold a Jeep Grand Cherokee which of course had such a short wheelbase it felt like it was getting pushed through the curves despite the WD/AS hitch I had. I pull in the mountains of TN occasionally, which are nothing like the mountains of the West coast so I'd guess if you're pulling out west you'll want to follow some of Tom's threads (WE3ZS...awesome guy) on gearing etc. He's been a sage for the v10 Ex if that's what you decide upon. For long term look up some of Tom's threads, I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly. As for me I went v10 4x4, with full knowledge that I was going to want to pull more weight so already did the suspension upgrades, trans cooler upgrade, 5 star tunes, y-pipe, and went through the full front end and steering including adding more caster to calm the wanderlust these rigs seem to normally be plagued with. Took a bit to go through all the power lock actuators and the barn door cables end upgrades also, but I wanted everything to be fully functional. Having driven a 7.3 courtesy of Mike (NicMike...awesome guy also), in hindsight I likely would have picked up a 7.3 and mod it out like he has did. I started with the end goal of stuffing a Cummins into mine as I had a low miles 12 valve from a friend for very little money...however the conversion is fairly expensive to do yourself and to do right. In any case, at that price it sounds decent but I'd still want rust free regardless of whether I was keeping it or not. ...and yes I'm sure I should have started a build thread, but I can't do it justice like OldGuyFL has done.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM
96firephoenix
Senior User
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by hharvey View Post
I assumed that being 4x4 it was the V10 the ad said it was gas but did not say what engine.
it is XLT
mmm... I've got an 01 XLT 4x4 with a gas v8. not a good assumption, lol.

The 5.4 is a good engine, just grossly underpowered in my opinion. You're asking an engine designed to move a 4000 lb F150 to move a 7700 lb Excursion...

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
hharvey
Junior User
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post

The 5.4 is a good engine, just grossly underpowered in my opinion. You're asking an engine designed to move a 4000 lb F150 to move a 7700 lb Excursion...
Yea I would want the V10. I am waiting before I call the seller because I want to make sure I can sell the other SUV or I won't have a place to park another vehicle.
I am currently in an RV park waiting to start building on our property and the property is to far from the RV park to be able to leave things parked there.
The ad has been running for a while and I should have ask the seller more questions when I talked to him.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM
inthedirt
Senior User
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
I bought a 2000 V10 4wd almost a year ago and have been happy with, for the most part. I use it as a family hauler when heading out of town, towing our boat or little toy hauler, or anytime the Ranger just won't do. 3.73 gearing is not all that great for towing, so like others have said, be sure to size your tires appropriately and get the 5Star tuner. Will help greatly with shift points on the trans. Go through and replace all the fluids for safe keeping. It will give you an overall idea of how well the PO took care of it. I didn't have time to do it myself before leaving on a weeklong family reunion camping trip out of state, so I paid a local shop to do it for me. Mine has a 10in lift and big tires, for now, but these are extremely comfortable family rigs......especially with dogs!

Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM
hharvey
Junior User
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post

I got some more information from the seller.
It is the V10 and the plugs were replaced at 160,000 miles
It has never had an issue with the plugs blowing out.
If the truck is still there this week end I will make the drive to go see it.
Motor was replaced not rebuilt

Last edited by hharvey; 06-06-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-06-2018, 01:49 PM
thor363
Elder User
thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.
I got some more information from the seller.
It is the V10 and the plugs were replaced at 160,000 miles
It has never had an issue with the plugs blowing out.
If the truck is still there this week end I will make the drive to go see it.
Motor was replaced not rebuilt
Don't just see it, drive it!

Old 06-06-2018, 02:04 PM
hharvey
Junior User
Originally Posted by thor363 View Post
Don't just see it, drive it!
I will drive it and crawl under it than the wife will pick through it.
Is there a way to read codes without a scanner my jeep will let me do that with some key sequences

Old 06-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Senior User
That price is very good if it is in good shape, as it looks in the photo you posted , as stated before check for RUST!!!

Old 06-06-2018, 02:09 PM
thor363
Elder User
I will drive it and crawl under it than the wife will pick through it.
Is there a way to read codes without a scanner my jeep will let me do that with some key sequences
Yes, a simple scanner using the TorquePlus app will get all the codes, and also allow you to view trans temp and many other fault codes both pending and historical.

I use this one with TorquePlus for road trips and diags, and it's super cheap (but works well). Nothing fancy required.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Thank you for the kind words Thor!
I am a very big fan of the V-10 engine in these giant wagons, they are capable of getting some pretty heavy work done, of course like any other platform they do even better with a few good mods. That picture looks good and so does the price. But as has been said, get under and look for rust, serious rust is a death sentence for older vehicles as good sound repairs can easily exceed the value of the vehicle. You mentioned that it's three hours from you in TN, hopefully it's even farther South so as to have had a salt free life.
If the under body and frame are rust free that will be a great start, but remember that it is an 18 year old rig, expect to spend some money and time taking care of a list of little things to get it "just right". As was mentioned above the two most common issues with the early V-10s was the plug blowing due to only having 4 or so threads holding them in and the exhaust manifold studs breaking. It sounds like the seller hasn't had any issues with the plugs (some rigs do, some don't, having the plugs installed and (over)torqued correctly is important here), so that's good news, but even if it does blow one it's not the end of the world, very good fixes are available. The exhaust manifold studs tend to break on some rigs over time, this will eventually lead to an exhaust leak and in my case, nice new Banks headers! . Take a good look at the studs, there are 20 of them, count them and use any that are missing as a negotiating point on the price. Typical shop rate to replace them runs $800-ish, but we can walk you through the job here, I did my broken studs in my driveway.
Be sure your test drive includes plenty of starts and stops, both easy and hard braking to feel for any side pull or odd noises. Also try to get it onto soft or loose ground and engage the 4X4 to test the transfer case and front hubs auto locking function. Take it up to highway speeds to check for any unusual handling issues and pay very close attention to the steering tightness and feel, there are lots of components on this agerig that can be worn in the steering and suspension systems. Play with every switch and button to verify proper function of everything.
I do like seeing those larger towing mirrors, if factory the EX may have the optional 4.30 gears which are absolute BEST option available for these big gas wagons, especially one that will be doing some towing work. But even if it has the more common 3.73 gears it should handle your middle weight TT just fine. My V-10 EX has an effective 4.39 ratio which performs pretty darned good as our dedicated tow rig for our 11,300lb TT which we pull all over the East. We were in TN just last week and the week before in both Nashville and Pigeon Forge, it handles those TN mountains just fine and saw towing mileage in the 8.5 to 9 MPG range.
Where abouts are you in TN? At this time our plans are to retire to TN in 5 to 7 years, my wife wants a place on the water, I'm trying to convince her that a nice pond qualifies but so far she isn't in agreement with that idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchase advice 2001 Excursion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.