6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

odd noise at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
odd noise at startup

I have only owned the truck for a couple weeks. Still learning whats normal. A couple times I have started it up and heard a strange noise. Sounds like its coming from the exhaust. To me it sounds like a bad bearing, not a crank or cam bearing.

noise, anybody know what this sound is?

Old 05-15-2018, 10:31 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
There is little chance for someone here to tell you what your problem is, unless you either get more specific or post a video of the noise. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. The FTE forums are full of people eager to help, but you have given us very little to work with.

my first guess would be the turbo, but that is a shot in the dark to say the least

Is the truck DPF deleted?
year? Mileage?
popping sound? Whooshing sound? Knocking sound? Scraping sound? Grinding/squealing sound? Etc...

posting a video of the noise would be very helpful. The easiest way is to post it on YouTube and copy the link here.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
that sound is not normal.

This is a used truck.

I would start with checking the clutch fan.....but it sounds turbo related to me.

What year and miles are on the truck?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
It kinda has the whine of a hydraulic pump. How’s the power steering fluid? Any visible leaks? Does the power steering fluid smell burnt?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Originally Posted by brandonrr
There is little chance for someone here to tell you what your problem is, unless you either get more specific or post a video of the noise. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. The FTE forums are full of people eager to help, but you have given us very little to work with.

my first guess would be the turbo, but that is a shot in the dark to say the least

Is the truck DPF deleted?
year? Mileage?
popping sound? Whooshing sound? Knocking sound? Scraping sound? Grinding/squealing sound? Etc...

posting a video of the noise would be very helpful. The easiest way is to post it on YouTube and copy the link here.
There is a link to the video in my post,
154k miles
Not deleted

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Originally Posted by senix
that sound is not normal.

This is a used truck.

I would start with checking the clutch fan.....but it sounds turbo related to me.

What year and miles are on the truck?
Yes, 2013 model
Since the noise seems to resonate from the exhaust I was thinking turbo as well. Hoping for a cheaper answer. Will check the fan clutch.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:08 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue with a 2012 F-550, approximately 72,000 miles. Already replaced the tensioner, both idlers and belt, A/C Compressor as I could see the clutch engage/dis-engage to start/stop the whine. Replaced power steering fluid a well. Noise only at operating temperature, and at idle. If you bump into Park, or Neutral, it may stop it, but not always. I've had a mechanics stethoscope on all bearings associated with the serpentine belt, and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of them. I was already planning on installing the S&S DPK, so I'll use that as an excuse to pull the intake and check for exhaust leaks while I'm in there. The wife, with MUCH better hearing than me, seems to think it is coming from the centerline of the engine compartment, possibly something under the intake area. If anyone has any other ideas please let us know as this is annoying. Thanks.