2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rear Camera Screen is Blue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 AM
jeffgreenx
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Camera Screen is Blue...

When backing into my parking spot at work this morning, my screen was blue and the camera wasn't working. I can only assume that somewhere a connection is loose. I just went outside with my phone to take a picture of the blue screen and it worked just fine. Can anyone tell me where the connections are for the rear camera? We did have a pretty violent thunderstorm last night, which is the only thing I can think of being out of the ordinary. However, I don't see how that could do much since the truck was parked, and things probably get more wet when I use the power washer.

Thoughts?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
360 camera or not?
On the 360, when I disconnect the camera (remove tailgate for a truck camper), the display is black where the camera would show (ie camera gathering no light). The rest of the 360 view still shows its images. Never saw a blue screen when disconnecting camera.
Also, it sets a DTC when the camera is disconnected. No indicator light, but you can pull it with a OBDII reader/FORSCAN. That would be the first place I'd check - see if any codes were set.
If no other indications, pull the connectors apart (aft of spare tire, drivers side of centerline) and make sure they are dry and add some dielectric grease to the big electrical connector.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM
jeffgreenx
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by nuctrooper
360 camera or not?
On the 360, when I disconnect the camera (remove tailgate for a truck camper), the display is black where the camera would show (ie camera gathering no light). The rest of the 360 view still shows its images. Never saw a blue screen when disconnecting camera.
Also, it sets a DTC when the camera is disconnected. No indicator light, but you can pull it with a OBDII reader/FORSCAN. That would be the first place I'd check - see if any codes were set.
If no other indications, pull the connectors apart (aft of spare tire, drivers side of centerline) and make sure they are dry and add some dielectric grease to the big electrical connector.
It's not a 360 camera, just the standard back up camera on the tailgate. Is this connection the notorious one that everyone has seemed to have issues with?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffgreenx
It's not a 360 camera, just the standard back up camera on the tailgate. Is this connection the notorious one that everyone has seemed to have issues with?
Not the one that causes the intermittent cruise control and other warnings. Good to clean both while you're under there, though. This one is a little smaller. You can follow the cable from where it comes through the tailgate and hole in the bed in the tailgate gap on drivers side of centerline. The notorious one is in the same area, but on the passenger side of centerline.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:44 PM
ltr
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2016 would do that if the sun was shining directly into it or if it was really hot from the sun shining on it after being parked

Old 05-08-2018, 05:43 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have an auxiliary camera option? Mine shows a blue screen since nothing's installed there yet and I think it'll stay on aux until I change it back. Though it does have 360 and Ultimate Tow. I've only had it a week, so not as well versed in every single option/feature, but throwing it out there in case you do

Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 PM
jeffgreenx
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by ymsmiley
Do you have an auxiliary camera option? Mine shows a blue screen since nothing's installed there yet and I think it'll stay on aux until I change it back. Though it does have 360 and Ultimate Tow. I've only had it a week, so not as well versed in every single option/feature, but throwing it out there in case you do
I'm not sure what you mean by "auxiliary camera option". I just have the standard reverse camera on the tailgate, and the bed camera (no problems there). For what it's worth, it has worked perfectly fine the last couple days. No issues at all. I inspected connections and they seem fine. I guess I'll leave well enough alone unless it goes out again.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 PM
wheresjames
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Had the blue screen when reversing into a spot today. While running I opened and closed the tailgate and that didn't fix the issue. I turned off the truck and restarted and everything was normal. Weird.