1985 f150 build - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 f150 build

Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1985 f150 build

purchased an 85 f150 about a year ago. Solid 12 months of running around. Time to pull the motor, rebuild, and keep things moving. Nasty rear main seal leak, dripping all over tranny. Dropped fluids today, pulled coolant system. Will hopefully pull motor next weekend. Will attempt to document this build and harass all the old heads while i do it. Not really looking for a “fast truck.” More so a well built 302 that runs correctly, is loud as hell, and lets me drag my kiddos to the gas station for a beer run on the weekends.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:09 AM
1986F150six
Post Fiend
1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to your progress!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post
purchased an 85 f150 about a year ago.
Carburetor or EFI ?
Best of luck !!

Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Carburetor or EFI ?
Best of luck !!
carbureted. Past owner slapped a Holley double pumper on the motor and claims to have a bit of performance upgrades. Bit of overkill? Don’t ya think? Interested to see what’s actually inside the motor once it’s dug out. Motor has been pulled before, so who knows what little gems it may hold.

If the motor ends up being basically stock, it’s safe to say that massive carb isn’t really doing me any good, right?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future

carbureted. Past owner slapped a Holley double pumper on the motor and claims to have a bit of performance upgrades. Bit of overkill? Don’t ya think? Interested to see what’s actually inside the motor once it’s dug out. Motor has been pulled before, so who knows what little gems it may hold.

If the motor ends up being basically stock, it’s safe to say that massive carb isn’t really doing me any good, right?
What does it do when you slam the gas pedal to the floor when in high gear?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On a stock engine you will get faster acceleration, a higher top end, and burn more fuel (because you foot will be in it more).
I don't know the rest of the story, somebody else should chime in here on this.
You might get 25 hp extra, maybe.....
Now, if it is an aluminum double pumper, then it doesn't matter, because they look so good,,,,

Old 05-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
What does it do when you slam the gas pedal to the floor when in high gear?

gets up and goooooo’s. Truck was actually pretty quick for what it was, kinda why I just left it alone. Would chirp the wheels out of a stop, and then has some serious top end gusto.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
On a stock engine you will get faster acceleration, a higher top end, and burn more fuel.

hmmm. So if gas milage isn’t an issue, just leave it be.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
On a stock engine you will get faster acceleration, a higher top end, and burn more fuel.
With a double pumper on a stock 302 in a heavy truck? I expect a huge cough and bog from a double pumper when it's slammed to the floorboard, but maybe I can learn something here.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:43 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
hmmm. So if gas mileage isn’t an issue, just leave it be.
Gas mileage will be better than the 2 bbl, if you don't put your foot in it..

Old 05-14-2018, 05:53 PM
matthewq4b
Posting Guru
matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.
With a double pumper on a stock 302 in a heavy truck? I expect a huge cough and bog from a double pumper when it's slammed to the floorboard, but maybe I can learn something here.
If not tuned properly then yes you would get a big bog and cloud of black smoke. But dialed in and you will get better acceleration than any vacuum secondary. Ideally on a close to stock engine you want progressive secondary's on a double pumper. This will allow you to cruise to on just the primary venturis.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:10 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
Stock exhaust ?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Not if tuned right but you have to start with the right size carb.
I had Holley's 650HP & 750HP DP on a 360 and the 650 ran and felt great, swapped on the 750 and it had a big bog.
I did a lot of tuning of carb & timing and never really got rid of it but was able to live with it.
Thing was the 650 & 750 got the same times at the track I was just to lazy to put the 650 back on.

You can also get a bog with a vacuum carb if it opens to quickly. That is why they have different springs to adjust how fast they open.

IIRC as a rule the DP is used on stick trany cars/trucks and the vacuum used on auto tranys
Dave ----

Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
starting to think motor is a lot less “stock” than I thought. 🤷*♀️

Old 05-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Bmoodie10
New User
Stock exhaust ?
straight pipes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.