waterpump replacement - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterpump replacement

  #1  
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 PM
bk117wrench
bk117wrench is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
bk117wrench is starting off with a positive reputation.
waterpump replacement

I had a small weep thru the weep hole. Ended up changing the pump (BMG), thermostat, belt, several pullies, and temp sending unit. Rented the wrench from O'Rielly's. After getting the fan and shroud removed the job went fairly easy. For some reason I had to fight a leak at the thermostat but after I resolved that all was good. I would have like to have changed the fan clutch but cheaped out. Maybe this fall I'll do the fan clutch and vacuum pump. I hope I can just drive it for the rest of the summer and not work on it till the fall. I also went with Nexan Roadians 235 85 16, Walmart installed them, the installer put 85 lbs in them I felt like I was on 4 ice skates. Now I'm running 45ibs it rides good to me.
 
  #2  
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 PM
tshrager's Avatar
tshrager
tshrager is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 4,947
tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bk117wrench View Post
I had a small weep thru the weep hole. Ended up changing the pump (BMG), thermostat, belt, several pullies, and temp sending unit. Rented the wrench from O'Rielly's. After getting the fan and shroud removed the job went fairly easy. For some reason I had to fight a leak at the thermostat but after I resolved that all was good. I would have like to have changed the fan clutch but cheaped out. Maybe this fall I'll do the fan clutch and vacuum pump. I hope I can just drive it for the rest of the summer and not work on it till the fall. I also went with Nexan Roadians 235 85 16, Walmart installed them, the installer put 85 lbs in them I felt like I was on 4 ice skates. Now I'm running 45ibs it rides good to me.
I wouldnít do the vac pump just to do it. It seems like most parts store ones arenít the greatest.

235ís and 85psi!?? Lord. Hope you have 3.55 gears.
 
  #3  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM
bk117wrench
bk117wrench is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
bk117wrench is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tshrager View Post


I wouldnít do the vac pump just to do it. It seems like most parts store ones arenít the greatest.

235ís and 85psi!?? Lord. Hope you have 3.55 gears.
Yes the truck has 3:55 gears, the 235 85 16 are OEM. Never the less I thought the back end was gonna break loose on the ride home from Walmart. All better now. As far as the vacuum pump I will buy a new one from rockauto not rebuilt, I have access to a press to change the pully, but for now I'm comfortable with the accessories up front.
 
  #4  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Hit Man X's Avatar
Hit Man X
Hit Man X is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,683
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-7-3L-P...IAAOxyg6pRGCX8

That worked great on my truck, even with a new pump and new stat housing.

Vacuum Pump Alliant Power Stock Replacement Ford Powerstroke 1999-2003 7.3L That is the same pump I paid through the nose for at the dealer...and cheaper than Rockauto with actual customer service! You need a puller and installer, not a hydraulic press. Just use that cheapo Harbor Freight kit.



Would 265/75R16 fit the stock wheels? WAY more selection in a common size. I dumped the 215/85s on my dually because there are nearly no quality brands in that size anymore.
 
  #5  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 AM
bk117wrench
bk117wrench is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
bk117wrench is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-7-3L-P...IAAOxyg6pRGCX8

That worked great on my truck, even with a new pump and new stat housing.

Vacuum Pump Alliant Power Stock Replacement Ford Powerstroke 1999-2003 7.3L That is the same pump I paid through the nose for at the dealer...and cheaper than Rockauto with actual customer service! You need a puller and installer, not a hydraulic press. Just use that cheapo Harbor Freight kit.



Would 265/75R16 fit the stock wheels? WAY more selection in a common size. I dumped the 215/85s on my dually because there are nearly no quality brands in that size anymore.
Wow I wish I knew about that kit. I was getting worried I was never gonna get that leak stopped.
 
  #6  
Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Brian Ski 44
Brian Ski 44 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michiana
Posts: 203
Brian Ski 44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bk117wrench View Post
Wow I wish I knew about that kit. I was getting worried I was never gonna get that leak stopped.
The kit may not be needed. I ran into the same problem yesterday about the leaky housing then had to think back about the last time I changed the thermostat. There are 2 kinds of thermostat gaskets. One that looks like a square O ring that sits on top the gasket and it leaks. (most common, that why so many people have trouble) The other gasket is thicker and has a split on the inside that the thermostat fits in. That gasket does not leak. You have to do a little digging to find who has the correct gasket. I reused the old good one.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Crewcabber
Ranger & B-Series
1
04-29-2014 09:52 AM
bmoran4
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
2
04-03-2013 04:45 PM
jkarne
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
13
05-26-2010 03:29 AM
MrWillys
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
16
08-03-2009 03:39 PM
MARC
Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
1
03-03-2007 08:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: waterpump replacement


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: