2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

SYNC3

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC3

I recently purchased a 2015 Expedition XLT. OEM with the SYNC My Ford Touch. I more recently did the SYNC3 upgrade. That was actually fairly easy install but having some issues.

I contacted Vendor and they swear it is current. I have 3.0.........I read on other forums that that is a 3.0.2 or version 3.2 When I log onto SYNCMYRIDE.com it still shows as the original MFT version.

The major issues are 1. NAV MAP update. I suspect that the updates are related. I was on a road trip and MAP just cut off interstate travel sent me to basically an open field. Eventually it caught itself and resumed with interstate transist.

2nd issue and more annoying than unsafe. When I turn off vehicle the audio source switches from previous source...usually Sirius XM radio. When I turn vehicle back on again it turns to AM radio and of course a non existent station so static at Volume 15 There is no pattern of all the time, just intermittent. Enough to be a major annoyance but not a consistent pattern to help with troubleshooting.

Any ideas or previous experience with same issue.

Also when I search for updates it still shows a last update of January 2014 which to my knowledge SYNC3 was still in development and testing.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
UPDATE:

Talked to the Vendor and there is apparently a SYNC Version 3.0.2.3 which I am having trouble downloading but at least I know there is a update to hopefully cure the AM stereo default. Aside from the audio glitch the SYNC3 worked great on my recent road trip to the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA

I missed Road Trip Radio due to that not channel being programmed into the Ford models but 80's at 8, comedy channels, and USB worked great.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:50 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Update 2: There is not a 3.0.2.3 Those are separate versions 3.0 and 2.3.

With that said I tried the master reset of the SYNC 3 and the audio switching glitch for now seems to be corrected. I will keep the turning stereo off and using remote if it acts up again. I am not totally convinced but for now so far so good!!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Can't you just use Waze or Google Maps when you plug the phone into the USB? I thought that's what AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay does so that you don't need to use the GPS built into the head unit. Waze and Google Maps update much more often. That's what I love about SYNC 3. I have also found bugs. For some reason I have to put the address into Waze on the phone first and then plug it in so that SYNC 3 can take over. Sometimes when I try to put the address into SYNC 3, things freeze up and I have to unplug the phone and start over.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 AM
cwasilak
New User
When you did the upgrade did you just purchase the sync 3 apim or did you have to get the new screen also, I have a 2015 and was thinking about doing?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
The upgrade kit is the APIM and MFD Screen in one. You will have to transfer the brackets over to the new APIM/Screen but not a big deal if you follow the videos and instructions. The vendor is being pretty stingy on the OEM MFT screen core so be warned. They are only offering $50 core but charging $1500 (NON NAV) and $2100 for NAV. I am keeping my OEM MFT for trade in of Expedition...(Go back to MFT for trade in) or if vendor offers more on the core return.

Also make a note about some of the threads on not only this forum but others. The audio switching glitch where it goes back to AM radio after start up. This is a nuisance and apparently Ford IVT engineers themselves either don't now how to fix or are unwilling to provide support for their product. Hate to say it but that is going to cost them customer in the long run but oh well their case of spilled milk. The solutions for the audio problem either live with it, Turn audio OFF prior to engine shutdown and turn on again after start, use Remote Start. Last option is live with it until hopefully corrected with next software update.

The other features of the SYNC3 upgrade that do work at least in my opinion work pretty well. Probably a reason I am living with the glitch until next update.

Installation of the new APIM and screen itself is actually pretty easy. All the connectors and wiring adapters are included and basically transfer the connectors over.

Remember you lose the AUX input, SD card slot and RCA jacks. The new media hub only retains the dual USB.

I am by no means discouraging the conversion it works pretty well other than the audio glitch and that is only during start up. Is it worth $1500 or $2100 that is up to you and your financial planner. If you trade in, you should be able to go back to stock.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 PM
cwasilak
New User
Thanks for the info

Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 AM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Originally Posted by EXPE15
The upgrade kit is the APIM and MFD Screen in one.
Are they all like this or can you just upgrade the APIM alone without the screen on some Fords?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:52 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
To my knowledge YES! They flash the VIN to the APIM/Screen prior to shipping. I do not believe you can order just a APIM. The screen is attached to the APIM as one complete assembly.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:41 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Originally Posted by EXPE15
To my knowledge YES! They flash the VIN to the APIM/Screen prior to shipping. I do not believe you can order just a APIM. The screen is attached to the APIM as one complete assembly.
Yeah, I saw one set like $599 for a Lincoln I think or something having the same problem.