1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Ford f350 5.4 lariat engine swap options

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Tmforney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford f350 5.4 lariat engine swap options

Ok first time on this site so I have alot to learn. I was looking into items to help add power because every ford owner knows a 5.4l f350 is way under powered and has trouble getting out of it's own way. Today I was discussing some things I wanted to do like cold air intake and headers, bigger throttle body and throttle body spacer and high flow car. Well my friend brought up about doing an engine swap on it. Now if I would decide to do that I would go to a junkyard but what I want help with for you guys is pretty much everything involved with it. If I did diesel would it have to be the same model years as my 2005. For example would I only be able to get a diesel motor from a 2005 model or what? Being as tho I already have a 350 super duty I would imagine the engine compartment specs/size would be the same as a diesel version. I've read my 4r100 tranny would still work with the diesel but wont be an easy bolt on and also if I were planning on doing heavy hauling then I should upgrade that. Let me know if this is all true or not. Also all the parts I would need from the diesel and amout of time and money (rough estimate is fine). Please anything you guys have to help would be great and any ideas as well would be greatly appreciated. Until today I never considered this as an option so I never really looked into it and there are sooooo many threads about it to look thru. Came here for this cus fords are the best trucks out there and also have the best owners too. Any sort of help is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys

Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
consider a Coyote swap from a mustang or F150. The motors have gotten rather cheap on the used market, Iv'e seem 12k mile examples for as little as $1800. Ford even makes a complete adapter harness and ECU swap kit for $1500. you'll need to figure our how to mesh in the 4R100, and you'll have to add in an electric PS pump, but since it's a mod motor, it should drop right on to your motor mounts and bolt to the 4R100.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Tmforney
New User
Thanks that doesnt sound bad at all. I expected to encounter issues but I'll make it work if I decide too.at least I have somewhere to start now thanks to you. Now I am looking for extra power of course. And preferably diesel.. chances are it will be s long shot for me to do the swap from gas to diesel but I at least wanted to get some other opinions on it just to see if it's worth it if you know what I mean? I just have so much to do with the truck yet its endless it seems haha but thank you again

Old 05-18-2018, 03:36 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
You're starting the post from the premise that the 3V 5.4L F-350 is underpowered, which I consider false.

Want a little more oomph? Regearing the truck. 4.30 or steeper gears (depending on tire size) will be your best bang for the buck.

As far as swapping to a compression ignition engine, there are a lot of kits to install Cummins 5.9L and 6.7L engines into Gen 1 and Gen 2 SD trucks.

The question on the pollution control devices/engine year depend on your local laws.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
^ I completely agree with Redford, if you trully want an engine swap i suggest you buy the truck equiped with the powerplant of your choice. Engine swaps are not cheap and are time consuming, your best bet would be to find a donor truck so you can have all those little odd parts that are hard to come by.
IMHO i would do a gear swap to 4.30 or 4.56 and custom tunes.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easiest Gas to diesel would be to go to a cummins. You can literally buy the entire kit to do it. Its not necessarily bolt in, but the kit would have all the adapters, motor mounts, etc. that you would need.

If it were me, and I were in your position, I would be looking at trading or selling then buying the truck that I want with the engine I want. If you aren't in the position to do that, then a gear swap would do wonders for you and only cost you a couple grand totally setup by a professional.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don’t like the power of your current truck, sell it and buy the truck you want.

Engine swaps aren’t financially sound propositions, unless it’s like for like because the current engine is damaged.

a gas to diesel swap can be done, but, realistically, look at the websites of some of the fabrification companies that offer these kits, and drill down to the cost of the components and assess your own mechanical capability.

In 99% of cases, you would be better off to work a few hours of overtime and ditch your almost 19 year old truck for something newer with the power train you want.

i get a kick out of hearing kids complain that 300 hp isn’t enough, when, not too long ago, an F350 had 147 hp, max.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Tmforney
New User
I'm not doing a swap I really just wanted to get some opinions on it and just find out more info about it. That's all. In my opinion my f350 thst weighs like 6600 lbs with no one In it and no gas in the tank so if u add ppl into it and full tank of gas 3 inch lift and bigger tires it has trouble getting out of it's own way. I drive it so I know. But I do love the triton and has been extremely reliable for me. I had a deposit down on s diesel but when I asked the dealer to remove the aftermarket fender flares to make sure it isnt rusted (most common spot to rust) he tells me " I cant take them off but my garage guy assures me there is no rust" after that I obviously backed away from it and got a really good deal on the 5.4 I currently have but I simply just wanna get the most out of the motor I can for when I tow or haul stuff. Somebody randomly brought up finding a motor in a junk yard so I figured I would get some of ur opinions on it and I appreciate the responses. Ur right its deff not worth it. I might just try to tune it and maybe high flow cat and intake and that's it unless u guys have some other ideas.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Tmforney
New User
And ford upgraded shortly after my 5.4 so they obviously wanted more power too...or maybe it was cus ot the issues they encountered with it. I personally have had no issues with it and has been great for me

Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Tmforney
New User
Originally Posted by finn
If you don’t like the power of your current truck, sell it and buy the truck you want.

Engine swaps aren’t financially sound propositions, unless it’s like for like because the current engine is damaged.

a gas to diesel swap can be done, but, realistically, look at the websites of some of the fabrification companies that offer these kits, and drill down to the cost of the components and assess your own mechanical capability.

In 99% of cases, you would be better off to work a few hours of overtime and ditch your almost 19 year old truck for something newer with the power train you want.

i get a kick out of hearing kids complain that 300 hp isn’t enough, when, not too long ago, an F350 had 147 hp, max.
I wasnt complaining about it. Just simply wanted to get a little extra hp and torque out of it and was curious about the motor swap thats all. And I bust my *** off with overtime so I could remodel my entire house with new siding new windows added front porch and central air and paid it off within a year and a half so unfortunately I dont hshs the luxury of selling my 19 year old truck that I love and took great care of for a newer one

Old 05-19-2018, 12:09 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Leave the kittys stock you wont gain any power unless you are up in 4-6k rpm. Gear it low and tune it, my wifes Excursion has the 2v 5.4 and it sure gain some umph with the 4.30's, Y pipe and 5star tunes.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless I have missed something, this truck is a 2005 so it is just under 14 years old.

I didn't see any mention of a V-10 swap. Is that not feasible, maybe if you had the donor truck available?

Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM
mastersativa
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 03 f250, has the Super 60 front end, 4 inch blocks in rear, came that way, might as well say 350 on it, but it says 250. I have the 5.4, 4.10 gears, scales out at 6440. It does have Gibson headers, throttle body spacer, cat removed, restrictors removed, three inch pipe, magnaflow, and hypertech tuner. Has 285 16's on it, I have no problem with power, tows my 10,000 pound boat and 10,000 pound camper just fine, carries a nine and a half foot western v blade and pushes snow like a tractor. Don't really think is underpowered at all, I think you might just want more power? Your best bet would be just to sell the one you got and buy a diesel.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmforney
I've read my 4r100 tranny would still work with the diesel but wont be an easy bolt on
What you were reading was wrong. 2004 was the last year for the 4R100. All 2005s with automatics had the 5R110W, not the 4R100.

The good news is that the 5R110W will bolt to the diesel engine. The bad news is that the torque converter won't bolt to the flex plate, and anyway it's stall speed is too high for the diesel. You'll need to change to a diesel torque converter. While the trans is out you will need to rebuild it because the 5.4L version of the 5R110W has less clutch plates and won't last long at all behind a diesel. You'll need to upgrade it to 6.0L/6.8L specs.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:59 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your lift kit and oversized tires both go in the direction of hurting performance.

They hurt wind and rolling resistance, and the tires screw up your effective gear ratio.

when you put on the big tires you should have regeared the differentials to get the engine back into the correct rpm band.

low restriction mufflers and cats will make the truck sound louder, but have virtually no effect on low speed performance in the rpm range you normally drive in.
Tuners generally alter the timing curves and lean out the air/fuel mixture, putting the engine closer to the knock limits, ie cutting into the safety margin designed into the calibration by the Ford Engineers.advance. Don’t expect miracles, or be surprised if you melt a few pistons or catalytic converters.

Regear and check back, or sell the truck and buy a 6.2. The 6.2 is what Ford designed to rectify 5.4 performance complaints.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford f350 5.4 lariat engine swap options