Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

transmission cooling

Old 05-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Byrd.Dog
Senior User
Byrd.Dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
transmission cooling

Didn't see a forum specifically for transmissions, so I figured I'd just post here where I hang out the most. I've got a C6 that's currently plumbed into an integrated cooler in my radiator. I'm thinking about going with a dedicated tranny cooler & wondered if anyone had any experience with the "Heat Sink" type coolers? I like the look and the form factor, & it looks like they're full flow. Opinions???

Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
My opinion is to NOT delete the radiator cooler. It's a highly efficient cooler and you'll lose a lot of cooling if you remove it.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:07 AM
Byrd.Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
My opinion is to NOT delete the radiator cooler. It's a highly efficient cooler and you'll lose a lot of cooling if you remove it.
Even the aftermarket ones like champion?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You can add an aftermarket cooler, but run the ATF through the radiator cooler first.

I don't know what a champion cooler is. Do you have a link to it?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 AM
Byrd.Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
You can add an aftermarket cooler, but run the ATF through the radiator cooler first.

I don't know what a champion cooler is. Do you have a link to it?
This is it: CC433

I also have the shroud & electric fans

Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
It has a built in transmission cooler. I'd use it.

The reason that the transmission coolers inside a radiator are so efficient is that there is engine coolant surrounding the hot ATF. Water is a FAR better means of extracting heat than air is, so even if the transmission cooler is just a loop of tubing inside the cold end tank it will still remove a lot of heat from the ATF. Then send the ATF to an air to oil cooler out front to cool the ATF even more.