Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my luck continues.....

Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Josh Rowe Sr. is starting off with a positive reputation.
my luck continues.....

I am having a new issue now. seems 2nd and 3rd gear around 2000-2200 rpm's is kinda bogging down, not wanting to shift. its weird, doesn't feel like the trans tho. only happens when i put the gas pedel about halfway down. taking off slowly or stomping on the gas shifts just fine. 1st,4th and 5th shift just fine. I'm really hoping its not the trans. PO had it rebuilt about 50k miles ago. any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:51 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
If you have a tuner remove it and see if the problem clears up.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
nope, no tuner.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Tomorrow I will be removing the valve covers to test the injectors. Also need to check the manifolds for leaks. Anything else I should be looking for?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 AM
'88 E-350
Senior User
'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
5 speed auto with a 7.3??

Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 AM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Throttle position sensor on the pedal may be gunked up and you have a "flat spot" in it.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
5 speed auto with a 7.3??
yes auto with 7.3

Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
Throttle position sensor on the pedal may be gunked up and you have a "flat spot" in it.
I will look into that, thanks

Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Josh Rowe Sr. View Post
Tomorrow I will be removing the valve covers to test the injectors. Also need to check the manifolds for leaks. Anything else I should be looking for?

120 in/lbs is OEM spec for the Injector Hold Down Bolts. Some may disagree with this approach; however, I increase the torque on them to no less than 130 in/lbs and no more than 140 in/lbs. using an inch pound rated torque wrench. You may want to consider the 50 cent mod as well.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:37 AM
'88 E-350
Senior User
'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've never heard of any truck that came with a 5 speed auto and 7.3. Is it a transplant?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Originally Posted by jhl3 View Post

120 in/lbs is OEM spec for the Injector Hold Down Bolts. Some may disagree with this approach; however, I increase the torque on them to no less than 130 in/lbs and no more than 140 in/lbs. using an inch pound rated torque wrench. You may want to consider the 50 cent mod as well.
50 cent mod?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
I've never heard of any truck that came with a 5 speed auto and 7.3. Is it a transplant?
maybe it is 4. kinda new to this truck and diesel thing lol. but with overdrive on seems it goes thru 5 gears. I build houses not trucks but i can't afford a mechanic, but i'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. After researching everything possible of course lol

Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 AM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
What feels like 5 gears is actually the TC locking up. I

Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM
'88 E-350
Senior User
maybe it is 4. kinda new to this truck and diesel thing lol. but with overdrive on seems it goes thru 5 gears. I build houses not trucks but i can't afford a mechanic, but i'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. After researching everything possible of course lol
Ok, you're probably noticing the torque converter clutch kicking in and assuming it's another gear, easy to do. Maybe describe the "bogging down" better and which shifts. You close with "1st, 4th, & 5th feel fine"; does that mean a power loss occurs at the 1st shift, from 1st gear to 2nd and remains low on power though the next shift, then regains power on the next shift? Or is it that after those first couple shifts the RPM has climbed and therefore giving more power? If I recall correctly, the TC clutch kicks in in second gear, depending on conditions. At that point it might feel like a bit bogged down, fairly normal. That would be the third felt shift going from 2nd gear TC unlocked to 2nd gear locked.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:48 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
50 cent mod?
Link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8408158

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my luck continues.....

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.