Forscan

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Forscan

Hey everybody!
I'm getting ready to buy a factory electric brake controller on line ($100 less than stealership price), and it needs to be activated.
I've called the local stealerships this morning and about fell out of my chair after being told $135 for what should take minutes. I've turned a wrench a long time, and I know plenty of shops get an hour minimum.
I'm debating on using the free Forscan download, and buying the USB to OBD2 adapter and doing this myself. My question is have any of you used the Forscan download for this or other things like enabling Daytime Running Lights, etc?

Unk Bob

Old 05-09-2018, 12:18 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 305 Likes on 280 Posts
Looking at adding the OE controller myself and was wondering about activating it.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tiny1
Looking at adding the OE controller myself and was wondering about activating it.
I borrowed a buddy's car trailer a couple of weekends ago to haul my 79' (Ka'Bluey) to go play in the mud for a day.
On the way back, I came up to an intersection and the light went from green to yellow. I applied the brakes, and the loaded trailer pushed me into the intersection. So.....now I want a brake controller so that doesn't happen again.
The best price I found for the controller is at https://www.google.com/search?q=2013...34963694932463. Ford priced me $255 for the controller.
Everything is there to plug it in. The male plug can usually be found to the right of the OBD2 connector, taped to a metal bracket. But the controller does have to be activated.
Our local Stealership wants $135 to activate it, (Forscan) What's new is a free to download program and I've found some really good videos on youtube. There is an adapter that is needed to plug into your computers USB port, and convert to the trucks OBD2 connector. It's $20 to $30 on line.

Unk Bob

Old 05-09-2018, 03:47 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 305 Likes on 280 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Hey everybody!
I'm getting ready to buy a factory electric brake controller on line ($100 less than stealership price), and it needs to be activated.
I've called the local stealerships this morning and about fell out of my chair after being told $135 for what should take minutes. I've turned a wrench a long time, and I know plenty of shops get an hour minimum.
I'm debating on using the free Forscan download, and buying the USB to OBD2 adapter and doing this myself. My question is have any of you used the Forscan download for this or other things like enabling Daytime Running Lights, etc?

Unk Bob
Yes. Forscan is your friend. I have changed clusters, activated remote start, disabled light out warning and turned my fog lights into my DRLs. I also changed my APIM as built to U.S. truck specs.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Olytlr
Yes. Forscan is your friend. I have changed clusters, activated remote start, disabled light out warning and turned my fog lights into my DRLs. I also changed my APIM as built to U.S. truck specs.
That's what I'm wanting to hear. I'm wondering what other options I can find that the truck has, that aren't activated. I did see a video about activating the remote start, after buying that antenna, but it didn't show much to activate a blank key that comes with the kit.

Unk Bob

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ubereal2
That's what I'm wanting to hear. I'm wondering what other options I can find that the truck has, that aren't activated. I did see a video about activating the remote start, after buying that antenna, but it didn't show much to activate a blank key that comes with the kit.

Unk Bob
You can program the key yourself if you have two individually programmed keys.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Olytlr
You can program the key yourself if you have two individually programmed keys.
I do have two programmed keys, I'm lucky there.
How do I go about getting the vehicle spreadsheet for my truck?
It's a 2013 F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 with the 5.0.
I'm not great with computers.

Unk Bob

Old 05-10-2018, 05:11 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check my signature or here for all forscan changes possible (that we know of right now)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Edit* I would also read the how to on the instructions tab.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
Check my signature or here for all forscan changes possible (that we know of right now)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Edit* I would also read the how to on the instructions tab.
Sweet, I need to get my trailer brakes activated before we start pulling another trailer.
I do appreciate all of the help.

Unk Bob

Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you first back up all your modules to your computer or an external drive. I've made quite a few changes with it on my truck, including the factory brake controller, remote start, DRLs, changing the blinkers from 3 to 5, etc.

Again, back up all your modules before you do anything else. I can verify this interface cable on Amazon works well.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
The one thing, above all else, that I wish FORSCAN could do is permanently disable the window bounce-back feature. That is the one most annoying PITA asinine thing ever incorporated into a vehicle.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zxwut?
Just make sure you first back up all your modules to your computer or an external drive. I've made quite a few changes with it on my truck, including the factory brake controller, remote start, DRLs, changing the blinkers from 3 to 5, etc.

Again, back up all your modules before you do anything else. I can verify this interface cable on Amazon works well.
I do like the idea of going from 3. to 5 flashes on the turn signal.

Unk Bob

Old 05-12-2018, 08:31 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zxwut?

Thanks for bringing that up, I've seen that on one of the many videos that I've been watching.
Unk Bob

Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 PM
downtowner99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - I gotta jump in here. I have been struggling to get my extended license key to load, with no joy. I have followed the nice tutorials on the Forscan site, but I do not get the same results when I go to load the key into the program, when clicking the "Load License key" button. Nothing I try works, but the Forscan file shows up.
I have posted my problem on the Forscan forum; however their method does not work.
ANYONE else have this problem, or is it just me ?? I have watched videos, I have read along using the example on the forum- my computer does not let me open the file- I know, you do not have to open it, but it will not do anything else but say Windows cannot open this file.
Anyone else????
TIA !

Quick Reply: Forscan