Snow plow prep package question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Snow plow prep package question

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Crabbman P
Senior User
Crabbman P is starting off with a positive reputation.

Why do so many trucks on the lots have the "snow plow prep package"? Is there some other advantages having it above and beyond adding a snow plow, which I'm sure most of us would never add? Does it affect the ride or handling of the truck?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Crabbman P View Post
Why do so many trucks on the lots have the "snow plow prep package"? Is there some other advantages having it above and beyond adding a snow plow, which I'm sure most of us would never add? Does it affect the ride or handling of the truck?
There's a few reasons.
-the front springs match the rear (almost). Stiff rear springs and soft front, feels a bit weird to me.
-It's at least an inch taller than the soft front springs
-Tows great, less porpoising
-If you don't have proper shocks that can dampen serious hits, you can use extra stiff progressive springs to Bandaid the situation. If you want a softer ride, but still soak up big bumps, you need to spend serious $$$$ on shocks, then softer linear springs.
-You get one big HD alternator.
-A winch and winch bumper weight as much as a plow. LOL.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Crabbman P
Senior User
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
There's a few reasons.
-the front springs match the rear (almost). Stiff rear springs and soft front, feels a bit weird to me.
-It's at least an inch taller than the soft front springs
-Tows great, less porpoising
-If you don't have proper shocks that can dampen serious hits, you can use extra stiff progressive springs to Bandaid the situation. If you want a softer ride, but still soak up big bumps, you need to spend serious $$$$ on shocks, then softer linear springs.
-You get one big HD alternator.
-A winch and winch bumper weight as much as a plow. LOL.
Thanks for the info. I will be towing a TT so that will be a plus. The trucks I'm looking at are CCSB XL with the STX and FX4 packages.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:43 PM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
The simple answer is that is how you get maximum rated springs and rating on the front end. If you get the snow plow in any truck you get a 5990# rated front end. If you do not spec that package there are multiple ratings that the computer could assign to your spring rates because it seems that most consumers are worried about ride over capability. There used to be a "max spring" option but no more.

As an fyi, the HD spring option just raises the springs one level from what the computer would select for any given build. The HD option is if you want to run a heavy bumper and/or winch bumper. A snow plow puts a lot of force on the front end so the higher rated is needed, others may select it just to have a heavier duty truck. It would seem the dealer you are looking at have consumers that rate capability over ride.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 PM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
The biggest thing is higher spring rate from min 5200 to 6k

​​​​​​The rake is less, I have plow package and dual HD alt on my 18. I belive the setting on the cooling fan is set different.....was on earlier models.

I prefer the slightly stiffer ride. My 17 Platinum didn't have it and it handle my plow just fine.

My plow setup is 1100 pounds.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 PM
nosualc
Junior User
nosualc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm gonna put a plow on mine (it's the primary reason I got a SD), but I understand some guys here in snow country (MN) get it because it makes it easier to sell. Even if they don't need it, the next guy may want it.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:04 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
The simple answer is that is how you get maximum rated springs and rating on the front end. If you get the snow plow in any truck you get a 5990# rated front end. If you do not spec that package there are multiple ratings that the computer could assign to your spring rates because it seems that most consumers are worried about ride over capability. There used to be a "max spring" option but no more.

As an fyi, the HD spring option just raises the springs one level from what the computer would select for any given build. The HD option is if you want to run a heavy bumper and/or winch bumper. A snow plow puts a lot of force on the front end so the higher rated is needed, others may select it just to have a heavier duty truck. It would seem the dealer you are looking at have consumers that rate capability over ride.
You are spot on here. I got the SP Prep Package for a HD Bumper and winch. Wanted the ability for the truck to handle it rather than deal with it. I see many-many trucks around here making do with a plow with no extra capacity front end improvements. I see F-150's Doing a doggy walk on the front tires with a oversized plow and the rear hiked up pretty good. Can't see how the truck even gets any traction other than from the front end. Anyway, to me it's a good option all around as well as an option to consider for a resale.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Sterling_47ag
Senior User
Sterling_47ag is starting off with a positive reputation.
For what it's worth this is my 1st super duty having 7 F150's prior. My SD has both the camper/snow plow prep. I went with upgrading shocks to the Rancho 9000s. The stock ranchos are a joke. I've read some negative feedback on the longevity of the ranchos but I can't comment yet cause I've had them for about 3k miles. That said my SD rides darn near as good as my F150s did. I tow often, all season in the Midwest. I like the extra stability. Reading other sections a set of Fox Shocks with res might be in my future.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Crabbman P
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's 185 bucks well spent. I figured there has to be some other reasons for it since I live in Virginia where snow plowing is not the concern it is up north.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:18 AM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is starting off with a positive reputation.

Here's a comparison of a '17 F-250 without the plow package vs an '18 F-350 with plow package. There is a couple of inches difference in the front but almost even in the back. Both trucks have 20" wheels & 6.7's. The F-250 does have about 52k miles on it vs the 5k on the 350.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Every inch counts. (except if your stealing girlfriends from dodge owners, then you only need a few)

If the spring s bother you, when you change your front shocks out, it's a 5 min chore to move your jack and pull out your front springs. And I think OEM springs are pretty cheap. Hardest part is adjusting the steering rod so the wheel is straight.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM
BillyE
Senior User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Didnít see it mentioned earlier, but the snow plow prep package also bumps you up to bigger alternators.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:12 PM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BillyE View Post
Didnít see it mentioned earlier, but the snow plow prep package also bumps you up to bigger alternators.
I guess you did not read the thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
BillyE
Senior User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo View Post
I guess you did not read the thread
thanks, *******

Old 05-09-2018, 01:08 PM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow plow prep package question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.