Carb for Clifford single intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Dr. Johnny Fever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb for Clifford single intake?

I just grabbed a pair of EFI headers off ebay and am ordering a Clifford intake (the single like the Offy C, not the Webber dual) tomorrow. Now need to pick the carb. I’m leaning towards an edelbrock 500, model 1403.

Would that be a good choice?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
What's the intended usage of the vehicle? The best choice could range from a Rochester 2G to a Holley 650 double-pumper, depending on the application.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Dr. Johnny Fever
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
What's the intended usage of the vehicle? The best choice could range from a Rochester 2G to a Holley 650 double-pumper, depending on the application.
This is our family fun truck. If we need to haul something in it, fine, but that's not what we use it for 99% of the time. We just want to have fun and go fast.

[edit] Don't knw what the PO did (if anything) but here's the current state:

1986 F150 4X4
300 I6
C6 Trans
3.55 rear
feedback carb, vacuum stuff and computer removed.
1bbl carter YF manual choke carb
HEI dizzy
EFI Headers (haven them, but haven't figured out what exhaust so not installed)
ordering Clifford intake today if it's in stock. Offy C if it's not.

Last edited by Dr. Johnny Fever; 05-22-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added info on current setup
Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
In that case for an all-around fun to drive vehicle I think an Autolite two-barrel will do wonders to wake up the performance of your truck. Try to find a 1.08 bore carb - commonly used on 302 and 289 V8s. That in combination with the EFI exhausts and a low restriction muffler (I like Flowmaster Series 50 [throaty, but not too loud] mufflers). You'll need a 2V adapter for the Clifford intake - available from Clifford or just make your own from 1/2" minimum aluminum plate. Good luck with your build.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Dr. Fever, I currently run the Eddy 1403 carb and out of the box it runs good. I've ran holley 600, 465, 470 cfm carbs on my 300 they all responded well but the 470 was my favorite it had a real snappy throttle with that carb but the secondaries never wanted to open even after I rebuilt it. The 600 always had a bog went I went in to third gear but other then that it was a great carburetor. Now the eddy like I said is a good carb. Not sure if you ever heard the phrase "drive a Edelbrock, race a Holley" the edelbrock is a great cruising carburetor it does get up on go when I want it too. But like all carburetors tuning has to be done. Recently had to buy a calibration kit for the eddy but it's a overall good carburetor. If this doesnt solve my problem I'm going with the Fitech fuel injection. Lol

Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
The eddy 1403 is a great carb. I ran one for a year. You will be happy with it.

Also wanted to correct something: The EFI manifolds are NOT headers.They may flow better than the log exhaust, but far less than a hedman or cliffy header. However, if you're running a max of 200-220 hp, then you're at the max range of those manifolds (How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos). That being said, they do have several advantages over headers, such as longevity, lower heat, less fitment issues. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Dr. Johnny Fever
Senior User
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the info. Also, yes, I should be using the proper term manifold instead of headers. I just got in the habit of that because they look like shorty headers to me.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:50 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
There really isn't a right or wrong carb here. As long as it's bigger then the stock 1V and 650 cfm or less it will work out. Certain carbs take more tuning to get right while others seem to work great out of the box.. I like the Autolite 2100/4100 carbs. Because they are dead simple, reliable and perform well. But they are old carbs, so unless you buy them from a good rebuilder, you would need to rebuild a used one. I don't mind this. I actually enjoy doing it. But if you are looking for a new carb the Edelbrock is a good choice. They perform good, easy to tune, less likely to leak fuel due to their design. The Holley type of carbs are great for the people racing or looking to squeeze out every last hp.

If I was in the market for a new carb and it was in my budget I would go with the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS 2 carb. Either the 1901 ( electric choke ) or the 1902 ( manual choke ) . These are both 500 cfm carbs. These carbs take the Thunder series carbs which have the adjustable secondary air valves and add the annular flow boosters. And that is one of the nice features of the Autolite carbs. I think one of these would be a great carb for a 300.

The EFI exhaust manifolds are basically a pair of cast iron shorty headers. Some guys just get their shorts in a bundle if someone uses the wrong term. Especially when they hate the EFI manifolds..

Old 06-09-2018, 01:24 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
The EFI exhaust manifolds are basically a pair of cast iron shorty headers. Some guys just get their shorts in a bundle if someone uses the wrong term. Especially when they hate the EFI manifolds..
...and some guys enjoy spacing out and calling them 'headers', even though they're cast iron and flow half what conventional headers do. Imaginary headers for your imaginary engine, or should we call it a skateboard, since terms are not important to you.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
...and some guys enjoy spacing out and calling them 'headers', even though they're cast iron and flow half what conventional headers do. Imaginary headers for your imaginary engine, or should we call it a skateboard, since terms are not important to you.
Some one needs to lighten up.

Just because it's cast iron doesn't mean it's not a header. Ford made cast iron headers on a lot of the 60's performance engines. Especially some of the FE big block monsters. And you can't really go off from flow #'s either. Because different headers have different size and shape of the primary tubes, collectors, etc. So if you compare your headers to say the headers on FTF's drag car I'm sure his would flow more then yours. So does that make your not headers? See my point?

Even the aftermarket industry doesn't call all headers, headers. A lot of turbo "manifolds" are headers. And I know some guys that fabricate race headers that call them manifolds. It's just two different terms that mean pretty much the same thing. When you compare the EFI exhaust manifolds to a carbed manifold they are cast iron shorty headers. They have individual runners that meet up in a collector, just like a tubular header. A tubular header just flows more( depending on the size of it's primaries, etc )

Sometimes I wish my engines were imaginary. If they were I'd have a lot more storage space and money in my pocket. Same with my imaginary "headers" which right now are just a few shelves full of 1/2" plate, 14 gauge mandrel U-bends, a stack of 14 gauge straight pipe and Cone Engineering collectors and some V-band clamps and flanges. I do wish all that was imaginary, sometimes. I'd still have around $750 in my pocket if it was. And it's been a good 30 years or so since I owned a skateboard. But if it makes you feel happy you can call a potato, a banana or tomato or eggplant!

I know people calling the manifolds "headers' bugs you. I feel the same way when people call the 300 a V6. But I think we all need to just relax a little bit.