1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I screwed up by not paying attention. Oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I screwed up by not paying attention. Oil change.

So long story short I drained out the trans fluid and added 13 qrts to the crankcase. Saw it was over filled so went back and drained the same pan lol. I then realized I removed the wrong plug. It was the damn trans pan and realized the oil pan was further up. So drained out all the oil from the oil pan. Now I need to refill the trans. This is where I am asking you guys. Do I just refill with what I drained out? Do. I need to remove the pan? Do I need to replace the trans filter too? Truck has 89k miles. Trans fluid never been replaced that I know of. It was my dad's that I purchased from him. He is looking now for all the paper work to see if the trans fluid/filter has been replaced before.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:00 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Pan takes 8 quarts, so just refill it up with Mercon V, theres a procedure writen by Mark K.that goes in deph on how to do a proper oil change of the tranny. You will need a large container to empty the crank case as well.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Pan takes 8 quarts, so just refill it up with Mercon V, theres a procedure writen by Mark K.that goes in deph on how to do a proper oil change of the tranny. You will need a large container to empty the crank case as well.
So I can just add in what I let out or will that just be useless? If not then do I need to drop the pan? I read over the procedure Mentioned something about hooking up a hose to the drain port at the back of the transmission and having to start the truck and let it drain till an air bubble is present. I don't mind doing that procedure but if I can just fill through the fill port without doing the drain procedure that would be great.

Also the pan only drained maybe three quarts, if that.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Drain whats ever left in the trans pan and just refill the trans pan back up. Mark K himself said theres no need to replace the trans filter when chainging the trans oil.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:37 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Drain whats ever left in the trans pan and just refill the trans pan back up. Mark K himself said theres no need to replace the trans filter when chainging the trans oil.
It was drained till nothing came out. Ok so just grab some fluid and fill till leveled. No need to remove the pan or go through hooking up the hose to drain while going through gears, yea?

Thanks for the quick replies man.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Truck has 89k miles. Trans fluid never been replaced that I know of."

Since you are in it this far you may as well do a complete flush per Mark K's procedure. It's due anyway and you will be god to go for the flush.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
"Truck has 89k miles. Trans fluid never been replaced that I know of."

Since you are in it this far you may as well do a complete flush per Mark K's procedure. It's due anyway and you will be god to go for the flush.
I just talked with my dad and he had it done roughly 2 years ago

Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
So you said Mercon V but I'm reading my truck takes MERCON only? I just filled the trans up with mercon V. I hope this isn't wrong? Truck is in Sig.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:03 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Theres no more Mercon available, only Mercon V.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Theres no more Mercon available, only Mercon V.
Interesting. Well is still left it in there as I read some more forums. Thanks for the info..

Old 05-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by L-ight
So you said Mercon V but I'm reading my truck takes MERCON only? I just filled the trans up with mercon V. I hope this isn't wrong? Truck is in Sig.
Ford superseded the Mercon when they had Mercon V reformulated and it is now the proper trans fluid for the 4R100.

Ford really should have just renamed Mercon to Mercon 2.0 to avoid the confusion this caused (and is still causing) when they issued the TSB back in 2006, changing the fluid.

Stewart

Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Ford superseded the Mercon when they had Mercon V reformulated and it is now the proper trans fluid for the 4R100.

Ford really should have just renamed Mercon to Mercon 2.0 to avoid the confusion this caused (and is still causing) when they issued the TSB back in 2006, changing the fluid.

Stewart
Great to hear. Almost had a heart attack when I saw they said not to mix the two.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:19 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It is admirable that you admitted your mistake. Not enough people do that these days.

I had a pretty big "oops" on a dodge cummins I once owned. I intended to suck out and refill the power steering fluid, not knowing the last time it was done. I mistakenly sucked out the brake fluid and filled the brake fluid resevoir with atf +4, which is the proper fluid for that generation power steering in the dodges.

It was weeks later, when I went in for an airbag recall, the service writer pointed out the brake fluid reservoir, trying to sell me a brake fluid flush. I bit my tongue, politely declined, and flushed the brake fluid myself when I got home that day. Luckily, I only had about 75 miles on that mistake, thanks to my little Saturn commuter car, and the atf stayed in the resevior and didn't get circulated. I got lucky. I drive 500+ miles a week and it had been around 3 weeks. Had I driven the 1500+ miles on that truck with atf in the braking system, it would have gotten expensive quick. Nothing bad came of it, but it could have ended horribly.

I also almost drained the tranny fluid in my current truck, instead of the oil. A quick 2nd look as the wrench was on the trans drain bolt, saved my wallet.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:56 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by brandonrr
It is admirable that you admitted your mistake. Not enough people do that these days.

I had a pretty big "oops" on a dodge cummins I once owned. I intended to suck out and refill the power steering fluid, not knowing the last time it was done. I mistakenly sucked out the brake fluid and filled the brake fluid resevoir with atf +4, which is the proper fluid for that generation power steering in the dodges.

It was weeks later, when I went in for an airbag recall, the service writer pointed out the brake fluid reservoir, trying to sell me a brake fluid flush. I bit my tongue, politely declined, and flushed the brake fluid myself when I got home that day. Luckily, I only had about 75 miles on that mistake, thanks to my little Saturn commuter car, and the atf stayed in the resevior and didn't get circulated. I got lucky. I drive 500+ miles a week and it had been around 3 weeks. Had I driven the 1500+ miles on that truck with atf in the braking system, it would have gotten expensive quick. Nothing bad came of it, but it could have ended horribly.

I also almost drained the tranny fluid in my current truck, instead of the oil. A quick 2nd look as the wrench was on the trans drain bolt, saved my wallet.
Yea it's not a good feeling making a simple mistake like this. I've never done anything like this. I've taken motors apart, built them, etc. This is what not paying attention can do. At the time I was chatting with my dad while I was in his shop.

Damn that would have been a big money pit if the atf starting circulating through the abs system. Good thing you caught that.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Years ago I bought a 2004 Audi S4 new from the factory. My first oil change I was talking to another person in the bay at the on base Auto Hobby Shop. I ended up emptying the from differential oil out instead of the engine oil. I had to have the car flatbed towed 40 miles away to the Audi dealer so they could put new fluid in the front differential for me.

Embarrassing as it was, I learned a lesson that day.

Things happen, how we recover from them or learn from them is what really matters.

Quick Reply: I screwed up by not paying attention. Oil change.