1985 f150 build - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 f150 build

  #16  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 PM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 8,136
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post

carbureted. Past owner slapped a Holley double pumper on the motor and claims to have a bit of performance upgrades. Bit of overkill? Don’t ya think? Interested to see what’s actually inside the motor once it’s dug out. Motor has been pulled before, so who knows what little gems it may hold.

If the motor ends up being basically stock, it’s safe to say that massive carb isn’t really doing me any good, right?
If you are talking about the carb in the picture you posted that is not a Holley DP but a vacuum secondary carb.
There should be a list number on the choke horn. If you take that number to Holley's site you should be able to find what the carb left the factory with, jet sizes, secondary spring color, secondary plate number, squirter size and accel pump size (most are 30cc) to name a few things.
Dave ----
 
  #17  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
If you are talking about the carb in the picture you posted that is not a Holley DP but a vacuum secondary carb.
There should be a list number on the choke horn. If you take that number to Holley's site you should be able to find what the carb left the factory with, jet sizes, secondary spring color, secondary plate number, squirter size and accel pump size (most are 30cc) to name a few things.
Dave ----
whoops! Sorry about that. I assumed that it was a ďDPĒ because of the fuel lines, little did I know... Holley 670. Iíll take the lashings in the form of verbal embarrassment!
 
  #18  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Franklin2's Avatar
Franklin2
Franklin2 is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Market, VA
Posts: 42,047
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Gas mileage will be better than the 2 bbl, if you don't put your foot in it..
I am not sure I agree with the above either. A 500 cfm 2bbl will have two large butterflies and venturi's while a 500-600cfm 4 barrel will have 4 smaller butterflies and smaller primary venturi. Theoretically you could get a better atomization from the smaller primaries on the 4bbl correct?
 
  #19  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:26 PM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 8,136
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
I am not sure I agree with the above either. A 500 cfm 2bbl will have two large butterflies and venturi's while a 500-600cfm 4 barrel will have 4 smaller butterflies and smaller primary venturi. Theoretically you could get a better atomization from the smaller primaries on the 4bbl correct?
Yes and better MPG because of the small primaries if you keep your foot out of it.
Dave ----
 
  #20  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 PM
vjsimone's Avatar
vjsimone
vjsimone is offline
Old-Timer
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Somewhere in America
Posts: 2,363
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post
purchased an 85 f150 about a year ago.
What is your engine code in your VIN ?
8th Position/Digit
 
  #21  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=vjsimone;17985915]What is your engine code in your VIN ?
8th Position/Digit[/QUOTE

Has an f250 cab from another truck, not sure if thatíll help me any.
 
  #22  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 PM
James Wagoner's Avatar
James Wagoner
James Wagoner is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 325
James Wagoner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post
Has an f250 cab from another truck, not sure if thatíll help me any.
Ha! Know what feels like. My wheelbase doesn't match with what I measured. Most other things match up but don't really trust it only to get the title
 
  #23  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by James Wagoner View Post
Ha! Know what feels like. My wheelbase doesn't match with what I measured. Most other things match up but don't really trust it only to get the title

help me out then. How different are the cabs between the trucks? I know your pain!! Ha!
 
  #24  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:57 PM
James Wagoner's Avatar
James Wagoner
James Wagoner is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 325
James Wagoner is starting off with a positive reputation.
From Gary's Garagemahal, I know that the floor pan is different depending on the size of cab; Standard, Supercab, and Crewcab, then Bronco pans. Seat Interchangeability - ???Gary's Garagemahal

How it would mount on other frames? I couldn't answer with certainty. My suspected cab swap might be typo from the factory. Forged Papers - Chronicles of "Dan" the 85 F-250
 
  #25  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by James Wagoner View Post
From Gary's Garagemahal, I know that the floor pan is different depending on the size of cab; Standard, Supercab, and Crewcab, then Bronco pans. Seat Interchangeability - ???Gary's Garagemahal

How it would mount on other frames? I couldn't answer with certainty. My suspected cab swap might be typo from the factory. Forged Papers - Chronicles of "Dan" the 85 F-250
heard that, will study those links. My cab came off a diseal, led to all sorts of weird emissions stuff floating around. Doing a full strip and removing everything, hoping for a very clean engine bay when itís all said and done.
 
  #26  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 PM
vjsimone's Avatar
vjsimone
vjsimone is offline
Old-Timer
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Somewhere in America
Posts: 2,363
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsimone
Gas mileage will be better than the 2 bbl, if you don't put your foot in it..
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
I am not sure I agree with the above either. A 500 cfm 2bbl will have two large butterflies and venturi's while a 500-600cfm 4 barrel will have 4 smaller butterflies and smaller primary venturi. Theoretically you could get a better atomization from the smaller primaries on the 4bbl correct?
After looking closer at a Holley 670, the primaries and secondaries look to be the same size, therefor I retract my statement.
If it were a spread-bore design, I would say the mpg from the primaries would be better than a square bore style.....

I believe the 1985 302 had a 2150 2bbl, with about 240 to 350 CFM.
 
  #27  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsimone
Gas mileage will be better than the 2 bbl, if you don't put your foot in it..


After looking closer at a Holley 670, the primaries and secondaries look to be the same size, therefor I retract my statement.
If it were a spread-bore design, I would say the mpg from the primaries would be better than a square bore style.....

I believe the 1985 302 had a 2150 2bbl, with about 240 to 350 CFM.

Any thoughts on the Holley 670? Too big? Seems to be a rather old model 670 on the truck and the choke assist is completely gone. Local guy will clean it up and rebuild it if I want to hold on to it, but Iím open to swapping it out.
 
  #28  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM
vjsimone's Avatar
vjsimone
vjsimone is offline
Old-Timer
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Somewhere in America
Posts: 2,363
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post
Any thoughts on the Holley 670? Too big? Seems to be a rather old model 670 on the truck and the choke assist is completely gone. Local guy will clean it up and rebuild it if I want to hold on to it, but Iím open to swapping it out.
You will get many opinions I'm sure, mine is; stick with the 670, rebuild if necessary... parts are available for it...
Not to big, and if it doesn't bog, you're good to go....
 
  #29  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM
FuzzFace2's Avatar
FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 8,136
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10 View Post


Any thoughts on the Holley 670? Too big? Seems to be a rather old model 670 on the truck and the choke assist is completely gone. Local guy will clean it up and rebuild it if I want to hold on to it, but Iím open to swapping it out.
If you want to look up more information on that carb look up "Holley truck avenger carb" in your size.

Also that "choke assist" you say is gone is a manual choke and works with a cable. When cold you pull the "choke ****" out to close the choke, start the motor and as soon as it starts push it in about half way. Once the motor warms up push it in all the way. Now that was a quick how to and adjustments of how far in or out may be needed.

Know any carb put on a motor either factory or aftermarket need "tweaking".
Factory you can only "tweak" so far, idle mix & speed, maybe choke setting & speed. Far off maybe jet changes as you then need to open the carb up.
Aftermarket carbs, Holley's, are made to adjust everything. The list number on the carb can tell you what the carb left the factory with as a starting place.
Some times it just needs idle mix & speed and it is set. Other times everything needs to be tweaked from accel pump size & squirter, power valve, jets, secondary springs even air bleeds on some.

I would say if that carb ran well then rebuild it and use it. When it is rebuilt have him write down the PV, squirter size, jet size and color of spring so you know what it has so you know if needing tweaking how to go.
If you can't tell I like Holley's, have 3 cars with them on and 1 of them is a v2 carb, half a v4 like yours.
Dave ----
 
  #30  
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Bmoodie10
Bmoodie10 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bmoodie10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very cool. Looked up a bit of info, and will keep reading. First time tearing apart a motor this old, always worked on EFI motors. You answered my thoughts on the manual choke. Cable isnít set up right now so you have to pull the olí jump in and out of the truck when it starts. Truck ran decently, albeit it was a very rich ratio. (If Iím even saying that correctly) will most likely have it cleaned up and start things over fresh. Thanks for the info.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 f150 build


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.